UM's team and MSU's team

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: UM's team and MSU's team

Post by MSU01 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:47 am

LMAO, PlayerRep/MtHoopsFan is back on eGriz crying about the unfair treatment he received here. What a weirdo.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:30 pm

Grizfan7 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:30 pm
I hope you can teach us Griz fans about how good all of your players are, and how they are all, except maybe for 2 who some of you say are the only 2 who would start for the Cats, better than the Griz players. Some of you admit the Gubner and Bergen are top notch.

QB's - your 2 QB's a very good. The Griz QB situation is a work in progress, but there's some talent in the QB room, and picking McDowell as the starter in the last 3 games is paying off so far. Not having a starter held the UM O back this year early on. And the O still has to become much better.

Receivers - I don't know anything about your receivers, but Bergen, Fontes and White are very good, fast, athletic and have good hands. UM receiver are 6th, 9th and 29th in conference. 30, 29, and 17 receptions. I see that your receivers have: 15, 8 and 12 catches. 1, 2 and 3 TD's.

Running backs - I don't know much about your backs, other than some stats. Yes, I know MSU has a terrific running game, but a good running game, good blocking, and good running scheme, don't necessary mean that backs are great runners. And can they catch? The Griz have 3 terrific running backs and very good 4th one, who played a number of games last year. The top 2 are sharing most of the carries. The 3d guy was a starter much of last year as a true frosh. All have speed. The top 2 also have power. One of the top 2 was hurt early in the year and didn't play then. Gilman is averaging about the same number of yards per game as White, but not nearly as much per carry.

O-Line - Your o-line is very good. The UM o-line is finally starting to get their act together. Same starters as last year, and a transfer who started at his FCS school last season. Good depth. One returning first team all conference player, who was a pre-season all conference pick this year. He has had a nagging injury and hasn't played full time and hasn't started many games. He had a terrific game against Idaho, but didn't start. A returning 3d team all-conference player. And, Walker, who was picked by a publication to be the first conference player picked in the NFL draft this year. He was off to a slow start, but since some changes in o-line play were made by the coaches several weeks ago, he and all of the o-line are now coming alive and playing much better. We shall see. Coming into the season, I had preferred the UM o-line because I thought they could pass block better than the Cats o-line and passing is important to the Griz. That doesn't mean I thought they were better than the Cats' o-line. If UM's o-line doesn't continue to play better, then UM is not going to meet its goals. I think they will, but who knows.

TE's - I know your coach thinks your TE's are very good. I don't think they were all-conference picks, tho. UM lost its top one to injury, Grossman, but has 2 huge kids playing, blocking well, and have caught the very few passes throw their way. I don't pay much attention to TE's.

D-Line - Many believe Gubner is the best d-lineman in the conference and one of the best in FCS. He had chances to go FBS, but stayed. He's a great player and hard worker. UM just got its 2d best d-lineman backs. UM has pretty good talent and even some depth now, along with good speed, but lacks size. I haven't talked to the coaches about the d-line, so I don't have much more to say.

LB's - The UM linebackers are very good and have depth. Braxton Hill is playing at all-conference level, and has been nominated for conference D player of week 3 times. Newcomer Riley Wilson is very good and fast, but has missed some games due to injury. He's back now and playing very well. He will likely be all conference after this year (and I think has 2 more years after this). No. 37 Janacaro is good. Having Roger Cooper at the lb coach seems to have helped this group step up. I can't imagine the Cat backers are as good and deep as the Griz backers, but I look forward to you convincing me otherwise.

Secondary - The UM secondary is fairly deep and has a bunch of good players. No all-Americans like last years. Maybe a 2/3 guys who will make an all-conference team. MSU has a fairly slow safety. A conference coach (not from UM) told me that. He can be taken advantage of. I know little about the Cats' secondary. Who are your possible all-conference players? Your starters from last week are kind of small: 5'8", 184, 5'10", 171, 6'1", 206, 6'1", 181, 6', 171. Hopefully, they are fast and good tacklers.

