Bozeman Girls BB

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bozeman Girls BB

Post by Billings_Griz » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:19 pm

catamaran wrote: don't forget about proximity to the home site either
Funny you say that...I know a guy from Plentywood who worked this years State C girls in...HAMILTON! 635 miles!!

State B boys had a guy from Broadus this year, 410 miles from his place to GF.

I don't think proximity to home is a big deal as far as STATE tourney's go.

catamaran
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by catamaran » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:41 pm

Billings_Griz wrote:
Funny you say that...I know a guy from Plentywood who worked this years State C girls in...HAMILTON! 635 miles!!

i don't know anything about how the b-ball pools do it but it is a big consideration for other sports. Maybe there aren't enough high rated officials to go by that rule

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

MSUalum
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MSUalum » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:21 pm

Rob Tesch worked the state AA tourny in Butte. Looked like he did a pretty good job overall. I didn't even know that he ref'd. =D^

Air Force Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Air Force Cat » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:12 pm

MSUalum wrote:Rob Tesch worked the state AA tourny in Butte. Looked like he did a pretty good job overall. I didn't even know that he ref'd. =D^
Pretty sure he got a full Big Sky schedule this year as well

Billings Cat

Post by Billings Cat » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:35 am

catamaran wrote:
Billings_Griz wrote:

i don't know anything about how the b-ball pools do it but it is a big consideration for other sports. Maybe there aren't enough high rated officials to go by that rule
Proximity is NOT an issue in the selection of who works state tournaments for volleyball, soccer, basketball, and wrestling, but is a consideration for the silly AA playoff games which I think sends the wrong message. Football is done on a rotating basis amongst the pools. Softball is the only sport I've seen that there seems to be a predominance of umpires from the local area working the tournament. What "other sports" are you talking about?

catamaran

Post by catamaran » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:36 am

Football is not on a rotating basis nor is softball

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:34 am

catamaran wrote:Football is not on a rotating basis nor is softball
I believe this is true. FB is different...in that doesn't the nearest pool W/O a participating team work the game? I know the Billings pool worked the Butte @ Bozeman semi-final FB game this year.

:-k Maybe it is on some kind of rotation since Helena would be closer?

I don't know...lol.

There is something, though, w/ FB and proximity...maybe there is a rotation deal too.

^worthless post--just got back from 4 days in vegas, not thinking clear yet^

catamaran

Post by catamaran » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:16 am

yes, the "home pool" works all games. the regional director assigns games to all eligible masters and then they're sent to helena for the ok. You can't work the "home team's games" in AA nor can you be on a crew if you live in the host town.

Billings Cat

Post by Billings Cat » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:42 am

catamaran wrote:Football is not on a rotating basis nor is softball
Who said softball is done on a rotating basis?

catamaran

Post by catamaran » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:59 am

Billings Cat wrote:Proximity is NOT an issue in the selection of who works state tournaments for volleyball, soccer, basketball, and wrestling, but is a consideration for the silly AA playoff games which I think sends the wrong message. Football is done on a rotating basis amongst the pools. Softball is the only sport I've seen that there seems to be a predominance of umpires from the local area working the tournament. What "other sports" are you talking about?
Having a hard time believing this moot point is back after a three month hiatus. There is a group of softball officials that work all the state tournaments regardless of where it is. The MOA believes that this group consists of "the best of the best"