Little League World Series

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

SD Cat
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Little League World Series

Post by SD Cat » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:03 am

John K wrote:This format seems grossly unfair. Cali and Montana could each finish with one loss, having split thier two head to head games, but Cali would win the championship. I'm sorry, but that's just not right IMHO.
I agree.....pretty dumb. How hard would it be to play a double-header on Saturday? Oh well, we are going to beat em' again anyway!

Regarding the Bleacher Report articles, do the "writers" realize that they don't have to make obnoxious predictions about the outcome of every game in order to be a sport's writer/blogger?

**The BN Member formerly known as MM7CAT**

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:43 am

Fantastic musical tribute to the Big Sky all-stars!

http://216.187.185.125/BSLL/audio/BigSk ... League.mp3

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:02 am

Billings beat Cali once, so it's certainly possible to beat them again, but I'm afraid that it's going to be a tall order for Billings to beat Cali twice. They've outscored their four opponents by a combined 23-1 in four games....23-0 against everyone but Billings. Essentially, it's double elimination for 7 of the 8 teams, but single elimination for one team....that is a bunch of BS. If it's not going to be a true double elimination for all 8 teams, then the winner of the first game between the last two undefeated teams should be the champion.

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:08 am

John K wrote:Billings beat Cali once, so it's certainly possible to beat them again, but I'm afraid that it's going to be a tall order for Billings to beat Cali twice. They've outscored their four opponents by a combined 23-1 in four games....23-0 against everyone but Billings. Essentially, it's double elimination for 7 of the 8 teams, but single elimination for one team....that is a bunch of BS. If it's not going to be a true double elimination for all 8 teams, then the winner of the first game between the last two undefeated teams should be the champion.

I don't think Cali will have either of their top 2 pitchers available tomorrow and the have only scored 2 runs in their last two games. That 23-0 is misleading and not statistically significant. I would guess that Zimmer will be pitching and he did a good job of shutting down Louisiana. Hopefully, MT will be able to score some runs early agains the #3 pitcher from Cali.

IYAACYAS

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:25 am

Rich K wrote:
gocats wrote:We need to get those kids here for a game, and introduce them on the field, win or lose the championship. It's never too early to recruit fans and potential future Bobcats. Keep them away from hippie ville.
What a rush to have 18,000 fans cheering and shaking cowbells. I'd bet those lids would remember that forever also.
We need to get those kids here for THE game.
By THE game I obviously mean Cat/Griz.

More than that, the ultimate Cat/Griz game televised on ESPN with Brent Mussburger broadcasting.

Talk about a sweeeeeeet afternoon that would be!

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:26 am

CPACAT wrote:
John K wrote:Billings beat Cali once, so it's certainly possible to beat them again, but I'm afraid that it's going to be a tall order for Billings to beat Cali twice. They've outscored their four opponents by a combined 23-1 in four games....23-0 against everyone but Billings. Essentially, it's double elimination for 7 of the 8 teams, but single elimination for one team....that is a bunch of BS. If it's not going to be a true double elimination for all 8 teams, then the winner of the first game between the last two undefeated teams should be the champion.

I don't think Cali will have either of their top 2 pitchers available tomorrow and the have only scored 2 runs in their last two games. That 23-0 is misleading and not statistically significant. I would guess that Zimmer will be pitching and he did a good job of shutting down Louisiana. Hopefully, MT will be able to score some runs early agains the #3 pitcher from Cali.
Their top pitcher (pitched vs. Billings last time) is available for 35 pitches. They pulled him vs. MT when he hit 50. 35 pitches could get that kid into the 3rd or 4th. MT needs good long AB's, similar to what Japan did to Venezuela yesterday--they had over 30 foul balls!

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:32 am

While I get it that some think it is unfair if you are thinking of a traditional double elimination tourney. However that isn't what this is, it is a two-phase tournament. The first phase is a double elimination tourney, the two teams left at the end of that get to move on to the championship round which is single elimination. They used to do the first part as a round robin pool play (think soccer world cup), they just changed it to double elimination tourney style.

The "reward" for Billings punching their ticket to the championship undefeated was that they didn't have to play another game to get there. As tdub said, that means a ton with pitch counts.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

mousegriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by mousegriz » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:57 pm

Billings Little League team will make their 5th and 6th national TV appearances this weekend.

How many Bobcat athletic events have ever been nationally televised?

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:04 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
CPACAT wrote:

Their top pitcher (pitched vs. Billings last time) is available for 35 pitches. They pulled him vs. MT when he hit 50. 35 pitches could get that kid into the 3rd or 4th. MT needs good long AB's, similar to what Japan did to Venezuela yesterday--they had over 30 foul balls!

My understanding, which may be wrong, is that if he pitched 50 pitches he had to have 3 days rest, which would be Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. The 85 pitch limit is the maximum for one game. One you pitch in a game the pitches below 85 do not carry over.

