playoff scores

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

playoff scores

Post by wbtfg » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:39 pm

Thanks for the updates!

Platinumcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: playoff scores

Post by Platinumcat » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:19 pm

Kudos to Helena Capital! What a team! They are the best tackling squad I have seen all year. I'm sure they have their what-ifs on the game. I can only hope that Bozeman finds a way to shore up the penalties. Hawks had somewhere around a million false starts tonight, multiple holding calls that resulted in 4-5 touchdowns being called back, the return of high snaps the likes I hadn't seen since the first game of the year, and more-then-normal numbers of dropped passes.

Yet through all the adversity, these Hawks found a way to win. Next Friday night they make history in hosting the first ever high school football championship in Bozeman. Great job fellas! One more game.....go get some!!!!

Oh, and I'm Jason Wiers, Platinum Property Management

rtb

Post by rtb » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:24 am

TomCat88 wrote:Thanks rtb. You're my only connection to the game.
As a warning to you all I won't be providing updates next weekend during the championship game. I will be in Missoula getting ready for Cat/Griz so we'll need to find someone that is staying in town to volunteer for BobcatNation play-by-play typer.

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:35 am

I haven't seen them play, but the Hawks sound like MSU. Good QB, good offense, defense sketchy at times, overcome miscues, good kicker.

This is only the second time since 1995 that the title game didn't have either Capital, CMR or West involved. Seven of those had two of those teams. Refreshing, I guess, is what I'm trying to say. Bozeman lost to Skyview in '95. Helena lost to CMR in '01 and West in '98.

Barechest: Wasn't the '76 championship (CMR vs. Bozeman) game played in Bozeman? I think local legends Ty Simpson and Brett Chapman were on that team. Who were some others?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Platinumcat

Post by Platinumcat » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:11 am

TomCat88 wrote:I haven't seen them play, but the Hawks sound like MSU. Good QB, good offense, defense sketchy at times, overcome miscues, good kicker.

This is only the second time since 1995 that the title game didn't have either Capital, CMR or West involved. Seven of those had two of those teams. Refreshing, I guess, is what I'm trying to say. Bozeman lost to Skyview in '95. Helena lost to CMR in '01 and West in '98.

Barechest: Wasn't the '76 championship (CMR vs. Bozeman) game played in Bozeman? I think local legends Ty Simpson and Brett Chapman were on that team. Who were some others?

you might be right Tom. I was using second hand information and am not certain

Gus
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Gus » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:24 am

It was 1977 and the Hawks lost to CMR 49 -14. I was one of the legends... :oops: Ok, maybe not a legend I was a junior and got in on the last two series at the end of the game. The game was played at Reno H. Sales Stadium. CMR had three guys go to Division 1 schools from that team. Tony Caldwell, a reciever named Barnett? and the quarterback. They were good... I think Bret Chapman was the only player off of the Hawks to go an and play.

whizonthegriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by whizonthegriz » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:46 pm

Miles City is up on Dillon, 7-0 in the 4th. Dillon has the ball. 14-14 Billings Central/Butte Central.

"Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious," Charles Shackleford.

whizonthegriz

Post by whizonthegriz » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:06 pm

Miles City beats Dillon 13-8. Billings Central is leading Butte Central 21-14 in the 4th.

"Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious," Charles Shackleford.

maroon
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by maroon » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:34 pm

Billings Central won 28-14

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:41 pm

Gus wrote:It was 1977 and the Hawks lost to CMR 49 -14. I was one of the legends... :oops: Ok, maybe not a legend I was a junior and got in on the last two series at the end of the game. The game was played at Reno H. Sales Stadium. CMR had three guys go to Division 1 schools from that team. Tony Caldwell, a reciever named Barnett? and the quarterback. They were good... I think Bret Chapman was the only player off of the Hawks to go an and play.
I am probably way out of line to question you on this, if you actually played in that game. But I thought Butte won the state title in 1977....over Missoula Hellgate I believe. Was the CMR quarterback Art West? CMR won state in 1975 over Butte, and I thought it was 1976 when they beat Bozeman (school year of 1976-1977). TomCat....can you confirm or deny??

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:44 pm

I just checked the GF Tribune 2010 Football Season Primer, which shows CMR winning in 1975 and 1976, and Butte in 1977.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:50 pm

According to that same publication, Helena High hasn't won a title since 1932, and Bozeman hasn't won one since 1912. I think it's kind of cool that either way, whichever team wins will be one that hasn't won a title for many, many years.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:46 pm

Class B championship will be Fairfield at Bigfork. Fairfield in the championship for the 4th straight year and 5 out of last 6. Have not won since 1982. Bigfork much improved from last year where they broke a 30 some game losing streak after dropping from class A to Class B.

