QuestionForMCHammer

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

HassFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

QuestionForMCHammer

Post by HassFan » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:20 pm

After checking the weekend track results, it was notable that the girls winner (Great Falls Inv.) threw the discus about 10 feet further than the boys winner (Dahlberg Meet). Is there a difference between the girls and boy's disc ?

Thanks.

Fighting Cancer With Every Breath I Take - Conner, You Are An Inspiration !

mtbobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: QuestionForMCHammer

Post by mtbobcat » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:30 pm

I am not MCHammer but I do know the boys discuss is heavier and bigger in diameter than the girls discuss. I am not sure what the specific weight or diameter differences are between them. It is the same with the javelin the boys javelin is heavier and bigger than the girls.

whitetrashgriz
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by whitetrashgriz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:37 pm

cut and copied...

The discus, the object to be thrown, is a heavy lenticular disc with a diameter of 220 mm (8.66 inches) and a weight of two kilograms (4 lb 7 oz) for the men's event, and one kg (2 lb 3 oz) for the women's, with a smaller diameter of 181 mm (7.17 inches). In U.S. high school track and field, boys typically throw a discus weighing 1.616 kg (3 lb 9 oz) and the girls throw the 1 kg (2.2 lb) women's disc.

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?

HassFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by HassFan » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:22 pm

Muchas Gracias ! Wasn't sure how much difference there was, but I really don't ever remember the girls outdistancing the guy before, even with the smaller discs (or javelins or shots).

Fighting Cancer With Every Breath I Take - Conner, You Are An Inspiration !