Bobby Hauck does it again!

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Bobby Hauck does it again!

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:30 am

MISSOULA (AP) — University of Montana football coach Bobby Hauck has dismissed the team's longtime spiritual adviser for refusing to celebrate a Saturday Mass for the team, the former team chaplain said.

‘‘For various reasons, I consider that inappropriate and declined,'' said the Rev. Jim Hogan, who serves Christ the King Catholic Church in Missoula. ‘‘Coach Hauck then informed me that I was no longer needed to minister as team chaplain.''

Hauck and Athletic Director Don Read refused to speak to The Missoulian about the issue.

UM President George Dennison was out of town and unavailable for comment.

Hogan said Wednesday he'll miss his relationship with the players and their parents.

Hogan called game days a rich opportunity to support team members and said he encouraged them to strive for moral excellence both on and off the field.

‘‘As every coach must, Bobby Hauck has his own vision for his team,'' Hogan said. ‘‘We have differing ideas of my role of chaplain. I wish the best for the Griz. I know they will have a very successful year.''

Hogan served as the Grizzlies' spiritual adviser for 17 years, beginning soon after Read came to UM as a football coach in 1986.

Hogan, an unpaid volunteer, traveled with the team to national championship games in Chattanooga, Tenn., and Huntington, W.Va.

He also was known for helping players with homework, proctoring final exams, giving pregame talks, holding voluntary nondenominational spiritual meetings and feeding players home-cooked meals.

Jerome Souers, a former UM defensive coordinator who is now Northern Arizona University's head football coach, said in a 2001 interview that Hogan's presence may have helped the team on the scoreboard.

‘‘I don't think it's ever been done, but someone should do the stats on the Griz's win-loss record when Father Hogan was present,'' Souers said.

‘‘I think what you would find is it's incredible," he added.

2024 Resume dominance

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:59 am

Butthead is at it again I see. Little man syndrome is all I can say.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:34 am

Although the facts are scetchy, the only thing I can see happening is that Father Hogan refused to say a Mass for a Griz victory. Priests will usually do everything that is asked of them for a safe trip, no injuries, avoiding trouble etc, but they feel that God is neutral. Obviously Bobby may have been looking for a little more of an edge.
Last edited by Helcat72 on Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

2024 Resume dominance

JahGriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by JahGriz » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:41 am

Just when I think he is coming around and maturing and listening to other people, this happens. I'm beginning to think he doesn't give to isht about the tradition of the Griz and only cares about dismantling it and then moving on like all our other coaches. At least our other coaches stuck with tradition before abandoning ship.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:03 am

Bobby is not exactly the poster child for "How to win friends and ...", but this is really over the top even for him. I have to imagine that more friz fans than just JahGriz are a bit peeved over this. I will say this- Although in a totally different way, Bobby is becoming as entertaining for Bobcat fans as Kramer!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:16 am

I don't think we need to convict anyone before we hear all of the facts. We may find that there is a logical explanation for what BH did....but the early returns don't put him in a very bright light! I emphsize the word bright!

2024 Resume dominance

JahGriz

Post by JahGriz » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:31 am

I may have jumped to judgement to early. But you are right helcat, any way you look at it it doesn't cast a good light on BH. Even if he was in some way completely right in what he did. It just looks bad even if the facts come out in favor of BH.

Cat-theotherwhitemeat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:36 am

Well, you know....maybe it had something to do with the priest and young boys. :shock:

I'd like to say thanks to everyone for their kindness here on bobcatnation as this is probably my last post because of a freak accident that I should be having sometime today.

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:44 am

Cat-theotherwhitemeat wrote:Well, you know....maybe it had something to do with the priest and young boys. :shock:

I'd like to say thanks to everyone for their kindness here on bobcatnation as this is probably my last post because of a freak accident that I should be having sometime today.
Repent my son!....and watch out for the freaks!

2024 Resume dominance

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:50 am

Meat (if thats what you want to call yourself). I heard he was a closet cat fan. :D

first the cat story and now this you are on thin ice. :D

Griz Sugar coaters rally we're under attack.

Priest called it a non story this morning on the radio and it happend 2 weeks ago. Msln must have had nothing better to print.

Never mistake activity for accomplishment.

I'm sick of the man because the man is a thief.

Four

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:09 am

bearBAC wrote:
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:Butthead is at it again I see. Little man syndrome is all I can say.
Wow IF I'd posted this Topic or crap like this quote. It would have been deleted, or the whole message would have been move to another board.

What does this have to do with bobbliekitten football anyway?

When I say Butthead, I'm refering to that he looks like Butthead from Beavis and Butthead. Take a look, its pretty close resemblance :) I'm gonna get some T-Shirts produced by Cat/Griz this year for sure :lol:

And yes, I don't like the guy and will honestly say it on this site. I know a lot of Griz fans that don't like him as well. This just adds more to the fire.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:46 am

Just to be fair, we should keep in mind that the article was completely from the point of view of the person who was dismissed. I've read way too many things in the past that seemed damning to someone when told from a particular point of view, but are perfectly reasonable when the full story is told.

I'm tempted to just go delete bb's post due to its whininess (and that fact that it's wrong, but that's expected). I like the irony of that scenario, but I'll hold off on exercising that power, in a show of generosity. :wink: You would think that he would give it up after even people on eGriz started telling him that he needs therapy for his issues.
Last edited by SonomaCat on Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

raincat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by raincat » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:43 am

Help Wanted

Out of work Catholic Priest wanted. Prior experience desirable. Resume should include w-l record of games actually attended. Call 406-994-GOBobcats.

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:23 pm

raincat I tried to call 406-994-GOBobcats and got a live sex line. They wanted my Credit card # so I gave them meats. :D It was in Russsian. :?

(If you guys havn't noticed CTOWM wants be refered to as Meat from now on)

Never mistake activity for accomplishment.

I'm sick of the man because the man is a thief.

Four

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:54 pm

So Hauck decides to keep the Offensive Coordinator, but fire the Priest.

HA HA

GO CATS

Cat-theotherwhitemeat

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:42 pm

Yeah baby, I drove home for lunch, went for a run, and I didn't get struck down! THE man must not read this message board. Hauck is the one that should be worried anyway. He's the one that canned a priest. Good luck going to confession now.

Bobby: Sorry Father, for I have sinned.....
Priest: Yeah...good luck with that...now ba bye

Meat is better because White Meat makes me sound like a bed sheet wearer. Doesn't matter, I'll respond to just about anything. :)

I've been looking all over for that credit card. I thought it was kind of weird that you hugged me when we met. :D
Last edited by Cat-theotherwhitemeat on Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

Cat-theotherwhitemeat

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:43 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:So Hauck decides to keep the Offensive Coordinator, but fire the Priest.
The priest wasn't averaging 34 points a game. \:D/

velochat

Post by velochat » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:03 am

:lol: very funny!