Hill and Meyer are 4th and 12th in the conference in tackles. Cats' best are 25th and 28th. UM has 11 picks; MSU 7 (1 less game). MSU has gotten a lot of sacks; UM has given up a ton of sacks, but hopefully that is improving now with the changes to the o-line scheme (or whatever was changed).

Bergen is averaging 18.6 in punt returns and is top 5 in the nation. I like the Cat kicker/punter. Strong leg. Good get for Cats.

The Griz D is very good. They tackle well. They have depth, but, again, lack size on the d-line.
This is one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen. Clearly written by someone who lacks intellectual curiosity, knows very little about football and has, quite obviously, never played the game.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:34 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:30 pm
Grizfan7 wrote:
I hope you can teach us Griz fans about how good all of your players are, and how they are all, except maybe for 2 who some of you say are the only 2 who would start for the Cats, better than the Griz players. Some of you admit the Gubner and Bergen are top notch.

QB's - your 2 QB's a very good. The Griz QB situation is a work in progress, but there's some talent in the QB room, and picking McDowell as the starter in the last 3 games is paying off so far. Not having a starter held the UM O back this year early on. And the O still has to become much better.

Receivers - I don't know anything about your receivers, but Bergen, Fontes and White are very good, fast, athletic and have good hands. UM receiver are 6th, 9th and 29th in conference. 30, 29, and 17 receptions. I see that your receivers have: 15, 8 and 12 catches. 1, 2 and 3 TD's.

Running backs - I don't know much about your backs, other than some stats. Yes, I know MSU has a terrific running game, but a good running game, good blocking, and good running scheme, don't necessary mean that backs are great runners. And can they catch? The Griz have 3 terrific running backs and very good 4th one, who played a number of games last year. The top 2 are sharing most of the carries. The 3d guy was a starter much of last year as a true frosh. All have speed. The top 2 also have power. One of the top 2 was hurt early in the year and didn't play then. Gilman is averaging about the same number of yards per game as White, but not nearly as much per carry.

O-Line - Your o-line is very good. The UM o-line is finally starting to get their act together. Same starters as last year, and a transfer who started at his FCS school last season. Good depth. One returning first team all conference player, who was a pre-season all conference pick this year. He has had a nagging injury and hasn't played full time and hasn't started many games. He had a terrific game against Idaho, but didn't start. A returning 3d team all-conference player. And, Walker, who was picked by a publication to be the first conference player picked in the NFL draft this year. He was off to a slow start, but since some changes in o-line play were made by the coaches several weeks ago, he and all of the o-line are now coming alive and playing much better. We shall see. Coming into the season, I had preferred the UM o-line because I thought they could pass block better than the Cats o-line and passing is important to the Griz. That doesn't mean I thought they were better than the Cats' o-line. If UM's o-line doesn't continue to play better, then UM is not going to meet its goals. I think they will, but who knows.

TE's - I know your coach thinks your TE's are very good. I don't think they were all-conference picks, tho. UM lost its top one to injury, Grossman, but has 2 huge kids playing, blocking well, and have caught the very few passes throw their way. I don't pay much attention to TE's.

D-Line - Many believe Gubner is the best d-lineman in the conference and one of the best in FCS. He had chances to go FBS, but stayed. He's a great player and hard worker. UM just got its 2d best d-lineman backs. UM has pretty good talent and even some depth now, along with good speed, but lacks size. I haven't talked to the coaches about the d-line, so I don't have much more to say.

LB's - The UM linebackers are very good and have depth. Braxton Hill is playing at all-conference level, and has been nominated for conference D player of week 3 times. Newcomer Riley Wilson is very good and fast, but has missed some games due to injury. He's back now and playing very well. He will likely be all conference after this year (and I think has 2 more years after this). No. 37 Janacaro is good. Having Roger Cooper at the lb coach seems to have helped this group step up. I can't imagine the Cat backers are as good and deep as the Griz backers, but I look forward to you convincing me otherwise.

