OK, Who had the griz losing 3 in a Row?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: OK, Who had the griz losing 3 in a Row?

Post by Catsrgrood » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:39 pm

Regarding the griz getting in at 7-4, it depends on the situation.

In a vacuum and you look at record only? Of course the griz get in at 7-4, but what could throw a wrench in that is if UC Davis wins out and is also 7-4. Do they put 6 Big Sky teams in? If they put 5 in, how do they justify the griz over UCD?

The griz would have lost 4 of 6 and have zero top 25 wins.
UCD would be on a 6 game win streak and would have a likely top 5 win at the end of the season in this scenario(Sac St).

If UCD doesn’t win out, I think the griz are in at 7-4, no doubt. If they’re both 7-4 it’ll get real interesting.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:50 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:39 pm

In a vacuum and you look at record only? Of course the griz get in at 7-4, but what could throw a wrench in that is if UC Davis wins out and is also 7-4. Do they put 6 Big Sky teams in? If they put 5 in, how do they justify the griz over UCD?

UCD would be on a 6 game win streak and would have a likely top 5 win at the end of the season in this scenario(Sac St).

If UCD doesn’t win out, I think the griz are in at 7-4, no doubt. If they’re both 7-4 it’ll get real interesting.
I think its really tough for the committee to put in 6 BSC teams. So, yeah, if Davis has 2 wins against Top 10 teams in the last 3 weeks & 4 losses to Top5/FBS...yeah, Davis gets the nod & the committee has to decide if it lets in a 7-4 Gris team instead of an 8-3 or maybe even 9-2 Socon team.

I think Davis is good (probably better than the Gris) but I don't think they win 2 road games to finish the season.

So I think its probably pretty easy to let the Gris in UNLESS Davis pulls off the 2 upsets in a row.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:01 pm

I thought under Stitt they were getting in at I belive 7-4 and they didn't. There comes a point where that crowd doesn't matter. If they get in, they host. But it doesn't get them in.

They didn't lose to am FBS team or in a OOC game against a ranked team. 4 losses completely in conference looks bad.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:25 pm

lutecat wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:01 pm
I thought under Stitt they were getting in at I belive 7-4 and they didn't. There comes a point where that crowd doesn't matter. If they get in, they host. But it doesn't get them in.

They didn't lose to am FBS team or in a OOC game against a ranked team. 4 losses completely in conference looks bad.
2017. They were unranked the entire year though except for 2 weeks at #24. Losses to unranked Weber & MSU (Weber finished the season ranked, but was unranked when they played) and a loss to EWU who finished at #18. The whole BSC was really weak top to bottom that year.

I'm not sure that its a really good comparison to a QF from last year that loses 4x to seeded playoff teams by a total of 25 or so (3x on the road).

Mitigating factors for the Griz: All 4 losses to Top 10 (maybe Top 5) teams.
2 losses on the road; one by a controversial TD & one by 3 pts to the #2/#4 team in the country
Coming off a QF & #6 finish in 2021

Honestly, given those losses, the Griz could legitimately still claim to be a Top 10 team. The committee has let 6-5 Northern Iowa in several times with a similar loss profile (thought I think in all those years, UNI also had Top 10 wins...)

I think the BSC gets 5 teams. Only question is if #5 is Davis or UM.

Catprint
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Catprint » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:26 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:50 pm
Catsrgrood wrote:

I think its really tough for the committee to put in 6 BSC teams. So, yeah, if Davis has 2 wins against Top 10 teams in the last 3 weeks & 4 losses to Top5/FBS...yeah, Davis gets the nod & the committee has to decide if it lets in a 7-4 Gris team instead of an 8-3 or maybe even 9-2 Socon team.

I think Davis is good (probably better than the Gris) but I don't think they win 2 road games to finish the season.

So I think its probably pretty easy to let the Gris in UNLESS Davis pulls off the 2 upsets in a row.
By my count, there could be up to 30 teams with an 8-3 or better record. Plus that does not include 7-4 teams who have a FBS win vs the Gris with no FBS wins.

The committee does take into account First Round bids AFTER the selections are made. The committee does NOT take into account stadium bids BEFORE selecting who is in the bracket.

Davis is NOT going to win out. They have Idaho and Sac State. IF they did win out, then Idaho would be 7-4 and maybe the Gris. There is NO chance the Big Sky gets in three 7-4 teams.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:37 pm

Catprint wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:26 pm
onceacat wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:50 pm
Catsrgrood wrote:

By my count, there could be up to 30 teams with an 8-3 or better record. Plus that does not include 7-4 teams who have a FBS win vs the Gris with no FBS wins.

