Bands at games

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catamaran
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Bands at games

Post by catamaran » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:25 am

I know this came up in a thread earlier but couldn't find it.
Here's the official word from Helena since someone sent the question in

Question ‐ can bands play during a football game when the play is "live"?
Answer ‐ Yes – Bands cannot play when the ball is live at indoor events, but the MHSA does not have
these same restrictions at outdoor contests. Here is the language in regard to bands playing at MHSA
events. This is taken from the 2010‐11 MHSA Handbook, page 53, letter J:
Section (34) – J. The use of bells, air horns, whistles, wooden blocks and other noise
makers during indoor Association contests is prohibited. At indoor contests bands may
only play before the start of a contest, during intermissions between periods (quarters)
and during a time out. They may not play during “live ball.” At outdoor contests band
directors should use discretion when determining the appropriate times to play.
For instance, if a band only plays when the visitor is on offense, we expect local administration to get
involved and ensure that their school is exhibiting good sporting behavior and respecting the opponent.
In most of the cases I have seen with this issue, the band director is not aware of the problem, and once
is he/she is notified, will take care of the issue.

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

TboneCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Bands at games

Post by TboneCat » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:55 am

I've heard that this is changing soon though. Next year (assuming the MHSA board approves it) bands will not be allowed to play during a live ball indoors or outdoors.

Billings Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Billings Cat » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:25 am

What a shocker...the MHSA and school administrators went to jump in again and "fix" something that wasn't broken. I swear the MHSA and administrators would be happy if there wasn't a single student or fan in the crowd at games. Makes their jobs easier. I really feel bad for the kids who are continually told stopped from doing things that were apparently okay 5 to 10 years ago, but are no longer considered PC.

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:18 am

catamaran wrote:I know this came up in a thread earlier but couldn't find it.
T'was me. Thanks.

Was charting penalties for the zebra crew and the band was annoying as hell. (during play)
What a shocker...the MHSA and school administrators went to jump in again and "fix" something that wasn't broken. I swear the MHSA and administrators would be happy if there wasn't a single student or fan in the crowd at games. Makes their jobs easier. I really feel bad for the kids who are continually told stopped from doing things that were apparently okay 5 to 10 years ago, but are no longer considered PC
I'm off a little here (to what you're talking about) but I say the administrators should do something about the kids who wear hats and f*ck around during our National Anthem.

Maybe it should start w/ the parents...I don't have to tell my 14/12/7 year olds to remove their hats and put their hand on their hearts during our Anthem.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:33 am

Billings_Griz wrote:
T'was me. Thanks.

Was charting penalties for the zebra crew and the band was annoying as hell. (during play)
What a shocker...the MHSA and school administrators went to jump in again and "fix" something that wasn't broken. I swear the MHSA and administrators would be happy if there wasn't a single student or fan in the crowd at games. Makes their jobs easier. I really feel bad for the kids who are continually told stopped from doing things that were apparently okay 5 to 10 years ago, but are no longer considered PC
I'm off a little here (to what you're talking about) but I say the administrators should do something about the kids who wear hats and f*ck around during our National Anthem.

Maybe it should start w/ the parents...I don't have to tell my 14/12/7 year olds to remove their hats and put their hand on their hearts during our Anthem.
No doubt that starts with parents, but I agree--administration could do more to support it!

Billings Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Billings Cat » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:42 am

Billings_Griz wrote:
T'was me. Thanks.

I've never heard of a player or official being soooo distracted by a band during an outdoor football game before that it actually affected play. Sounds like much ado about nothing. The other thing that comes to mind is this, if the music (or band) is too loud, then you're too old! :D

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:30 am

Well, I am getting up there... :(