Class A scores 8/27

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Platinumcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Class A scores 8/27

Post by Platinumcat » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:47 am

Belgrade 56, Hardin 6 I heard the mercy rule was employed
Butte Central 42, Anaconda 0
Dickinson ND 27, Glendive 6 (I remember the Glendive teams of the late 80's...)
Polson 21, Frenchtown 16 no repeat this year?
Stevensville 41, Columbia Falls 20

Oh, and I'm Jason Wiers, Platinum Property Management

D-Wreck
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Class A scores 8/27

Post by D-Wreck » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:42 am

barechestcat wrote:Belgrade 56, Hardin 6 I heard the mercy rule was employed
Butte Central 42, Anaconda 0
Dickinson ND 27, Glendive 6 (I remember the Glendive teams of the late 80's...)
Polson 21, Frenchtown 16 no repeat this year?
Stevensville 41, Columbia Falls 20
By mercy rule do you mean they quit stopping the clock after Belgrade was up 35? I think MHSA was looking into adopting a mercy rule where the game would end at a certain point if a team were up by enough, but I don't know if that was this year.

hokeyfine
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by hokeyfine » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:17 am

i think the clock continuously runs when a teams gets ahead by 35.

D-Wreck
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by D-Wreck » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:20 am

hokeyfine wrote:i think the clock continuously runs when a teams gets ahead by 35.
I know that's how it was a few years ago when I played, except for injuries I think. But I know at one point MHSA either approved the rule change or was considering a mercy rule where if a team were up by x amount of points at a certain point of a game, it was just over. Kind of like little league baseball.

CATCO
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by CATCO » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:53 pm

Come on now...gledive 95-97 was pretty damn good too!!! I wish they could figure things out again.

DCC2MSU
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by DCC2MSU » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:05 am

CATCO wrote:Come on now...gledive 95-97 was pretty damn good too!!! I wish they could figure things out again.
Other than a middle linebacker who apparently can't spell his home town. Was wondering how long it would take you to catch this one.

As a side note, Glendive's QB from that era coaches in Livingston. Before he got to Livingston I think they had won 1 game in 8 years. Last year they got 2 wins in his first season as coach and they are undefeated so far this year - beat Corvalis last night! Must be due to him turning into a Cat fan from the dark side. Went from 42 kids out last year to 53 this year. Since he is pass happy, maybe you should go work with his kids on running the option.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:46 pm

Does anyone know anything about Havre? I'm sorry to say, I don't follow HS football really closely, but being a Havre boy, I couldn't help but notice they hung 66 points on Whitefish last night. Is the offense that good, or is Whitefish that bad (66-21)?

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

catamaran

Post by catamaran » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:14 pm

D-Wreck wrote:
hokeyfine wrote:i think the clock continuously runs when a teams gets ahead by 35.
I know that's how it was a few years ago when I played, except for injuries I think. But I know at one point MHSA either approved the rule change or was considering a mercy rule where if a team were up by x amount of points at a certain point of a game, it was just over. Kind of like little league baseball.
the rule about 15 years ago was a drop dead...........now any level under AA, the clock runs continuously after 35 unless it dips below again. The previous rule only had a running clock in the 2nd half

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:51 pm

I listened to a bit of the Capital v GFH game on the radio, and Jay Scott was criticising a illegal substitution call. It sounds like you can break a huddle now with 12 if it is not on purpose, and not meant to deceive the defense. I was unclear how that works...any insights?

catamaran

Post by catamaran » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:18 pm

wbtfg wrote:I listened to a bit of the Capital v GFH game on the radio, and Jay Scott was criticising a illegal substitution call. It sounds like you can break a huddle now with 12 if it is not on purpose, and not meant to deceive the defense. I was unclear how that works...any insights?
a sub has 3 seconds to leave the field, that was a clarification that came out this year

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

Platinumcat

Post by Platinumcat » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:04 pm

catamaran wrote:
wbtfg wrote:I listened to a bit of the Capital v GFH game on the radio, and Jay Scott was criticising a illegal substitution call. It sounds like you can break a huddle now with 12 if it is not on purpose, and not meant to deceive the defense. I was unclear how that works...any insights?
a sub has 3 seconds to leave the field, that was a clarification that came out this year
So technically, you can break the huddle with 12 as long as the sub gets off in three seconds? I could swear there was a breaking the huddle with 12 penalty called on the Bozeman High freshman game this past Saturday.

catamaran

Post by catamaran » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:46 am

barechestcat wrote:
catamaran wrote:
So technically, you can break the huddle with 12 as long as the sub gets off in three seconds? I could swear there was a breaking the huddle with 12 penalty called on the Bozeman High freshman game this past Saturday.
I"ll have to check my rule book again under the sub section but I know they gave us a clarification of 3 seconds this year. I would imagine you could still call an illegal substitution if that 12 player headed towards the line or acted like a player. Still, as a coach you'd rather have the 5 yd substitution penalty than wait for the ball to be snapped and get 15

GRZSLAYER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by GRZSLAYER » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:37 am

KittieKop wrote:Does anyone know anything about Havre? I'm sorry to say, I don't follow HS football really closely, but being a Havre boy, I couldn't help but notice they hung 66 points on Whitefish last night. Is the offense that good, or is Whitefish that bad (66-21)?
I hate to say it, but being a proud Whitefish High Alum. We had some good teams in the mid to late 90's and since about 2000ish they have been crap. To many out of state kids have moved into Whitefish and made it a soccer and volleyball town now. It's rather embarassing. There use to be quite a few good college football players come out of Whitefish, but not anymore.

Dakota Prukop -MSU Quarterback
Dude on my plane is wearin a Montana Grizzlie shirt. I'm pretty sure he's the reason our whole plane smells like B.O.

Kurt Davis-MSU Receiver
I needed a change for one, but for two, I HAD to go to Coach Haucks rival school.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:18 pm

GRZSLAYER wrote:
KittieKop wrote:Does anyone know anything about Havre? I'm sorry to say, I don't follow HS football really closely, but being a Havre boy, I couldn't help but notice they hung 66 points on Whitefish last night. Is the offense that good, or is Whitefish that bad (66-21)?
I hate to say it, but being a proud Whitefish High Alum. We had some good teams in the mid to late 90's and since about 2000ish they have been crap. To many out of state kids have moved into Whitefish and made it a soccer and volleyball town now. It's rather embarassing. There use to be quite a few good college football players come out of Whitefish, but not anymore.
I remember you guys having some damn good teams in the late 80's when I was in HS. Scott Sword was the coach then, I believe. Couldn't stand playing or watching them, cause they were about unbeatable. I followed them after I graduated, and when Sword moved to Havre to coach, but never really had the same success as he did in Whitefish.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Platinumcat

Post by Platinumcat » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:36 am

KittieKop wrote:
GRZSLAYER wrote:
I remember you guys having some damn good teams in the late 80's when I was in HS. Scott Sword was the coach then, I believe. Couldn't stand playing or watching them, cause they were about unbeatable. I followed them after I graduated, and when Sword moved to Havre to coach, but never really had the same success as he did in Whitefish.
There was a group of very talented players from Whitefish that graduated in '89. They all started as sophomores and made it to the chipper (losing to Glasgow). I was on Glasgow's team and was the same class as them. I remember thinking that year how crazy good they must be to not only start but to get that far in the playoffs.