CMR State Boys AA Basketball Champs

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

CMR State Boys AA Basketball Champs

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:50 pm

Yawn.

Maybe the rest of the state could put together an all-star team so there would be some competition for the juggernaut that is CMR.

If not

Yawn

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Re: CMR State Boys AA Basketball Champs

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:32 pm

It would be nice to get Big Gay Alphas thoughts on this dominating performance.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:06 am

You know, I do have to hand it to CMR. They were the better team tonight. And this is no excuse at all for West, but my GOD could those refs have been any worse? Worst reffing I have ever seen in a game in my entire life. Is that what the MHSA can come up with? Calls on both sides were terrible all game. Distracting from CMR's performance. But congrats anyway.
And just to add, I hope Huestes' offense gets better. 4-foot jumper air balls, missed layups, and bricks off the side of the glass aren't going to cut it at Stanford. His defense is outstanding, however ;) Happy weekend!

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:15 pm

The officiating was bad and I will give you and West 27 points for the bad calls.

CMR still wins State.

www.maroonblood.com

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:27 am

longhorn_22 wrote:could those refs have been any worse? Worst reffing I have ever seen in a game in my entire life. Is that what the MHSA can come up with? !
Refs are VOTED in by COACHES. And whiny b!tches like Robison doesn't like any refs.

Billings Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Billings Cat » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:00 pm

longhorn_22 wrote:You know, I do have to hand it to CMR. They were the better team tonight. And this is no excuse at all for West, but my GOD could those refs have been any worse? Worst reffing I have ever seen in a game in my entire life. Is that what the MHSA can come up with? Calls on both sides were terrible all game. Distracting from CMR's performance. But congrats anyway.
And just to add, I hope Huestes' offense gets better. 4-foot jumper air balls, missed layups, and bricks off the side of the glass aren't going to cut it at Stanford. His defense is outstanding, however ;) Happy weekend!
Say what you want but it still comes off as sour grapes on both the officials and Huestis.

The officials in the championship game weren't perfect, but they were solid. Throughout the state tournament the Bears weren't going to get away with the lazy reaching defense that they do around town and in the West High "Homer" Dome, in particular. In the last several years the Bears have simply not moved their feet on defense and that was clear all season long. I also realize that all coaches are "whiners" and that's a game that they're going to play, but it was evident that Doug Robison sets the tone with this team and his players follow his example. Perhaps there's a "familial" bent to the way some of the West High players acted during all 3 of their games, but as a team they really stood apart from the rest.

As for Huestis, like nearly every high school prospect he certainly has room to grow, but his offense wasn't what you're trying to make it out to be. He knocked down some mid-range jumpers throughout the tournament and hit some nice shots on the baseline in addition to his dominating performance at the rim. What's truly amazing is that this kid is probably the most heralded boys basketball player in the state in the last 20 years, yet he remains humble and a consumate teammate.

As for changes in the AA that would affect the state tournament, I would love to see teams cross-over conferences for the playoff games (i.e. #2 East vs. #7 West, #3 East vs. #6 West, #4 East vs. #5 West, etc.) rather than the traditional 4 from the East plus 4 from the West. This would add some excitement to the playoff games which isn't always there, and most importantly, it would ensure that we'd have a much better chance at having the BEST 8 teams at the state tournament every year which should be the goal for everyone. And frankly, I'd like to see this in place in soccer, volleyball, and softball, as well. I don't see how in competitive activities that this wouldn't be the most equitable format. Granted, this season it's probably fair to say that it would have been to the advantage of the Eastern AA in basketball, but that's not to say in other years and other sports it wouldn't be to the Western AA's advantage.

MSUcantouchus
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSUcantouchus » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:30 pm

I felt Heustis played real well, he did what his coach asked him to. I would have like more creativity out of the coach to use in in many ways but the fact is he didn't need to. There was enough talent around him that they may have won it all without him. Don't even get me started on that little Muller kid. He certainly never met a shot he didn't like. Are any small schools going after him? Reffing was not terrible it was average for high school. Longhorn must be out of school too long or never played much high school ball. If you thought those refs were bad then you never played with class C refs.

