NCAA President Mark Emmert steps down, effective June 2023

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

NCAA President Mark Emmert steps down, effective June 2023

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:15 pm

I read this yesterday and was expecting someone else would've posted it by now. Yea! I guess. Anyone here have a favorite candidate?
https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/4/26/med ... -2023.aspx

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: NCAA President Mark Emmert steps down, effective June 2023

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:20 am

My impression is that Emmert was just following the rules of the NCAA and anybody's frustration with him was just with the nature of collegiate athletics. Seems like it's the same with Roger Goodell and even with Mark Beckman with the MHSA. As athletes get more empowered and reach for equity in the windfalls of sports, there is more dissatisfaction with the governing bodies. The guy in charge is trying to follow the rules and ends up being the whipping boy for the rules in place. I can't imagine a new president will make a significant difference but I could be wrong.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Re: NCAA President Mark Emmert steps down, effective June 2023

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:28 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:20 am
My impression is that Emmert was just following the rules of the NCAA and anybody's frustration with him was just with the nature of collegiate athletics. Seems like it's the same with Roger Goodell and even with Mark Beckman with the MHSA. As athletes get more empowered and reach for equity in the windfalls of sports, there is more dissatisfaction with the governing bodies. The guy in charge is trying to follow the rules and ends up being the whipping boy for the rules in place. I can't imagine a new president will make a significant difference but I could be wrong.
Well said, I pretty much agree with you, hence the yea! I guess. Having said that Emmert has an air about him that tends to be off-putting. There were plenty of gaffs during his watch also.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!