WTF is going on in Anaconda and Boulder

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

WTF is going on in Anaconda and Boulder

Post by wbtfg » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:18 pm

I bet @TomCat88 can maybe shed some light, but what is going on?

Anaconda fires Bball coach Rochi Estes: https://buttesports.com/what-in-the-hec ... -anaconda/

Jefferson HS fires their highly successful coach Clint Layng. Layng's wife Sarah is a big time coach for JHS girls basketball and girls track.

Nothing worse than when small town politics and adult egos hurts kids.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Re: WTF is going on in Anaconda and Boulder

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:25 pm

Happens every year all over. These particular incidents finally got some press.

Anaconda sounds like a dumpster fire all around!

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue May 03, 2022 12:28 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:18 pm
I bet @TomCat88 can maybe shed some light, but what is going on?

Anaconda fires Bball coach Rochi Estes: https://buttesports.com/what-in-the-hec ... -anaconda/

Jefferson HS fires their highly successful coach Clint Layng. Layng's wife Sarah is a big time coach for JHS girls basketball and girls track.

Nothing worse than when small town politics and adult egos hurts kids.
Sarah's Dad was the Basketball coach in Boulder for years as well. That family is well tied to the community and the community showed up for them. Layng has been rehired to the chagrin of parents and board members who thoughT their kids didn't get enough playing time.

Good for Boulder for standing up to that BS.
Last edited by luckyirishguy25 on Thu May 05, 2022 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue May 03, 2022 6:44 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed May 04, 2022 9:36 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 6:44 pm
My theory is that will all the money parents are putting into camps/travel ball/private lessons, etc., they have become more entitled to their kid making and playing on a team. Regardless, the sense of entitlement seems to be incredibly high with this generation of parents...and it's not just sports.
Last edited by wbtfg on Wed May 04, 2022 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed May 04, 2022 9:55 am

wbtfg wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:36 am
Hawks86 wrote:
My theory is that will all the money parents are putting into camps/travel ball/private lessons, etc., they have become more entitled to their kid making and playing on a team. Regardless, the sense of entitlement seems to be incredibly with this generation of parents...and it's not just sports.
Parents are hands down the worst part of youth sports. As much as I enjoyed coaching my kids in their traveling sports, I was so relieved when I was done. The sports are great. The kids are even better. But the parents make it totally miserable.

What made my experience the most frustrating is we were always looking for help. Even just setting up stations, maybe being in charge of water, any little thing to help. Hell, even getting their kids to the gym/field 15 minutes early was impossible for some of them. But when the games rolled around, suddenly they were REALLY wanting to be involved. I can't recall all of the "parent meetings" I had over the years with upset parents that their kid should be playing more. Their son should be point guard. Their daughter should be pitching or playing shortstop. It never ended.

I remember about 15 years ago when Mike Cole got railroaded at Bozeman High and was forced out. The guy was one of the best coaches in the state for almost 2 decades. He's in the Hall of Fame. But all it takes is some disgruntled parents and things can change in a flash. It's actually embarrassing and I assume it will only get worse.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Wed May 04, 2022 10:07 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:55 am
wbtfg wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
My theory is that will all the money parents are putting into camps/travel ball/private lessons, etc., they have become more entitled to their kid making and playing on a team. Regardless, the sense of entitlement seems to be incredibly with this generation of parents...and it's not just sports.
Parents are hands down the worst part of youth sports. As much as I enjoyed coaching my kids in their traveling sports, I was so relieved when I was done. The sports are great. The kids are even better. But the parents make it totally miserable.

What made my experience the most frustrating is we were always looking for help. Even just setting up stations, maybe being in charge of water, any little thing to help. Hell, even getting their kids to the gym/field 15 minutes early was impossible for some of them. But when the games rolled around, suddenly they were REALLY wanting to be involved. I can't recall all of the "parent meetings" I had over the years with upset parents that their kid should be playing more. Their son should be point guard. Their daughter should be pitching or playing shortstop. It never ended.

I remember about 15 years ago when Mike Cole got railroaded at Bozeman High and was forced out. The guy was one of the best coaches in the state for almost 2 decades. He's in the Hall of Fame. But all it takes is some disgruntled parents and things can change in a flash. It's actually embarrassing and I assume it will only get worse.
The new age of bulldozer parents are also causing many very good teachers to call it quits while still (relatively) young. Some of these same themes where teachers are unable to enforce even the most basic consequences for bad/inappropriate behavior without severe blowback from the bulldozer parents. I predict a very damaging exodus of teacher talent over the next few years and beyond.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed May 04, 2022 10:37 am

CatBot wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 10:07 am
ilovethecats wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

The new age of bulldozer parents are also causing many very good teachers to call it quits while still (relatively) young. Some of these same themes where teachers are unable to enforce even the most basic consequences for bad/inappropriate behavior without severe blowback from the bulldozer parents. I predict a very damaging exodus of teacher talent over the next few years and beyond.
No doubt. I have a close friend who is a teacher and she finally called it quits last year after over 20 years. We were at her place having dinner one night and she was telling me stories about her typical day and literally everything was great for her aside from the parents. It made my experience dealing with them in sports look mild. Her daily emails alone would be enough for me to teach. We're talking 20-30+ emails every day, most of them explaining why their kid was being treated unfairly. It was wild.

Ironically I have a degree in education but between the terrible pay, long hours and basically underappreciation across the board I went another direction. Happier with that decision every day.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed May 04, 2022 12:01 pm

On that note....this is teacher appreciation week. If you get a few moments in your day, maybe send an appreciative email to one/all of your kids' current/past teacher(s)

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed May 04, 2022 12:39 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

The Anaconda situation is unbelievable. Some of the parents not happy with the coaching/playing time are on the school board! Can you imagine? A parent says play my kid or my vote will be to have you terminated. Don’t be surprised to see a spouse of the school board be named one of the new coaches.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed May 04, 2022 2:59 pm

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu May 05, 2022 8:57 am

Cataholic wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 12:39 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

The Anaconda situation is unbelievable. Some of the parents not happy with the coaching/playing time are on the school board! Can you imagine? A parent says play my kid or my vote will be to have you terminated. Don’t be surprised to see a spouse of the school board be named one of the new coaches.
That's exactly what happened in Boulder too, except they tried to pick on a family with roots in Boulder than span over half a decade. didn't go over well.