Shelby Football HC

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

seacat85
BobcatNation Letterman

Shelby Football HC

Post by seacat85 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:23 am

I must have missed it along the way but does anyone know what happened with the Shelby HS football head coach? I think I saw something from the Shelby public schools FB page advertising for the head coaching position at the high school. Also since the school population (K-12 not just 9-12) has increased will they be forced to move from 8-man to 11-man?

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Shelby Football HC

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue May 09, 2023 9:29 am

seacat85 wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:23 am
I must have missed it along the way but does anyone know what happened with the Shelby HS football head coach? I think I saw something from the Shelby public schools FB page advertising for the head coaching position at the high school. Also since the school population (K-12 not just 9-12) has increased will they be forced to move from 8-man to 11-man?
I don't know what happened with their last coach. I'd imagine if their HS enrollment is going up, and k-8 enrollment shows it should stay up, the MHSA will force them to go back to 11-man soon. When they moved to 8-man in 2018 (?), they had just played in the 11-man state championship the year before. Their numbers said they should have stayed 11-man, but they appealed the MHSA decision to make them stay and they won. I'd imagine they would try to stay 8-man as long as they can, even if the MHSA regulations say they should move up. I'd imagine it's hard to be right on that edge where you're moving up and down. You're playing a different game and that's a tough move back up to 11. Not to mention the changes that you make to the field...although there's probably a fairly easy way to do that.

seacat85
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Shelby Football HC

Post by seacat85 » Fri May 19, 2023 1:54 pm

I suspect this was a work load shedding thing. When Reynolds left the boys basketball head coaching job White took over last season. I found a May school board agenda that had White being hired as boys basketball HC, high school AD, junior high AD for the coming year. I assume that Reynolds left the boys basketball HC job to be able to watch his son play ball for the Griz.