Harrison's McCarty put up 63 in OT win.

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Harrison's McCarty put up 63 in OT win.

Post by Billings_Griz » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:10 am

ENNIS -- Harrison guard Ryan McCarty, who has signed with Rocky Mountain College, scored 63 points Thursday night as the Wildcats outlasted Ennis 83-80 in overtime.

The 6-foot-2, 170-pound senior guard fell two points shy of the state record. According to the Montana High School Association web site, both Shane Lorash of Reed Point and Wally Doney of Pine Hills scored 65 points in separate games in 1988.

McCarty connected on eight 3-pointers and 23 of 26 free throws. He scored 45 points in the second half and overtime.

The last time a boy scored 60-plus points in a game was in 2003 when Brockton's Tyson Bauer tallied 61.

catamaran
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Harrison's McCarty put up 63 in OT win.

Post by catamaran » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:12 am

I feel old when kids I coached as 5th graders are lighting up the scoreboards =D^

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:14 am

so YOU'RE the one who taught him to be a ball-hog.

:wink:

catamaran
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by catamaran » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:35 am

Can't take the blame on that one........Everyone knows I'm a FB guy

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:02 pm

Well, you must have taught him well on shooting FT's. =D^

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:23 pm

It's one thing when some freakishly tall girl scores tons of points in a game, but this kid sounds like a roughly average size person. And I would think that Ennis was throwing some junk defenses at him at some point. That's an incredibly impressive performance.

crzy-cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by crzy-cat » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:13 pm

That must of been some kinda night in Ennis.

McCarty and "his" team were in Lima night-before-last and I had high hopes that this kid had finally grown up. 3.9GPA, verbal commit to Rocky, and even cut his punk hair-do. During warm-ups it was very obvious, once again (I've watched this kid since Jr High), what a fantastic talent this kid has. I really wanted to see how good he was.

Then the game started and it was quickly obvious that nothing had changed. He was pulling all of his little drama stunts, playing to the Harrison crowd everytime he did or didn't get a call. Whining and belly-aching over every little possible foul, and then he got a Technical for running his mouth and cussing at the ref when he was called for a travel. They were ahead by 4 at the half, and came out in a press after half-time. Lima's freshman point guard was having a hard time breaking the press and they widened the lead to 15 pretty quickly. McCarty is a heck of a defensive weapon when he wants to be, but then he got run into a clean pick that layed him out on the floor. After he flopped down with a big yelp,he laid there for a second,and waited for the ref to call a foul. No Foul. So he finally gets up, looks at the Harrison crowd again with a big shrug like "what do I gotta do to get a call". Turns and proceeds to yell (loud enough the whole gym can hear him) at his team mate for not warning him about the pick. It was one of those priceless moments that the MasterCard commercials talk about. The press was pretty much broken at that point cause McCarty was so busy watching his blind side that the double teams weren't quick enough to cut off the ball, anymore.

Harrison went on to win the game by 20 and McCarty got something like 36 of Harrison's 50pts. So McCarty was every bit as good as advertised, but all you got to do to beat this team is put him under a little stress....and he goes to pieces and can take the whole team down with him.

Big Time 6-man fan. Pulling hard for all the 6-man players at MSU (the Young boys). Of course dUMb has a total of "0" 6-man players.

whatever
New Recruit

Post by whatever » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:20 pm

Wow, that sounds almost as immature as a supposed grown man talking smack on a HS player anonymously...good point, especially the hair comment.

crzy-cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by crzy-cat » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:17 pm

whatever wrote:Wow, that sounds almost as immature as a supposed grown man talking smack on a HS player anonymously...good point, especially the hair comment
TOUCHE'

The name is Jason Sutton

I had the priviledge of playing round ball with Rob Baker, Lustre Christian High School, who was tied for the single game record at 60pts for about 3 weeks in 1988 before those other two fellows went off for 65 in the same week. He was a real stud, played defense the whole game, could/would score on you inside or outside, foul him at your peril 'cause he played better a little mad, and he was a team mate that could be counted on to put up the maximum effort every game.

So I have seen some really good players up close. This fat old has-been was hoping to see a real effort out of a VERY tallented basketball player, McCarty. My previuos post describes pretty well what I saw from my seat in the stands. I hope that McCarty is able to learn how to be coachable, accept the refs calls with grace, and learn how to lead his team mates on to greatness. There are some pretty good players on that Harrison team, and a truely great player will be able to bring out the greatness in them as well.

Big Time 6-man fan. Pulling hard for all the 6-man players at MSU (the Young boys). Of course dUMb has a total of "0" 6-man players.