New Mexico State Suspends Men’s Basketball

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: New Mexico State Suspends Men’s Basketball

Post by Cataholic » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:28 am

tdub wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:51 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:36 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:08 pm
I remember hazing was a pretty big thing in my high school. Luckily I was never on the giving or receiving end of it, but everyone knew it was going on. So dumb that people still feel the need to do this type of BS.

That said, I haven't seen anything that would indicate this is gang related.
Did you see what happened at Glacier High wrestling this season? That is way beyond what these kids did, and they still wrestled at State.
Not going to derail and chase this down a rabbit hole, but what you said is not accurate. Kids involved were suspended and did not wrestle. Every thing else is rumor and hearsay.
I am not sure what you mean. This has been public. Seven kids have been accused but two are suspended. Questions of whether the coaches were aware of the hazing and did nothing have lingered. I did hear that injunctions were filed by parents that allowed some to participate at state. The details have been left for court, but what I have heard is sickening.

https://406mtsports.com/high-school/wre ... 3.amp.html

https://nbcmontana.com/amp/news/local/p ... -wrestlers

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:04 pm

I remember being hazed going into high school, 1960. I was easy pickings as I was a whooping 89# entering my freshman year but grew a bunch when I had graduated.

A couple of seniors took me down and painted my face. To me not a big deal, pretty harmless. Nothing like what it looks like at Glacier or New Mexico...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:02 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:28 am
tdub wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
I remember hazing was a pretty big thing in my high school. Luckily I was never on the giving or receiving end of it, but everyone knew it was going on. So dumb that people still feel the need to do this type of BS.

Did you see what happened at Glacier High wrestling this season? That is way beyond what these kids did, and they still wrestled at State.
Not going to derail and chase this down a rabbit hole, but what you said is not accurate. Kids involved were suspended and did not wrestle. Every thing else is rumor and hearsay.
I am not sure what you mean. This has been public. Seven kids have been accused but two are suspended. Questions of whether the coaches were aware of the hazing and did nothing have lingered. I did hear that injunctions were filed by parents that allowed some to participate at state. The details have been left for court, but what I have heard is sickening.

“What I’ve heard” is the key phrase you used. Hearsay. There are also different versions of the severity of the events, that include all the kids still being friends to this day. But those versions aren’t as compelling to spread around social media and gossip circles. And I’ll 100% rebuke the notion of the coaches knowing and doing nothing. The head coach is one the most high integrity people I have ever met. I’ve seen him in action in difficult situations and he, without fail, has taken the integrity and honesty route every time.

The NBC Montana story was brought to them from the adults and the attorney trying to burn everything down. One-sided and sensationalized. The parties directly involved can’t legally speak or comment.

As far as the injunction. I haven’t seen anything about that. So I can’t speak to that one way or another. But if that were true, then obviously the judge issuing saw sufficient reason to allow kids to compete while others were suspended. I translate that as it may not be clear cut as the rumors say it is.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:53 pm

The basketball coach has been fired …

https://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/2553184

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:25 pm

tdub wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:02 pm
Cataholic wrote:
tdub wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

“What I’ve heard” is the key phrase you used. Hearsay. There are also different versions of the severity of the events, that include all the kids still being friends to this day. But those versions aren’t as compelling to spread around social media and gossip circles. And I’ll 100% rebuke the notion of the coaches knowing and doing nothing. The head coach is one the most high integrity people I have ever met. I’ve seen him in action in difficult situations and he, without fail, has taken the integrity and honesty route every time.

The NBC Montana story was brought to them from the adults and the attorney trying to burn everything down. One-sided and sensationalized. The parties directly involved can’t legally speak or comment.

As far as the injunction. I haven’t seen anything about that. So I can’t speak to that one way or another. But if that were true, then obviously the judge issuing saw sufficient reason to allow kids to compete while others were suspended. I translate that as it may not be clear cut as the rumors say it is.
I don’t have a dog in the fight. You sound like you know the people involved. I can only hope that the allegations are false, but I have no sympathy for anyone who sexually assaulted a teammate as part of hazing. It makes me sick that any kid could be subjected to such a situation so he can be considered part of the team.

If the coach knew any hazing was going on, he is in deep trouble. And you seem very defensive and acting like nothing happened. Why would these people pursue legal action against the school? What is their motive to do so? What do you know that is not hearsay or rumor that proves this did not happen?

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:06 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:25 pm
tdub wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:02 pm
Cataholic wrote:
tdub wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

I don’t have a dog in the fight. You sound like you know the people involved. I can only hope that the allegations are false, but I have no sympathy for anyone who sexually assaulted a teammate as part of hazing. It makes me sick that any kid could be subjected to such a situation so he can be considered part of the team.

If the coach knew any hazing was going on, he is in deep trouble. And you seem very defensive and acting like nothing happened. Why would these people pursue legal action against the school? What is their motive to do so? What do you know that is not hearsay or rumor that proves this did not happen?
I don’t have a dog in the fight either, but just commenting that there was some seriously bad hazing that went on in my high school on team busses. Like, really bad. That was 30 some years ago, and I’m not sure if it was the norm, or better or worse than what is average. Definitely crossed the line by today’s standards and yesterday’s as well.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:36 pm

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back