Ken Cloud R.I.P.

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Ken Cloud R.I.P.

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:03 am

A huge chunk of Helena is pretty shook up about this. Ken was, still is, a very popular person around Helena. As the article notes he was very involved in wrestling, but was much more than that. When I covered Bengal' games of any kind he was almost always there supporting those teams and took an interest in almost every sport locally, statewide and nationally. A big fan of the Montana Grizzlies and Baltimore Orioles.

The best way I can think of right now to describe Ken is to say that I ran into Ken and his cousin at the ski hill just a couple weeks ago and that was the highlight of the day. It truly was. He's just one of those people that when you run into him somewhere it energizes your day and you go home and tell your wife about it and your friends when you see them. "Hey! Guess who I saw at the ski hill?..." I must've told at least 20 people that story.

A great guy. Rest in peace Kenny.

http://helenair.com/news/article_05914d ... 002e0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A physical education teacher at Helena Middle School died Wednesday afternoon after a school field trip skiing at Great Divide.

Kenneth Cloud, 50, was on one of the school district’s student ski trips for the day, and he collapsed shortly after he made the final pass to ensure all the students were off the hill.

Cloud was transported by ambulance and died from a heart attack about 30 minutes after arriving at St. Peter’s Hospital, said Lewis and Clark County Coroner Mickey Nelson.

For the most part, students didn’t see what was happening because they were loaded on the bus and heading back to town, Superintendent Bruce Messinger said.

The district will respond this morning by informing students in their classes what has happened and provide counseling support for students and staff. A letter will also be sent home to inform parents.

“We know children grieve, as all of us do, in different ways,” Messinger said. “Some will need more support than others.”

Cloud has a long history in Helena as a state champion wrestler for Helena High and later a coach. He has been the physical education and health teacher at Helena Middle School for the past 21 years.

“This is a tragic loss,” Messinger said. “He is a member of our school district family and we are sincerely concerned for his family, our staff and students that he’s been involved with.”

Marty Kloker was Cloud’s assistant coach at Helena High, and replaced him as head coach when he resigned in 2002.

“Kenny is one of those guys who stuck with the same program most of his life,” Kloker said. “He was a wrestler at Helena High, he came back to coach at the school, and then afterwards he worked the scorer’s table at Bengal matches, and coached the younger kids at the middle school. He just loved Helena High wrestling.”

Jim Opitz, Helena School District activities director, said Cloud was “tremendously important” to school children.

“This is pretty shocking. Ken was one of the most important people to the wrestling community, especially Helena High wrestling,” Opitz said. “He was one of those guys that was good with kids. He was tremendously important to the Helena Middle School kids.”

Anderson Stevenson Wilke Funeral Home and Crematory is handling the arrangements.

Look for more information in Friday’s Independent Record.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Re: Ken Cloud R.I.P.

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:16 am

TomCat,
I agree 100% with you. Thanks for posting.
My wife knows his family well, and she was pretty shook up about it last night - both my daughters had him for PE (one of them does right now). They're doing ok, but we'll see after school today.

What a loss for the Helena community.

RIP Kenny - you will be missed.

cat-o-nine
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by cat-o-nine » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:17 pm

His brother Lumpy (Mark) is a good friend of mine. What a sad thing. My condolences to the entire Cloud family.

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:10 pm

cat-o-nine wrote:His brother Lumpy (Mark) is a good friend of mine. What a sad thing. My condolences to the entire Cloud family.
Lumpy from Laurel? (I'm guessing there's not many "Lumpys" around)

Damn, sorry to hear. Didn't know Ken but Lumpy is a very personal man--funny as hell, too!

cat-o-nine
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by cat-o-nine » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:02 am

Yep, that's our Lumpy. Hope he is around for several more years to keep us entertained. Sure seems like a lot of guys in their late 40's, early 50's having heart attacks. Too dang young.

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:57 pm

I also knew many of the Clouds, including Ken and Mark. Thanks for sharing, Tom. It truly is a sad day.

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:06 pm

Wow, how sad! That is a shocker, condolences to the Cloud Family there are a bunch of them. Dave Cloud was a coach of mine for a short time in HS, I think they were cousins.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:13 am

http://helenair.com/news/article_df183c ... 002e0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a more personal article. This ran on the front page of the IR on Friday.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:47 pm

Here's the obit:

http://helenair.com/news/local/obituari ... 002e0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;