Secondary - The UM secondary is fairly deep and has a bunch of good players. No all-Americans like last years. Maybe a 2/3 guys who will make an all-conference team. MSU has a fairly slow safety. A conference coach (not from UM) told me that. He can be taken advantage of. I know little about the Cats' secondary. Who are your possible all-conference players? Your starters from last week are kind of small: 5'8", 184, 5'10", 171, 6'1", 206, 6'1", 181, 6', 171. Hopefully, they are fast and good tacklers.

Hill and Meyer are 4th and 12th in the conference in tackles. Cats' best are 25th and 28th. UM has 11 picks; MSU 7 (1 less game). MSU has gotten a lot of sacks; UM has given up a ton of sacks, but hopefully that is improving now with the changes to the o-line scheme (or whatever was changed).

Bergen is averaging 18.6 in punt returns and is top 5 in the nation. I like the Cat kicker/punter. Strong leg. Good get for Cats.

The Griz D is very good. They tackle well. They have depth, but, again, lack size on the d-line.
This is one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen. Clearly written by someone who lacks intellectual curiosity, knows very little about football and has, quite obviously, never played the game.
If this was a parody account it would be great but this guy is actually serious. Here's a summary of his post:

QBs - There's some talent in the QB room but it didn't include a starter until the last 3 weeks.

Receivers - "I don't know anything about your receivers" but I found the BSC stats page.

Running backs - "Yes, I know MSU has a terrific running game, but... doesn't necessary mean that backs are great runners." One of our RBs is averaging almost as many yards per game as one of yours but not as many yards per carry (actually 5.4 vs 9.1).

O-line - We were preseason champs! I like our O-line better even though I don't think they are as good as the Cats.

TE's - Your guys weren't even pre-season champs. "I don't pay much attention to TE's."

D-Line - I'm going to imply that I talk to coaches, just not about this position.

LB's - It's an honor just to be nominated. Helpful to have a former Cat coaching our guys.

Secondary - I'm going to imply that I talk to other teams' coaches. "I know little about the Cats' secondary" but I looked at the height/weight on the team roster page.

Here are some more stats. Hopefully we'll stop giving up sacks now that something changed, not that I know what that is.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:37 pm

Regarding Eli Gilman, who I think is a good back, but he’s been largely boom or bust. He has a little over 500 yards on the season, if I remember correctly, on just over 90 carries. Averaging 5.4 YPC. 218 of those yards have come on 6 carries!! Now I’m not trying to say that’s bad, breaking big runs is always good, but I’m more trying to show the consistency of him and the overall Griz run game. Take out his big plays, and he’s averaging 3.3 YPC. Most would expect big plays aren’t going to happen every game, so if we see what guys are getting without the chunk plays, it’s meaningful. Gilman, btw, has one of my favorite stat lines of all time. 8 carries for 86 yards with a long of 85.

Ostmo is basically living off of one good game against Utah Tech. He had an alright game against Idaho State, and everything else has been awful.

Xavier Harris has been largely non-existent.

Anybody saying those backs and the running game is terrific hasn’t seen a good running game in decades.

griz5700
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by griz5700 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:59 pm

Tell you what, this board and the people who post here is 100X better than egriz.

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ
http://goo.gl/A6rsSA

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:50 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:37 pm
Regarding Eli Gilman, who I think is a good back, but he’s been largely boom or bust. He has a little over 500 yards on the season, if I remember correctly, on just over 90 carries. Averaging 5.4 YPC. 218 of those yards have come on 6 carries!! Now I’m not trying to say that’s bad, breaking big runs is always good, but I’m more trying to show the consistency of him and the overall Griz run game. Take out his big plays, and he’s averaging 3.3 YPC. Most would expect big plays aren’t going to happen every game, so if we see what guys are getting without the chunk plays, it’s meaningful. Gilman, btw, has one of my favorite stat lines of all time. 8 carries for 86 yards with a long of 85.

