Sentinel on Probation for 2021-22 season

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Sentinel on Probation for 2021-22 season

Post by HelenaCat95 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:33 pm

Missoula Sentinel is on probation for the 2021-22 season. They are allowed to participate in the regular season and post season, but must come up with a plan to rectify what put them on probation........but this article doesn't say what that was. hmmmmmm

https://www.montanasports.com/high-scho ... -probation

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Sentinel on Probation for 2021-22 season

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:00 pm

Just saw that. Crazy. I thought they got off easy with the $100 fine a few years ago when they poached that player out of P'Burg/Drummond and it looks like this might just be another slap on the wrist. I'd hate to see these kids punished too harshly, but they did win a title last year, so maybe they should have to sit this one out.

I've heard rumblings about Missoula stacking teams at one school with the talent from all over town.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 56 individual National Champions (most recent 2021).
toM StUber

kennethnoisewater
Member # Retired

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:02 pm

It's a little bit of a joke. I don't think the MHSA can do very much when threatened legally. I wouldn't mind seeing coaches suspended for a season or something, but I like that they don't punish kids for something the adults did. In theory, there are lots of innocent students at Sentinel. There are constant accusations in Missoula of recruiting...Football at Sentinel, basketball at Hellgate. But they're all pretty much rumors. Every time a player transfers you hear chatter about somebody recruiting them, but most of the time the families are reaching out. If anybody is recruiting, it's usually another player or a parent of a player who wants to see the program get better. This track thing was pretty egregious though. They knowingly broke rules. Every track coach knows the rules, and these qualifying standards aren't new anymore.

nevadacat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by nevadacat » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:10 pm

Asking out of curiosity, does this thing happen in other large Montana cities — allegedly?

It’s an open secret it happens here in Vegas, though it was much worse in the 80s and 90s. I’m sure it’s common everywhere.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:03 am

nevadacat wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:10 pm
Asking out of curiosity, does this thing happen in other large Montana cities — allegedly?

It’s an open secret it happens here in Vegas, though it was much worse in the 80s and 90s. I’m sure it’s common everywhere.
Missoula has open enrollment which makes this all possible. As I understand it, there are no school boundary lines and all students are allowed to choose which school they go to. This is meant to allow students to pursue their area of interest for education purposes. For example, a student interested in liberal arts would select Hellgate due to their offerings in that area. A student interested in STEM would select one of the other two high schools. This has translated into kids selecting schools based on athletic pursuits.

I am not really clear on the all the specifics, but that was how it was explained to me.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:45 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:03 am
nevadacat wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:10 pm

Missoula has open enrollment which makes this all possible. As I understand it, there are no school boundary lines and all students are allowed to choose which school they go to. This is meant to allow students to pursue their area of interest for education purposes. For example, a student interested in liberal arts would select Hellgate due to their offerings in that area. A student interested in STEM would select one of the other two high schools. This has translated into kids selecting schools based on athletic pursuits.

I am not really clear on the all the specifics, but that was how it was explained to me.
Interesting...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.