The committee does take into account First Round bids AFTER the selections are made. The committee does NOT take into account stadium bids BEFORE selecting who is in the bracket.

Davis is NOT going to win out. They have Idaho and Sac State. IF they did win out, then Idaho would be 7-4 and maybe the Gris. There is NO chance the Big Sky gets in three 7-4 teams.
I'm inclined to agree. But regardless, I think the Big Sky gets 5. If Davis wins out, its them & Idaho. If Davis doesn't, its the Griz.

Obviously depending on which other teams have 8-3 records. I'd bet cash money its not 30.

Its pretty common for 8-3 teams out of the NEC or Patriot to be left out of the playoffs.

mule
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by mule » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:47 am

Be a long shot if they go at 8 wins that's if they beat bobcats. Bobcats won't lose to them this year no matter what. So them going with seven wins and haven't beat a signature team isn't happening.

If they do make playoffs, it will be a plane ride somewhere and done.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:05 am

mule wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:47 am
Be a long shot if they go at 8 wins that's if they beat bobcats. Bobcats won't lose to them this year no matter what. So them going with seven wins and haven't beat a signature team isn't happening.

Any Big Sky team will get in at 8-3, while 7-4 will be on the bubble. There's also a near 100% chance that UM can outbid its first round opponent to get a first round home game.

aucat

Post by aucat » Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:25 am

Personally, I HATE close games. I would love a repeat of the 2019 48-14 blowout in Bozeman.

Utcatsfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Utcatsfan » Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:48 am

aucat wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:25 am
Personally, I HATE close games. I would love a repeat of the 2019 48-14 blowout in Bozeman.
If Brown plays and if their current OC is still there it probably would end up like that. Not trying to talk poorly about the kid but he just seems to not fit into the offensive system they have.

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:09 am

mule wrote:

I’ve watched too many Cat/griz games to think it is a foregone conclusion.

Throw the records out, this will be a dog fight. If they get some special teams/defensive scores it will be a nail biter into the 4th quarter.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:59 am

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:05 am
mule wrote:

Any Big Sky team will get in at 8-3, while 7-4 will be on the bubble. There's also a near 100% chance that UM can outbid its first round opponent to get a first round home game.
My point exactly. NCAA loves games with 25000 tickets sold.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:36 pm

Bocephus wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:09 am
mule wrote:

I’ve watched too many Cat/griz games to think it is a foregone conclusion.

Throw the records out, this will be a dog fight. If they get some special teams/defensive scores it will be a nail biter into the 4th quarter.
That's what I thought before the 2019 game... especially when it was announced that our best player wasn't playing.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

MTmadeCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MTmadeCat » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:56 pm

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:20 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:22 pm
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:09 pm
The Brawl is always a crapshoot. The Griz are a tough team with a tough D.

With that said, I think we're much faster and much more polished. If we take care of business going into the Brawl, we should be well prepared to beat them in Bozeman.

Regarding the Griz getting in at 7-4...I think they absolutely do. The conference always has a blind spot where UM is concerned. Plus...(and this drives me NUTS), but their stadium helps their case because it brings in more revenue than a 7,000 seat stadium elsewhere.
I have to disagree. The conference isn't deciding who gets in and who doesn't. The playoff committee is and they will care if the Griz are 7-4 with zero quality wins and 4 chances to beat top 25 teams with no wins. That's not a playoff team plain and simple. The media isn't making the field, the fans aren't making the field. Every 7-4 team in the CAA would have a better resume with at least 1 top 25 win. The committee doesn't care about the extra money for the NCAA off the ticket sales either.
I wasn't clear in my post--my bad--but by "the conference" I meant the FCS. That includes the committee. They all love the Griz (at least they always seem to).

With that said, everything you said about their record and their play against top 25 is absolutely correct. I just think the committee won't kick them off the bubble. I hope I'm wrong because I can't stand them.

And I've ALWAYS heard stadium revenue plays into 1st round game assignments BIG TIME. Hope I'm wrong about that also.
Plus, between the FCS seeing money signs coming from Missoula in a first round matchup, AND the fact that UM Athletic Director Haslam (I believe—correct me if I’m wrong) is the Big Sky rep on the playoff committee this year, hard to think UM wouldn’t get in at 7-4 unless say UC Davis wins out line someone mentioned on here. Let’s handle ‘em on the 19th and then let the committee decide their fate.

MTmadeCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MTmadeCat » Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:16 pm

MTmadeCat wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:56 pm
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:

With that said, I think we're much faster and much more polished. If we take care of business going into the Brawl, we should be well prepared to beat them in Bozeman.

Regarding the Griz getting in at 7-4...I think they absolutely do. The conference always has a blind spot where UM is concerned. Plus...(and this drives me NUTS), but their stadium helps their case because it brings in more revenue than a 7,000 seat stadium elsewhere.
I have to disagree. The conference isn't deciding who gets in and who doesn't. The playoff committee is and they will care if the Griz are 7-4 with zero quality wins and 4 chances to beat top 25 teams with no wins. That's not a playoff team plain and simple. The media isn't making the field, the fans aren't making the field. Every 7-4 team in the CAA would have a better resume with at least 1 top 25 win. The committee doesn't care about the extra money for the NCAA off the ticket sales either.
I wasn't clear in my post--my bad--but by "the conference" I meant the FCS. That includes the committee. They all love the Griz (at least they always seem to).

With that said, everything you said about their record and their play against top 25 is absolutely correct. I just think the committee won't kick them off the bubble. I hope I'm wrong because I can't stand them.

And I've ALWAYS heard stadium revenue plays into 1st round game assignments BIG TIME. Hope I'm wrong about that also.
Plus, between the FCS seeing money signs coming from Missoula in a first round matchup, AND the fact that UM Athletic Director Haslam (I believe—correct me if I’m wrong) is the Big Sky rep on the playoff committee this year, hard to think UM wouldn’t get in at 7-4 unless say UC Davis wins out line someone mentioned on here. Let’s handle ‘em on the 19th and then let the committee decide their fate.
I just found the tweet that Craig Haley put out before the season with the committee members, can’t figure out how to post the screenshot but here is the text:

2022 FCS Plavoff Committee
ASUN: Matt Roan-EKU
Big Sky: Kent Haslam-UM
Bg South: TBD
CAA: Shawn Heilbron-Stony Bk
MVFC: Matt Larsen-NDSU
NEC: Tom Pincince-CCSU
OVC: Tom Michael-EIU
Par: Jermaine Truax-Bucknell (chair)
PFL: TBD
SouthInd: Steve Moniaci-HBU
SoCon: Mark Wharton-UTC

Not that Haslam has any pull on getting UM in over anyone else, but I’m sure he’ll be a huge advocate for them when the committee is discussing the last several teams to squeak in.

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:55 pm

MTmadeCat wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:16 pm
MTmadeCat wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:

I just found the tweet that Craig Haley put out before the season with the committee members, can’t figure out how to post the screenshot but here is the text:

Not that Haslam has any pull on getting UM in over anyone else, but I’m sure he’ll be a huge advocate for them when the committee is discussing the last several teams to squeak in.
He’s not allowed to be in the room when they discuss his team.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

MTmadeCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MTmadeCat » Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:24 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:55 pm
MTmadeCat wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:16 pm
MTmadeCat wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:

He’s not allowed to be in the room when they discuss his team.
Good point. But I also wonder how those discussions go when you have several top teams from one conference being evaluated for seeding/positioning and they all have at least one or two wins (or losses) to one another. They would have to mention wins or losses vs ranked or ‘then ranked’ teams. Then I suppose for the griz it just goes back to “they beat everyone bad and lost to everyone good.”

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:44 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:59 am
MSU01 wrote:
mule wrote:

At 7-4 gris might get a home Turkey weekend game. IF so it's a 15 to 17 thousand gate.
No chance at anything close to 25k.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:48 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:44 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:59 am
MSU01 wrote:
mule wrote:

At 7-4 gris might get a home Turkey weekend game. IF so it's a 15 to 17 thousand gate.
No chance at anything close to 25k.
You are right, however, that'll still be the largest crowd for the FCS weekend.
I seem to remember something about ticket prices for playoff games can't be significantly lower than the regular season ticket prices, anybody remember something about that?

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:05 pm

I didn’t have them losing 3 straight but after Idaho, I did feel that they were in big trouble.

I’m actually more surprised that they played SAC and WEB so close on the road without Lucas Johnson. I feel pretty confident that they would have won both games with him.

No one is going to make me feel sorry for them. The Cats have been way undermanned and have persevered. Great teams do that. But nevertheless, don’t sleep on UM once they have their QB back. They’ll be better than their record.