Ostmo is basically living off of one good game against Utah Tech. He had an alright game against Idaho State, and everything else has been awful.

Xavier Harris has been largely non-existent.

Anybody saying those backs and the running game is terrific hasn’t seen a good running game in decades.
gris RB's could have a lot YPC with our OL, TE's and receivers blocking for them

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:10 pm

Grizfan7 wrote:
I hope you can teach us Griz fans about how good all of your players are...
Good.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:27 pm

I gotta say, I’m rather thrilled that UM fans are thinking they’re of a similar talent level as MSU.

Now that may lead somebody to logically think, well hey, if we’re just as talented, why aren’t we as good?! So you’d think maybe it’s the coaching. But no, no, Bobby is the best. The people I talk to (in my head) told me so. Well then why did we lose by 30 to them?! Oh. Coach told me we just didn’t adjust well, players hit the wrong gaps, made the wrong reads, players were hurt. That makes sense! Our totally just as talented roster and best coaching staff in the nation just made some mistakes! That definitely explains a 30 point loss! In fact, my coaching buddies (in my head) told me the Griz RB’s are way better than MSU’s. And I personally would rather have our OL than theirs. But MSU’s RB’s only get yards because of their OL and scheme. Hmmm…something doesn’t seem right there. Oh well!

I tell you folks, Denial isn’t just the river in Egypt, it’s flowing straight through Missoula too.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:38 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:27 pm
I gotta say, I’m rather thrilled that UM fans are thinking they’re of a similar talent level as MSU.

Now that may lead somebody to logically think, well hey, if we’re just as talented, why aren’t we as good?! So you’d think maybe it’s the coaching. But no, no, Bobby is the best. The people I talk to (in my head) told me so. Well then why did we lose by 30 to them?! Oh. Coach told me we just didn’t adjust well, players hit the wrong gaps, made the wrong reads, players were hurt. That makes sense! Our totally just as talented roster and best coaching staff in the nation just made some mistakes! That definitely explains a 30 point loss! In fact, my coaching buddies (in my head) told me the Griz RB’s are way better than MSU’s. And I personally would rather have our OL than theirs. But MSU’s RB’s only get yards because of their OL and scheme. Hmmm…something doesn’t seem right there. Oh well!

I tell you folks, Denial isn’t just the river in Egypt, it’s flowing straight through Missoula too.
It's that exact disorder/dysfunction of PR's/Hoops that is/was a big part of egris downward spiral. Most knowledgeable egris posters from years ago left. Thanks KMAX.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:24 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:

I'm not aware of any UM fans, including myself, who have said the Griz talent level is the same as the Cats. Not one. What has been said, is that there are some Cat fans who have had an inflated view of how good the Cats and some of their players groups are. I assume that some of those Cat fans have toned down some of their views/post after the Idaho game.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:18 am

Grizfan7 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:24 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

I'm not aware of any UM fans, including myself, who have said the Griz talent level is the same as the Cats. Not one. What has been said, is that there are some Cat fans who have had an inflated view of how good the Cats and some of their players groups are. I assume that some of those Cat fans have toned down some of their views/post after the Idaho game.
Nope. Still firmly believe we’re in the top 2 in the nation. Firmly believe we’ll beat the Griz soundly in a few weeks. I suppose we probably won’t see you here after that, you don’t like to slink around after losses.

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:42 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:18 am
Grizfan7 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:24 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

Nope. Still firmly believe we’re in the top 2 in the nation. Firmly believe we’ll beat the Griz soundly in a few weeks. I suppose we probably won’t see you here after that, you don’t like to slink around after losses.
I have only posted for a few days, total, on BN. Not sure what you are talking about. On egriz, I am usually around ini a big way after losses. I don't plan to post much on BN, so I probably won't be around much in any event.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:26 pm

The griz have no talent this year but their coaching is so much better than the Cats. I think we will have a tough time beating them.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:34 pm

gtapp wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:26 pm
The griz have no talent this year but their coaching is so much better than the Cats. I think we will have a tough time beating them.
Wow I'm willing to bet this comment won't age well...

