8 Game Regular Season Schedule for the Griz

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

8 Game Regular Season Schedule for the Griz

Post by catatac » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:01 pm

in 2025, according to my buddy. I know it's 7 games in 2024, but had no idea about this. That's crazy. I don't remember if the Cats have ever had more than six. Money makes the world go round. Think about those ticket sales, and everything that goes with it. Could easily be 21 home games in two years over there..... what's that, $50 million in ticket sales alone?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: 8 Game Regular Season Schedule for the Griz

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:30 am

It's good for them financially, for sure. But they don't have a bye from Labor Day to Thanksgiving, so that is going to be interesting to watch. And for the out of town fans, of which there are plenty, that's going to be expensive and tiring. Assume a couple playoff games, and most are going to be picking out a couple they can't go to. But still, even with a stadium at 90% capacity on average for 8 games (it'll be higher than that), that's more tickets sold than 7 sellouts. If MSU gets 8 home games I don't think there's any way I'm making every one of them, and I'd probably be saying "greedy pricks" as I looked at the schedule. But it would be good for the team (except for the lack of a bye) and for the university.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:42 am

catatac wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:01 pm
in 2025, according to my buddy. I know it's 7 games in 2024, but had no idea about this. That's crazy. I don't remember if the Cats have ever had more than six. Money makes the world go round. Think about those ticket sales, and everything that goes with it. Could easily be 21 home games in two years over there..... what's that, $50 million in ticket sales alone?
Their 2025 schedule is posted online and does in fact have 8 home games. One of them is a D-II game against Central Washington but the others are all FCS opponents. I also don't recall MSU ever having more than six regular season home games, even in the 12-game schedule years I think they've always played 2 at home and 2 on the road in non-conference. Assuming that UM will be raising their season ticket prices to adjust for the additional home games, I can't say I'd be too thrilled about an 8-game home schedule as a fan. It's already pretty damn expensive to be a college football fan these days, especially if you're one of the many who has to travel from out of town to attend every home game.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:49 am

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:42 am
catatac wrote:
Their 2025 schedule is posted online and does in fact have 8 home games. One of them is a D-II gahttps://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/posting.php?mode=edit&f=16&p=860386#me against Central Washington but the others are all FCS opponents. I also don't recall MSU ever having more than six regular season home games, even in the 12-game schedule years I think they've always played 2 at home and 2 on the road in non-conference. Assuming that UM will be raising their season ticket prices to adjust for the additional home games, I can't say I'd be too thrilled about an 8-game home schedule as a fan. It's already pretty damn expensive to be a college football fan these days, especially if you're one of the many who has to travel from out of town to attend every home game.
Actually MSU did have 7 home games one year, when it was a 12-game season, during the Rob Ash era. It was either 2013 or 2014.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:56 am

I just looked it up. It was the 2014 season when we played 7 home games.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:30 am

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:42 am
catatac wrote:
Their 2025 schedule is posted online and does in fact have 8 home games. One of them is a D-II game against Central Washington but the others are all FCS opponents. I also don't recall MSU ever having more than six regular season home games, even in the 12-game schedule years I think they've always played 2 at home and 2 on the road in non-conference. Assuming that UM will be raising their season ticket prices to adjust for the additional home games, I can't say I'd be too thrilled about an 8-game home schedule as a fan. It's already pretty damn expensive to be a college football fan these days, especially if you're one of the many who has to travel from out of town to attend every home game.
That's what I'm saying. It comes across to me as a pretty presumptuous forced donation for season ticket holders. Obviously they're not giving away free games. And maybe it's just my gris fan friends, but it already seems like for most games you see quite a few season ticket holders trying to unload their tickets. Add in a game or two and the market could be flooded.

10 years ago you could travel halfway across the state for a game and spend $100 a night on hotel rooms, and get out of town for $300-400 for a weekend. Now with fuel prices a little higher, food prices quite a bit higher, and obviously lodging being what it is, it's not all that hard to sneak up on $1,000 a weekend for a couple people. Do that eight times, plus the three home playoff games you hope for, plus travel to Frisco like you hope for, and being a fan becomes a pretty expensive hobby.