McCaffrey Out at UNCU?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

McCaffrey Out at UNCU?

Post by coachouert » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:11 pm

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: McCaffrey Out at UNCU?

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:15 pm

Well that was quick. Just 2 full seasons, correct?

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:21 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:15 pm
Well that was quick. Just 2 full seasons, correct?
Yup, just two seasons. I guess like clipboards and tight pants, UNCU has a breaking point with underperforming.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:22 pm

Starting to think UNC should drop down a division.

Punters are people too!!

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:31 pm

I guess when 30 players enter the portal after your first season, followed by a poor second season even the administration at Northern Colorado have seen enough...

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:32 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:22 pm
They are pretty competitive in the other major sports. Maybe just drop football and focus on those.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:44 pm

kmax wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:32 pm
GoCats18 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:22 pm
They are pretty competitive in the other major sports. Maybe just drop football and focus on those.
Yes. Just football

Punters are people too!!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:46 pm

I hope UNC doesn't drop football, there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to build a decent program there. The lesson here is maybe it's not a good idea to hire a head coach with two years of coaching experience at the high school level, and whose idea of building a coaching staff involves hiring his equally unqualified son as offensive coordinator. How shocking that this didn't work out!

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:25 pm

They have a thread on their forum suggesting replacements. Included are:
Freddie Banks
Jed Stugart
Marty English
Max McCaffrey (I am not kidding)
Bob Stitt got a negative vote.

https://bigskyfans.com/uncbears/viewtop ... f=1&t=4588

Anybody have any suggestions for the little bears?

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:36 pm

Rich K wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:25 pm
They have a thread on their forum suggesting replacements. Included are:
Freddie Banks
Jed Stugart
Marty English
Max McCaffrey (I am not kidding)
Bob Stitt got a negative vote.

https://bigskyfans.com/uncbears/viewtop ... f=1&t=4588

Anybody have any suggestions for the little bears?
I wonder what UNCU is paying for a head coaching salary, as Freddie got a major raise going to CSU. He'd obviously be a great hire if he's interested in going back to FCS as a head coach.

Edit: McCaffrey had a base salary of $190K. Freddie would be taking a substantial pay cut to go there, I think. Norvell at CSU has a $3 million pool for assistant salaries.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:02 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:46 pm
I hope UNC doesn't drop football, there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to build a decent program there. The lesson here is maybe it's not a good idea to hire a head coach with two years of coaching experience at the high school level, and whose idea of building a coaching staff involves hiring his equally unqualified son as offensive coordinator. How shocking that this didn't work out!
I hope they do drop down or out, and Portland State as well. The conference is too crowded, and It would be good for every team to play against each other in the season IMO.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:34 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:02 pm
MSU01 wrote:
I hope they do drop down or out, and Portland State as well. The conference is too crowded, and It would be good for every team to play against each other in the season IMO.
Too many teams for sure. UNC might fit OK with the WAC. Get the WAC up to 9 or 10 & the Big Sky shrunk a little & we won't have to worry about having "co-champions" in football every year.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:24 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Be careful what you wish for, UNCU is a laughing stock in football but is a great Big Sky member in most other sports. Dumping them for being bad at football does not help the Big Sky overall.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:16 am

I thought McCaffrey's team gave us a better game than Bobby's team did.

damnyoutuesday
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by damnyoutuesday » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:23 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:24 pm
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Be careful what you wish for, UNCU is a laughing stock in football but is a great Big Sky member in most other sports. Dumping them for being bad at football does not help the Big Sky overall.
In the 3 major sports (FB, MBB, WBB), UNC has never made the FCS playoffs, and has 1 NCAA Tournament appearance each for the basketball teams.

I truly think UNC made a bad decision to jump from D2 to D1, and should consider dropping back down

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:04 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Well if you say so, it must be fact. Got it, thanks. :roll:

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:17 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:04 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Well if you say so, it must be fact. Got it, thanks. :roll:
If only my wife agreed with that statement!

It would be nice to have a league without this unbalanced schedule, I totally agree there. But I don't think booting out a full conference member for football-only reasons is the way to go about that. IMO, the two football-only members should go before anyone else if we're looking to decrease the number of teams.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:39 pm

How not to hire a head football coach:
https://www.denverpost.com/2022/11/23/n ... -decision/

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:01 pm

Rich K wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:39 pm
Whoa. That is scathing. You could see from the outside things were bad there but things were far worse than I imagined. What a horrendous hire.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:51 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:01 pm
Rich K wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:39 pm
Whoa. That is scathing. You could see from the outside things were bad there but things were far worse than I imagined. What a horrendous hire.
While I agree the article is scathing, I am not quite sure how much of it's true. The author is the UNC beat writer and I've never been real confident on how much she really understands athletics. I think she would be a better fit writing stories about the wonders of Earth Day.