high school playoffs

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSUalum
BobcatNation Redshirt

high school playoffs

Post by MSUalum » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:36 pm

Lots of good local games going on this weekend. Belgrade plays Laurel at 1:00, and Manhattan plays Baker at 12:00. The "B" bracket is kind of goofy this year. 4/5 of the top rated teams play each other in the first round. Baker at Manhattan, and Fairfield at Malta. Should be good games. Cutbank and Townsend should be favored in the other bracket. AA might be somewhat boring this year as Bozeman and Helena should cruise thru the playoffs. That would make for a good rematch for the chipper tho.

catamaran
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: high school playoffs

Post by catamaran » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:08 pm

at this time, MHS and Baker is still at 1

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

catamaran

Post by catamaran » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:51 am

Now its officially 12pm :D

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

Billings Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Billings Cat » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:40 am

MSUalum wrote:Lots of good local games going on this weekend. Belgrade plays Laurel at 1:00, and Manhattan plays Baker at 12:00. The "B" bracket is kind of goofy this year. 4/5 of the top rated teams play each other in the first round. Baker at Manhattan, and Fairfield at Malta. Should be good games. Cutbank and Townsend should be favored in the other bracket. AA might be somewhat boring this year as Bozeman and Helena should cruise thru the playoffs. That would make for a good rematch for the chipper tho.
Bozeman looks to be the class of the AA, but beyond their opening round game against the #8 seed (CMR, Butte, or Sentinel) I think anything's possible in the first round. Helena High certainly seems to keep other teams in games with them and the rest (Helena Capital, Billings West, Billings Skyview, Billings Senior, and Kalispell Glacier) all seem to be capable of beating or losing to each other from week to week. Doesn't sound boring to me. :D

All that being said, however, if Bozeman doesn't win the State Championship, it's going to be a major disappointment for them and their long suffering football fans which squarely puts the pressure on them.

gocats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by gocats » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:45 am

I don't know what to do. Do I go to Manhattan and watch my old high schools first home playoff game ever and miss part of the Cat game. Or do I stay home and watch the Cat game and miss the playoff game. I could always run over to my parents house at halftime and check the Cat game and then go back. Help me out here. :shock:

Alcohol doesn't make you fat, it makes you lean.... on chairs, tables and random ugly people....

catamaran

Post by catamaran » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:54 am

take a radio to the playoff game............oasis or folks house at half

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:11 am

gocats wrote:I don't know what to do. Do I go to Manhattan and watch my old high schools first home playoff game ever and miss part of the Cat game. Or do I stay home and watch the Cat game and miss the playoff game. I could always run over to my parents house at halftime and check the Cat game and then go back. Help me out here. :shock:
DVR the Cats--go to Manhattan. That's my high school too. I'm thinking about going.

rtb

Post by rtb » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:16 am

gocats wrote:I don't know what to do. Do I go to Manhattan and watch my old high schools first home playoff game ever and miss part of the Cat game. Or do I stay home and watch the Cat game and miss the playoff game. I could always run over to my parents house at halftime and check the Cat game and then go back. Help me out here. :shock:
What you need to do is get a Slingbox and a smart phone. With those two electronic devices you can attend the high school game and watch the Cat game on your phone.

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

MSUalum
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MSUalum » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:28 am

Im in the same boat, I dont want to miss the MHS game tho, but would like to catch the rest of the Cat game. Is there any sports bars in Manhattan? Should be a great game, even tho Manhattan drew a tough team for the first round.

gocats

Post by gocats » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:45 am

The Oasis would definately have the Cat game going.

Alcohol doesn't make you fat, it makes you lean.... on chairs, tables and random ugly people....

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:49 am

NORTHERN C GUYS, How is Chinook? Scobey have a chance?

WetWaderMT

Post by WetWaderMT » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:15 am

I know how the brackets work, but I was just reviewing the A playoff schedule and this thing is ridiculous!

Miles City (8-1) hosts Havre (5-3) today and the winner of that game gets to travel to COLUMBIA FALLS who is (4-4) next week...seriously, does that make ANY sense what-so-ever?!?!

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:57 am

I'm sure there's a method to the MHSA's madness but, no, it doesn't make sense.

c.falls cat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by c.falls cat » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:36 pm

WetWaderMT wrote:I know how the brackets work, but I was just reviewing the A playoff schedule and this thing is ridiculous!

Miles City (8-1) hosts Havre (5-3) today and the winner of that game gets to travel to COLUMBIA FALLS who is (4-4) next week...seriously, does that make ANY sense what-so-ever?!?!
it makes sense in that you want to reward the conference champs, just unfortunate that the NW is horrible and the East is really good. sort of thing happens all the time in all sports. last year in boys basketball, laurel and c. falls played in the first round at state. clearly the two best teams with the two best records in the state, but laurel lost at divisionals so that skewed the braket. it happens, miles city is just getting the short end of the stick this time.

WetWaderMT

Post by WetWaderMT » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:04 pm

Which is ridiculous! When the conference champ is 4-4 there's NO WAY they should get a bye, let alone a home playoff game!

gocats

Post by gocats » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:19 pm

Manhattan won 20 to 7.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:55 pm

I don't know, from some of the conferences you could have an undefeated team or 1 loss team that really is not that good. How do you decide which team is better just based on a record when they haven't played the same teams. They have to have some way to predetermine and this is the best way so far. Look at Class B, they move the district that gets 3 in around the state and some years it is from a 5 team conference. They get in with losing records.

Fairfield 20 Malta 0
Cut Bank 41 Plentywood 7

Sports is not bigger than life

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:58 pm

gocats wrote:Manhattan won 20 to 7.
That is awesome! Way to go Tigers.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:47 pm

Belgrade beat Laurel.

It's been a really good year for most of the Gallatin Valley football teams this year.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:33 am

AA sked:
Butte at Bozeman
Senior at Capital

Skyview at West
Glacier at HHS

The semis would be interesting if Capital plays Bozeman and West plays HHS since they didn't play each other during the season. I agree though that Bozeman and HHS are heavy favorites. Gotta watch out for Butte, they might be recapturing their magic from years past.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber