Learning to win/learning to lose

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Learning to win/learning to lose

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:25 am

The one thing that hasn’t happened during NDSU’s run is a moment that has caused them to pause and think about the notion that they might not be all that. Every loss or bad game has been followed up with a big win or string of wins that makes it look like a fluke. I think a second loss in the same season to the same team and off-season to think about it might go a long way in teaching them to loss.

Winning begets winning. Losing begets losing.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Re: Learning to win/learning to lose

Post by catatac » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:09 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:25 am
The one thing that hasn’t happened during NDSU’s run is a moment that has caused them to pause and think about the notion that they might not be all that. Every loss or bad game has been followed up with a big win or string of wins that makes it look like a fluke. I think a second loss in the same season to the same team and off-season to think about it might go a long way in teaching them to loss.

Yep, good points. I am VERY interested to see how this big showdown plays out. I've been drinking the Bizon koolaid for years, convinced they are THE team to beat every year. This was solidified after last year, just being in Frisco for that experience, and talking to a bunch of the NDSU fans and how they were explaining that it's just a crazy machine, dynasty, and with all the advantages they have that most schools don't, not to mention all the extra games and practices they get every year. They don't really turn it on until the playoffs and even then, seem to get better with each game... and are virtually unbeatable in Frisco.

All that said, when I step back and look at these two teams and the body of work this year... I really do think SDSU has the better team. I'll be pulling for the Jackrabbits like crazy. Please don't screw this one up SDSU.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:11 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:25 am

I've wondered this too. Alabama couldn't lose for a few years, then along came Clemson and Georgia (and a few flashes like Auburn, LSU, FSU). I can't tell if Alabama got a little worse or if those programs just got better. I tend to think water finds its level and those other programs have stepped up. When that happens, it becomes less of a no-brainer for a great recruit to head to Alabama, so maybe that does make them a little worse. Even with the increased parity in the FBS, I don't feel like Alabama has taken much of a step back. Same with NDSU...I think everybody has gotten better and they've stayed more level. Maybe we're noticing it more because the second-best program in the FCS is also in their conference. If JMU would have been in the MVFC, would NDSU have had a couple more losses over the years?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:10 pm

Yeah, it’s a grand scale version of “hitting’s contagious” for NDSU. they’re great, but a lot of it is due to the confidence they’ve gained. A team needs to make them question themselves a little. Need them to strike out on a bad pitch.

The UIW game may have them wondering. But it probably just makes them feel more destined.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber