University of Washington Head Coach

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

University of Washington Head Coach

Post by HelenaCat95 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:42 pm

Reports are the UW is firing Gilbertson this afternoon.

Start the speculation on the next UW head coach.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:45 pm

U of W has just put out a press release dening that Gilbertson has been fired.

Stayed tune!!

theblackgecko
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by theblackgecko » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:50 pm

How about Steve Spurrier?

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:54 pm

:-k

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:55 pm

Or a certain former UW assistant, who is now a head coach with a winning record in the Big Sky?

:wink:
Last edited by HelenaCat95 on Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:56 pm

Actually, my top two predictions for UW head coach are Dan Hawkins (Boise State) and Bobby Petrino (Louisville)

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:01 pm

Hawkins would be a logical choice, but I am not so sure they could lure him away from Boise right now. He is making a pretty decent chunk of change in Boise, and they would have to basically triple his salary to make it a net raise in pay. Boise is a great place to live, and while I love visiting Seattle, I wouldn't want to live there. When I was in Boise this summer on clinicals, Hawkins was on the radio for my drive home almost every day, and I think he really likes it there. He came in with big goals, and I don't think he has accomplished everything there yet. I'm not saying they couldn't entice him away, but it may be more difficult than it appears to the outside observer.

GO CATS GO!!!

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:14 pm

What about Urban Meyer at Utah??

Cat-theotherwhitemeat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:19 pm

Anybody want to bet it's not Neuheisel??

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:59 pm

Anybody want to bet it's not Hauck??

Ow!! Ok I admit that cheap, slimy .., but oh how good it felt!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:21 pm

I'm actually in Seattle right now, and I just finished listening to the press conference on the radio.

The sports talk radio guys seem to think the top candidates are the coaches from Boise State (Hawkins?), Utah (Meyer), Fresno State (?), and Cal (?). The other names that were mentioned were Mike Price (how funny would that be?), Steve Spurrior, and Helena's own Bobby Petrino.

I think that this coaching change will have an impact on the BSC as EWU, UM and MSU all recruit heavily in the state of Washington, and may be on the minds of kids looking to transfer.

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:31 pm

I'm not sure if I've ever believed in firing a coach during the season. How does this effect the players' routine for gametime? Or since UW has a losing record does the actual routine and attitude from the players matter anyway? I hope Urban Meyer does not leave the Utes. He has taken that program to new heights. If I had to think of someone right now that could take over for Washington, it's Hawkinson from Boise State. He has also taken the Broncos to new heights, much to the delight of I-AA, who hasn't produced many good I-A teams lately.

FTC

velochat

Post by velochat » Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:56 am

I believe Gilbertson resigned.

raincat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by raincat » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:32 am

Bozone: Hawkins would be getting a seven figure inducement to come to Seattle. Therefore, he wouldn't be living in the same Seattle most of us live in. No disrespect to Boise, I've lived there and loved it, but in terms of college football it's still a stepping stone to the big time.
Everyone is being "mentioned". Erickson is being "mentioned", Smith from Michigan State is being "mentioned", Spurrier has been "mentioned". Since Neuheisel was basically exonarated of any and all misguided activities by the NCAA, the school will probably need to check with him before hiring anyone because he is going to own the athletic department.
My understanding of Gilby "resigning" now is (1) he was told he's toast anyway (2) he made statements regarding position commitments for the balance of the season that are proving short sighted. He is now free to "relax" and try whatever he wants. (3) it gets UW in the hunt early for a replacement.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:11 pm

Speaking of Dan Hawkings of BSU, I just found out that his daughter is a freshman at MSU this fall.

lifeloyalsigmsu
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by lifeloyalsigmsu » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:55 pm

As a UW alum (also an MSU alum), I've been following that pretty closely.

Meyer is a good choice but I believe he will be heading to Florida as their university president Bernie Machen (sp?) brought Meyer aboard at Utah before he left. Spurrier won't come to a climate like Seattle's. He's made it clear he wants a warm, balmier area where he can golf year round. Pat Hill of Fresno State has pretty much been ruled out. Dan Hawkins is another possibility but when you enter a BCS conference, you need a defense to go along with the potent offenses that Hawkins has produced. They kept their win streak alive today in another shootout with SJ State today. My personal choice is Tedford from Cal. If Cal doesn't own up to their promise to completely revamp and completely renovate their sports facility, then he's gone. If that's the case, UW will have a great chance at him. However, with the mess that UW's program is currently experiencing, it will be tough to pull him away, but I will wish for that. Other possibilities would be Petrino and as a Montana native, I think that would be a pretty good choice. However, despite amassing potent offenses at Louisville, defenses are still suspect there too.

Gilbertson did resign but Emmert would have gotten rid of him had he not chosen to resign.

My only hope with them is that Emmert can find another diamond in the rough a la Nick Saban and everything can get back to where it once was at Montlake.

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation." --Thomas Reed