Back into the portal

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Back into the portal

Post by 94VegasCat » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 am

I see Clifton wasn’t happy at Temple. Poor Clifton

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Re: Back into the portal

Post by RickRund » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:13 am

94VegasCat wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 am
Sorry, there have been so many. Who is Clifton?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:16 am

RickRund wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:13 am
94VegasCat wrote:
The griz quarterback who is now on about his 12th school.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:20 am

HelenaCat wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:16 am
RickRund wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:13 am
94VegasCat wrote:
The griz quarterback who is now on about his 12th school.
Thanks, I was thinking gris but couldn't come up with a name.

msubobcats@outlook.com

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:46 am

He did not even make it to spring football at Temple...maybe they were making him go to class.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:16 pm

That guy might not have been Tom Brady but he definitely had something there in terms of the "it" factor. After that NAU game when I was pretty sure the Griz weren't making the playoffs... they inserted that kid and the team rallied around him, he made the plays he needed to make at critical times with his arm or with his legs, and took them to Frisco. Kinda like John Edwards. I don't care what Griz nation says, you might get into next season and quickly realize how much you miss him.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:26 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:16 pm
That guy might not have been Tom Brady but he definitely had something there in terms of the "it" factor. After that NAU game when I was pretty sure the Griz weren't making the playoffs... they inserted that kid and the team rallied around him, he made the plays he needed to make at critical times with his arm or with his legs, and took them to Frisco. Kinda like John Edwards. I don't care what Griz nation says, you might get into next season and quickly realize how much you miss him.
I did not see the “it” factor with him. He seemed pouty and aloof. He was the right fit for their system and they saw success with him. I don’t think guys played harder for him.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:08 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:26 pm
catatac wrote:
I did not see the “it” factor with him. He seemed pouty and aloof. He was the right fit for their system and they saw success with him. I don’t think guys played harder for him.
Well from what I saw, leading up to the season the Vidlak kid was the savior, next Griz legend. Had he stayed the starter, Griz don't make it to Frisco.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:44 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:08 pm
Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
Well from what I saw, leading up to the season the Vidlak kid was the savior, next Griz legend. Had he stayed the starter, Griz don't make it to Frisco.
Vidlak was terrible. And Griz were successful with McDowell as he was simply a better fit for their offense. In my opinion, the “it” factor is reserved for a special kind of player. It is a super subjective label, but I never saw any leadership that made me want McDowell on our team.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:39 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:44 pm
catatac wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
Vidlak was terrible. And Griz were successful with McDowell as he was simply a better fit for their offense. In my opinion, the “it” factor is reserved for a special kind of player. It is a super subjective label, but I never saw any leadership that made me want McDowell on our team.
I totally agree, yet before the season they all thought Vidlak was all world. Not for a second did I watch McDowell and think I would rather have him than Mellott, Chambers, or even Reed. My main point is that most of Griz nation thinks they're guaranteed to be better at QB not that McDowell is gone. Time will tell but I'd bet against that. Remember when Brown was going to destroy the Big Sky? Flop. Then Vidlak. Flop. Now it's the Ah Yat kid, and some other transfer they signed that are going to light it up. We'll see. Bobby's track record isn't very good with QB's.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 am

catatac wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:39 pm
Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
I totally agree, yet before the season they all thought Vidlak was all world. Not for a second did I watch McDowell and think I would rather have him than Mellott, Chambers, or even Reed. My main point is that most of Griz nation thinks they're guaranteed to be better at QB not that McDowell is gone. Time will tell but I'd bet against that. Remember when Brown was going to destroy the Big Sky? Flop. Then Vidlak. Flop. Now it's the Ah Yat kid, and some other transfer they signed that are going to light it up. We'll see. Bobby's track record isn't very good with QB's.
Agreed. Can’t believe anything that comes from a Gris fan. Although Bobcat nation falls to the same positive reviews of Cat players. We have just been fortunate that most of those rave reviews have been accurate.

The Ah Yat kid did look like he could pass. Vidlak and Brown were both terrible. Hard to understand how Vidlak won the starting job over McDowell initially, except maybe that McDowell never “bonded” with teammates. He just seemed aloof.

It sure about the incoming transfer, but it seems like another attempt to put a band aid on a broken piece. They go this route basically ever year and finally had one that worked for them last year, and he left.

I am still scratching my head at their success this year. One of the worst Gris showing in the NAU game, to making a historic run. Can’t stand Hauck and think he is a childish piece of crap, but he made the right decisions after NAU. One of the better coaching turnarounds in my memory.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:29 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 am
catatac wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:39 pm
Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
Agreed. Can’t believe anything that comes from a Gris fan. Although Bobcat nation falls to the same positive reviews of Cat players. We have just been fortunate that most of those rave reviews have been accurate.

The Ah Yat kid did look like he could pass. Vidlak and Brown were both terrible. Hard to understand how Vidlak won the starting job over McDowell initially, except maybe that McDowell never “bonded” with teammates. He just seemed aloof.

It sure about the incoming transfer, but it seems like another attempt to put a band aid on a broken piece. They go this route basically ever year and finally had one that worked for them last year, and he left.

I am still scratching my head at their success this year. One of the worst Gris showing in the NAU game, to making a historic run. Can’t stand Hauck and think he is a childish piece of crap, but he made the right decisions after NAU. One of the better coaching turnarounds in my memory.
Actually, I saw video clips of Vidlak in practice and he absolutely was crushing it and throwing dimes, with velocity, consistently. Obviously just didn't carry over into the games, or maybe just didn't mesh with the team as you mention.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:39 pm

McDowell is leaving because he was not going to start at UM. so what.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:50 am

Montanabob wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:39 pm
Is Ah Yat going to be the presumed starter then? Carry on the name as a new "legend".

msubobcats@outlook.com

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:12 pm

RickRund wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:50 am
Montanabob wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:39 pm
Is Ah Yat going to be the presumed starter then? Carry on the name as a new "legend".
I'm guessing it will come down to either Ah Yat, or the transfer kid from Fresno State. Neither of them will lead them as well as McDowell did IMO. In other words, I don't think they're making it back to Frisco. The winner of Cat\Griz wins it all this year and I feel very good about the Cats winning that game in Bobcat Stadium. Of course it is March. :lol:

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:27 am

Per Colter, the griz are having a team meeting to vote on allowing Cliff to come back. That team sure seems to have a lot of player votes on things.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:50 pm

The sad things is Colter reported when he entered the portal last week that there were some rumors that he would have to get a waiver to play at Temple. Even though it's his sixth year he isn't eligible as a grad transfer. He's moved around so much that he can't put together enough credits for a degree, any degree. He is nowhere near pro caliber so he needs someone in his ear telling him use this last year to get something out of all this football.

"A lotta people go to school for 7 years" "Yes, they're called doctors"
Tommy Boy

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:54 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:50 pm
The sad things is Colter reported when he entered the portal last week that there were some rumors that he would have to get a waiver to play at Temple. Even though it's his sixth year he isn't eligible as a grad transfer. He's moved around so much that he can't put together enough credits for a degree, any degree. He is nowhere near pro caliber so he needs someone in his ear telling him use this last year to get something out of all this football.

"A lotta people go to school for 7 years" "Yes, they're called doctors"
Tommy Boy
Feels like we need to start a new version of that Tommy Boy joke.

"A lotta people go to school for 7 years" "Yes, they're called student athletes".

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:24 pm

I feel bad for the transfer QB that came in at semester thinking McDowell had moved on. Just doesn't seem right.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:36 pm

If he comes back it'll be interesting to see how some gris fans manage to change their tune from "good, we didn't want him anyway" to "My man! time for another run!"