I hate dark pink

whitetrashgriz
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by whitetrashgriz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:19 am

MSUcantouchus wrote:If you thought those refs were bad then you never played with class C refs.
or any officiating done AT helena high and AT billings west. :oops:

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:49 am

whitetrashgriz wrote:
MSUcantouchus wrote:If you thought those refs were bad then you never played with class C refs.
or any officiating done AT helena high and AT billings west. :oops:
Sorry no gets a better shake from the refs than does Butte. The refs are intimidate while they are dressing!

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:25 pm

Don't give me the sour grapes BS. West sucked this weekend and didn't even deserve to sniff a victory. They live and die by the three and it was obvious on Saturday. They couldn't drive, forced too many shots, and had no answer for getting by Huestis. There were just as many terrible calls on CMR as there were on West, so spare me. Just an observation, whether you want to see it or not. They were FAR from "solid."

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:26 pm

Billings_Griz wrote:
longhorn_22 wrote:could those refs have been any worse? Worst reffing I have ever seen in a game in my entire life. Is that what the MHSA can come up with? !
Refs are VOTED in by COACHES. And whiny b!tches like Robison doesn't like any refs.
Are you saying I AM Robison? ;)

rollo_tumasi
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by rollo_tumasi » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:45 am

Remember Robison is a huge Bobcat supporter who sent several BB players our way such as Sullivan & Lasozcky(sp?) and his son will be big contributor this fall on the FB field. His daughter went to UM, but that was when we were in the middle of a coaching change and not real stable. I know Doug very well and you will not find a better coach anywhere in the State of Montana. He every year has to reload his team and still is extremely successful. If you ever watched a Robison practice, it is intense. He gets the most out of all his players and his system obviously works against most Montana competition. Do they get there fair share of call at home, YES, but do they still win on the road?

I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sons-a-bitches.'

Billings Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Billings Cat » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:36 pm

rollo_tumasi wrote:Remember Robison is a huge Bobcat supporter who sent several BB players our way such as Sullivan & Lasozcky(sp?) and his son will be big contributor this fall on the FB field. His daughter went to UM, but that was when we were in the middle of a coaching change and not real stable. I know Doug very well and you will not find a better coach anywhere in the State of Montana. He every year has to reload his team and still is extremely successful. If you ever watched a Robison practice, it is intense. He gets the most out of all his players and his system obviously works against most Montana competition. Do they get there fair share of call at home, YES, but do they still win on the road?
Doug Robison is a good high school coach, there's no doubt about it. That being said, his most adept skill with the program is not coaching players because as you say, he is "reloading" every year with a good number of seniors who played primarily junior varsity the year before, it's navigating his way around players' and parents' egos and expectations. The program at West truly hasn't been in "rebuilding" mode since the end of his first go-around coaching at the school which some don't consider a coincidence. This "luxury" of never being in "rebuilding" mode (which Robison clearly plays a part in maintaining) is almost unique to them and Bozeman (on both the boys' and girls' side) in AA basketball.

I've heard a fair share of criticism in Billings about other AA coaches in regards to their sideline behavior over the years with the inference that Robison was above any of this. But if the state tournament proved one thing, it's that Robison is no different than any other of these coaches--when things weren't going his way like they did in the Glacier and CMR games, he's capable of the same type of sideline behavior that others get taken to task for regularly.

BBFAN
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BBFAN » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:07 am

As a lifelong sports junkie I enjoy keeping up with the stats of various sports. However, the stat I heard on the news last night simply amazed me - the CMR boys basketball team GPA is 3.82.

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:09 pm

Not surprising, everyone but me rolled out of there with a higher than average GPA.

My graduating GPA was 1.2 and it took 3 years of summer school to get out of there. (This was done on purpose because it drove my Dad fu*king nuts)

www.maroonblood.com