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:18 pm

technoCat wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:34 pm
gtapp wrote:
I agree we have more talent by a significant margin. I don't know if they have "better" coaches but they have more passionate coaches especially when it comes to Cat/griz. I'd bet a lot Bobby has put way more into that game than Vigen has. We need the Choate we saw in the Miracle in Missoula documentary for that game. That just isn't Vigen's style.

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." - Abraham Lincoln

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:37 pm

WYCAT wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:18 pm
technoCat wrote:
gtapp wrote:
I agree we have more talent by a significant margin. I don't know if they have "better" coaches but they have more passionate coaches especially when it comes to Cat/griz. I'd bet a lot Bobby has put way more into that game than Vigen has. We need the Choate we saw in the Miracle in Missoula documentary for that game. That just isn't Vigen's style.
I'm not disagreeing with your Cats "have more talent by a significant margin", but I'm curious where you see the significantly more talent. I don't know the Cats individuals to know enough about their talent.

Part of what you said is why I have been saying since this summer that I thought the Griz would beat the Cats this season, regardless of who was the better team (and I thought the Cats would be good, and didn't know how good the Griz would be until I saw them play and saw what the new QB's would do). It's a home game for the Griz. Bobby Hauck is very competitive and doesn't like the Cats. The Griz won big in Missoula in 2021. The prior Cat win in Missoula against Bobby was an aberration, in my view, with the late timeout, etc. Great win for Cats, but that one didn't tell me that the Cats came come to Missoula and win generally.

And, because the Griz know how badly the Cats clobbered them last fall in Bozeman, as well as how many mistakes they made on defense. Like taking a half step the wrong way at the start of plays, or getting completely faked out, and getting some out of position that they had no chance of catching the speedy Mellott, they would be better prepared this year. And, the coaches have admitted that they didn't have the right scheme last year. This year, the Griz have a new and seemingly very good DC, have Tim Hauck as an analyst (he is apparently great with defensive schemes), Cooper in a new and better position coaching the important linebacker group, a new younger d-line coach who came from San Diego St (which is where the UM 3-3-5 came from), another position coach coaching moved to a better position group for him, and younger coaches replacing 2 older coaches (who were very good, but older and perhaps less hungry).

It looks like the game will be a great battle. My observation is that the Griz crowd is the best it's been in years. It will be interesting to see what the point spread is, and who is favored, assuming both teams take care of business next week.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:11 pm

WYCAT wrote:
technoCat wrote:
gtapp wrote:
Did…did you not watch the game last year?

Vigen has taken this program to places that Choate wouldn’t have, because Choate couldn’t recruit and develop a QB. Just because Vigen isn’t as outwardly expressive doesn’t mean he isn’t just as invested in the game. I promise you that Vigen gets how much the game means.

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:15 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:11 pm
WYCAT wrote:
technoCat wrote:
gtapp wrote:

Vigen has taken this program to places that Choate wouldn’t have, because Choate couldn’t recruit and develop a QB. Just because Vigen isn’t as outwardly expressive doesn’t mean he isn’t just as invested in the game. I promise you that Vigen gets how much the game means.
I did watch the game last year. I also watched the year before in Missoula with a very different outcome. I guarantee Bobby has done more preparation for the game than Vigen has. This is just another one you and I will have to agree to disagree on.

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." - Abraham Lincoln

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:22 am

WYCAT wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:15 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:11 pm
WYCAT wrote:
technoCat wrote:
gtapp wrote:

I did watch the game last year. I also watched the year before in Missoula with a very different outcome. I guarantee Bobby has done more preparation for the game than Vigen has. This is just another one you and I will have to agree to disagree on.
How could you possibly guarantee something like that? :-k

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:51 am

WYCAT wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:15 am
What is that based on?