My mistake. at 50 pitches he has to have 2 days rest. So if he was out at 50 then he will ahve 85 pitches and can pitch tomorrow.
Last edited by CPACAT on Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IYAACYAS

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:09 pm

CPACAT wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
CPACAT wrote:

My understanding, which may be wrong, is that if he pitched 50 pitches he had to have 3 days rest, which would be Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. The 85 pitch limit is the maximum for one game. One you pitch in a game the pitches below 85 do not carry over.
Could be correct. I hope he can't pitch.

bcats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bcats » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:21 pm

He will be available to pitch. Hopefully the Montana kids got enough of a look at him the other night to be able to figure him out. He is their top pitcher and has great stuff. They seemed to start making contact on him in the later innings but figure he will go all 85. Hopefully that homer will get Askeson going. He jacked 3 homers, a bounce over the fence double, and an inside the parker on my sons heights team this year. Big time pull hitter.

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jimmy V

Just my opinion-- Byron Stulc

bpcats
Member # Retired

Post by bpcats » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:34 am

It is going to be a tough match to try to beat Cali again. Their team seems to have a lot of great pitchers. The kid they threw out there vs. Pennsylvania was just a dominant as what we saw when we played them the first time. Hopefully we will have someone that can match Cole McKenzie's effort today.

Whether they win or lose they will get to play an international team tomorrow. If they lose it will be 11 am EST (ESPN)or if the they win 12 pm EST on ABC.

Montana has a decent shot, they play great defense and get timely hits.

That team from Japan looked tough.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:32 am

espn just reported that kid isn't eligible to pitch. not that it makes a ton of difference....cali pitchers look pretty deep. best of luck to the montana boys.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:04 pm

bpcats wrote:It is going to be a tough match to try to beat Cali again. Their team seems to have a lot of great pitchers. The kid they threw out there vs. Pennsylvania was just a dominant as what we saw when we played them the first time. Hopefully we will have someone that can match Cole McKenzie's effort today.

Whether they win or lose they will get to play an international team tomorrow. If they lose it will be 11 am EST (ESPN)or if the they win 12 pm EST on ABC.

Montana has a decent shot, they play great defense and get timely hits.

That team from Japan looked tough.
The consolation game has been cancelled due to the hurricane, so if they lose they're all done. So Cal can't throw either of their last two starting pitchers?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

bpcats
Member # Retired

Post by bpcats » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:32 pm

Cal can throw Prado out there for like 20 pitches. I think the other kid may be able to go the same (Danner) amount. I don't think he went past 85 pitches vs Pennsylvania.

Favorite quote from Kickenbush: Mom, Its hard to hit a ball that is faster than I weigh.

gocats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by gocats » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:15 pm

I didn't realize that kieckbusch kid has family from Manhattan. His grandpa or uncle not sure which was MT high school superintendent.

Alcohol doesn't make you fat, it makes you lean.... on chairs, tables and random ugly people....

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:53 pm

Those boys had a hell of a run and have a lot to be proud of.
I heard the announcer say that most the Cali kids are already solely focused on baseball, and play year around and dont play other sports much. I know the Billings kids play baseball as a seasonal sport and do other sports too.

They kept fighting till the end and didn't quit.

I agree with whoever said that we need to get them to a Cat game and recognize their outstanding accomplishment.

I hope Cali has enough pitchers left to beat the Japs :thumbup:

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

bpcats
Member # Retired

Post by bpcats » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:36 pm

There was an article in the Billings newspaper, that said the Pratu (their star pitcher /first basemen) will be flying to N.Y to player for a travel team then to North Carolina to try out of the national team. The California team plays year round and has hired position coaches and personal trainers.

I loved the fact that Cole hit a home run off of their star pitcher. In fact the whole Montana team did a really good job hitting the ball against their pitchers today. Too bad that the hurricane caused the game for 3rd place to be cancelled against Mexico. That would have been a good game.

Out of all the players that played this weekend, I thought that Cole was one of the top athletes there. Entering todays game Montana pitchers had an ERA of 2.0 which is really good. The other top teams had an ERA starting from .55 (California team) on up.

The Montana kids fought hard and were fun to watch.

I think that Japan may beat that California team tomorrow.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:15 pm

Nothing at all to feel bad about. Montana is the only to beat California and scored the only three runs by American teams against California in the whole tourney. Probably had a big percentage of the total hits against them, too. I thought Musberger did a great job of keeping Montana in the loop in terms of the dialogue during the game. Seem like a lot of times whenever someone from Montana is doing something all the talk is about the other team/player. Kind of like when announcers talk about FBS dropdowns on a team. "The transfer from (wherever) with a 12-yard run and he looked like an old (wherever) player getting it!"

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:54 pm

These kids are a special group, my son has played on teams with all of them but MacDonald, McKenzie and Leatherberry over the last 3 years. Zimmer was his coach 2 years ago and Carlson and Kieckbush were his coaches this year. I helped coached the Big Sky 10-11 Allstars this year and there is going to be some serious talent coming up the next few years in Billings.

I made this today, hope you enjoy.

[youtube][/youtube]

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com