Sports is not bigger than life

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:53 pm

tetoncat wrote:Class B championship will be Fairfield at Bigfork. Fairfield in the championship for the 4th straight year and 5 out of last 6. Have not won since 1982. Bigfork much improved from last year where they broke a 30 some game losing streak after dropping from class A to Class B.
I continue to be amazed by Fairfield's success in athletics, considering that they're one of the smallest Class B schools in the state. And they have always been good, for as long as I can remember. They were in our conference when I was in high school, and they were good back then, and have been good pretty much ever since then.

Gus
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Gus » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:29 pm

I guess it would be the 1976 game, but the class of 1977. I did not take alot of math classes.... :oops:

ChiOCat

Post by ChiOCat » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:40 am

tetoncat wrote:Class B championship will be Fairfield at Bigfork. Fairfield in the championship for the 4th straight year and 5 out of last 6. Have not won since 1982. Bigfork much improved from last year where they broke a 30 some game losing streak after dropping from class A to Class B.
I guess I'm a Fairfield fan then!! :D

"We are all vulnerable, and all fallible, with mortality our only certainty..." - Dr Kenneth Bock

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:04 pm

John K wrote:
Gus wrote:It was 1977 and the Hawks lost to CMR 49 -14. I was one of the legends... :oops: Ok, maybe not a legend I was a junior and got in on the last two series at the end of the game. The game was played at Reno H. Sales Stadium. CMR had three guys go to Division 1 schools from that team. Tony Caldwell, a reciever named Barnett? and the quarterback. They were good... I think Bret Chapman was the only player off of the Hawks to go an and play.
I am probably way out of line to question you on this, if you actually played in that game. But I thought Butte won the state title in 1977....over Missoula Hellgate I believe. Was the CMR quarterback Art West? CMR won state in 1975 over Butte, and I thought it was 1976 when they beat Bozeman (school year of 1976-1977). TomCat....can you confirm or deny??
Sorry, I forgot to check back into this thread. Yes it was 1976, but a lot of people forget that because they think of their graduation year. Thus Gus was saying 77.

Pretty sure it was Art West in 1976, but Tony Caldwell and Reggie Barnett were both incredible players for CMR. I'm a little foggy on this ,but I think Caldwell went to Wyoming and Barnett to Nebraska, but I believe Barnett played basketball there. West ended up at Montana Tech. Caldwell's dad was a basketball ref for years. Chapman played for MSU and I think he's asst. coach at Bozeman now.

GFH won it in 73 and 74, the CMR got it in 75 and 76. Butte won it in 77. Capital won its first in 1978.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Platinumcat

Post by Platinumcat » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:12 am

TomCat88 wrote:
John K wrote:
Sorry, I forgot to check back into this thread. Yes it was 1976, but a lot of people forget that because they think of their graduation year. Thus Gus was saying 77.

Pretty sure it was Art West in 1976, but Tony Caldwell and Reggie Barnett were both incredible players for CMR. I'm a little foggy on this ,but I think Caldwell went to Wyoming and Barnett to Nebraska, but I believe Barnett played basketball there. West ended up at Montana Tech. Caldwell's dad was a basketball ref for years. Chapman played for MSU and I think he's asst. coach at Bozeman now. GFH won it in 73 and 74, the CMR got it in 75 and 76. Butte won it in 77. Capital won its first in 1978.
Bret was a 7th grade middle school coach this year. He has a son that is a standout athlete in the making. In addition to Bret, Bozeman has many guys in the area that are former Bobcat/college/nfl players who are stepping up with the goal of turning Bozeman in to a powerhouse year in and year out starting all the way down at the elementary grade flag football level. I have seen the efforts all of these people have put in the last three years really starting to pay dividents (and not only at the varsity level). The culture is changing in Bozeman.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:51 am

barechestcat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
John K wrote:

Pretty sure it was Art West in 1976, but Tony Caldwell and Reggie Barnett were both incredible players for CMR. I'm a little foggy on this ,but I think Caldwell went to Wyoming and Barnett to Nebraska, but I believe Barnett played basketball there. West ended up at Montana Tech. Caldwell's dad was a basketball ref for years. Chapman played for MSU and I think he's asst. coach at Bozeman now. GFH won it in 73 and 74, the CMR got it in 75 and 76. Butte won it in 77. Capital won its first in 1978.
Bret was a 7th grade middle school coach this year. He has a son that is a standout athlete in the making. In addition to Bret, Bozeman has many guys in the area that are former Bobcat/college/nfl players who are stepping up with the goal of turning Bozeman in to a powerhouse year in and year out starting all the way down at the elementary grade flag football level. I have seen the efforts all of these people have put in the last three years really starting to pay dividents (and not only at the varsity level). The culture is changing in Bozeman.
That might just pay dividends for the Bobcats as well.

BgCATfan

Post by BgCATfan » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:27 pm

Chinook 30 Wibaux 6 early in the second qtr.