UNCU Football a Bigger Mess than Thought

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

UNCU Football a Bigger Mess than Thought

Post by Rich K » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:11 pm

Check out this article
https://www.greeleytribune.com/2022/01/ ... cusations/
UNC is tied for the third-highest number of players in the NCAA Transfer Portal out of all FCS schools and leads the state in transfers with 28, many of whom declared their departures this week.

When McCaffrey was hired in December 2019, players were promised an incredible new opportunity under a Super Bowl champion. Instead, they allegedly experienced unchecked partiality, negligible communications and potential NCAA violations regarding financial aid.

These allegations came to light through statements and interviews provided by eight people who were part of the football program.

The sources represent a diverse group that includes graduating players, transfers, former players and former members of the athletic department. Some were recruited by former coach Earnest Collins, while others came to UNC under McCaffrey. They have been granted anonymity – and their names have been changed – due to concerns that their recruitment or final semester at the university would be negatively affected by speaking out.

“I wanted to take this call for incoming players to be able to see (what’s going on) and not say they haven’t heard about the program before coming,” said “Thomas,” an outgoing transfer who was recruited under McCaffrey. “I wish I knew how it was before I got here.”..... (more)

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: UNCU Football a Bigger Mess than Thought

Post by MSU01 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:22 pm

Yikes. I'm not sure who could've possibly seen this coming other than, well, everyone.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:33 pm

Rich K wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:11 pm
Check out this article
https://www.greeleytribune.com/2022/01/ ... cusations/
UNC is tied for the third-highest number of players in the NCAA Transfer Portal out of all FCS schools and leads the state in transfers with 28, many of whom declared their departures this week.

When McCaffrey was hired in December 2019, players were promised an incredible new opportunity under a Super Bowl champion. Instead, they allegedly experienced unchecked partiality, negligible communications and potential NCAA violations regarding financial aid.

These allegations came to light through statements and interviews provided by eight people who were part of the football program.

The sources represent a diverse group that includes graduating players, transfers, former players and former members of the athletic department. Some were recruited by former coach Earnest Collins, while others came to UNC under McCaffrey. They have been granted anonymity – and their names have been changed – due to concerns that their recruitment or final semester at the university would be negatively affected by speaking out.

“I wanted to take this call for incoming players to be able to see (what’s going on) and not say they haven’t heard about the program before coming,” said “Thomas,” an outgoing transfer who was recruited under McCaffrey. “I wish I knew how it was before I got here.”..... (more)
College Athletics forum

BStinsMSU
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BStinsMSU » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:44 pm

Yeah these are all pretty legitimate and likely accusations. If UNC is worth anything they’ll buck up and right the ship. If not… bye bye

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:13 pm

I heard that McCaffery doesn’t live in Greeley and doesn’t even come to school events other than football games.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:17 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:13 pm
I heard that McCaffery doesn’t live in Greeley and doesn’t even come to school events other than football games.
The article mentions that this is very much true about not just Ed but most of the coaching staff. Sounds like he just isn't willing to put in the time and effort to compete with the coaching staffs who do, and his name recognition advantage appears to have worn off in short order and then some.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:19 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:17 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:13 pm
The article mentions that this is very much true about not just Ed but most of the coaching staff. Sounds like he just isn't willing to put in the time and effort to compete with the coaching staffs who do, and his name recognition advantage appears to have worn off in short order and then some.
I can’t read the article because it’s behind a pay wall. I didn’t know the same applied to the assistant coaches. Sad situation for that school.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:22 pm

Here's a podcast from the Greeley area "The Hull Show" sports guy. He seems to take the tack that this is the new "nature of the beast" and we can probably see a lot of this kind of stuff with the transfer portal....

https://www.1310kfka.com/podcasts/the-h ... ball-hr-2/

This guy sounds like he's got a lot more experience then the Bears beat writer for the Greeley Tribune, who I never got the feeling that she didn't know much about what a college football experience looks like. I'll keep this guy on the radar as he mentioned he's going to try to dive deeper.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:23 am

Any players we could use???

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 am

They must be doing something right, they're not number one in the portal.

Good grief, if they have 28 and are #3 who the heck is ahead of them. Surely nothing to be proud of...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

RICO CAT

Post by RICO CAT » Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:35 am

A lot of this just sounds like whining to me. Players with a feeling of entitlement not getting what they want and feeling slighted. I guess you could say it’s the new age, instead of working harder to be a starter, you just look to go elsewhere. There have always been players looking to transfer for whatever reason as we are talking about flaky 18-22 year olds. Knowing a few high school coaches I’ve heard stories of helicopter-parents calling the athletic director complaining about coaches because of their son’s lack of playing time. Is there nepotism in the UNC program at the moment? Yes, and the coach’s son will always be the starting QB. No mater what kind of season Dylan McCaffrey has next year, he will get a free agent shot somewhere when dad calls some of his NFL coaching contacts. There are legacy players in every level of football.

“OVER THEM MOUNTAINS”

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:31 am

RICO CAT wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:35 am
A lot of this just sounds like whining to me. Players with a feeling of entitlement not getting what they want and feeling slighted. I guess you could say it’s the new age, instead of working harder to be a starter, you just look to go elsewhere. There have always been players looking to transfer for whatever reason as we are talking about flaky 18-22 year olds. Knowing a few high school coaches I’ve heard stories of helicopter-parents calling the athletic director complaining about coaches because of their son’s lack of playing time. Is there nepotism in the UNC program at the moment? Yes, and the coach’s son will always be the starting QB. No mater what kind of season Dylan McCaffrey has next year, he will get a free agent shot somewhere when dad calls some of his NFL coaching contacts. There are legacy players in every level of football.
You probably should read the story about unc. The complaints are real and aren't going to be fixed with this coach.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:14 am

RICO CAT wrote:
28 is a lot of whiners. Maybe it's something else? :-k

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:42 pm

Yowza. Quite an article. Well-written. On National Clipboard Day in Bozeman there seemed to be a few cracks in the foundation.

BStinsMSU

Post by BStinsMSU » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:04 pm

RICO CAT wrote:
Just weird everyone always wants to take the side of the well off coaching staff and not the college kids who are suffering due to their inept behavior. If this was just “college kid entitlement behavior” we probably would see it more often. Kids couldn’t even get their coach to talk to them, you don’t see that as an issue?

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:04 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:14 am
RICO CAT wrote:
28 is a lot of whiners. Maybe it's something else? :-k
I hope all the guys transferring get souvenir clipboards.

In all honesty, if the coaches kid takes a spot he hans't earned, thats going to cause a lot of bitterness. If my kid were on a team where the coach pulled that crap, I'd encourage him to leave too.

Add in the flakiness & unprofessional behavior of the coaching staff...

And losing by 40 to EWU, 30 to Weber, 30 to Davis, 33 to MSU...

Yeah, I'm a little shocked they can even fill out a roster. Let alone ONLY have 28 kids transferring out. Shows a lot of willingness to suffer on the part of the other 60 guys.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:40 pm

Along with 28 transfers (so far) the article said that with graduates included, UNC was losing 40% of their roster. :shock:

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:36 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:40 pm
Along with 28 transfers (so far) the article said that with graduates included, UNC was losing 40% of their roster. :shock:
That is 2000 Kramer numbers right there... Of course Kramer's departures were not exactly player decisions in some cases.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:53 pm

So it turns out this was a big nothing burger.

https://www.greeleytribune.com/2022/03/ ... iolations/
The firm found no instances of NCAA violations and presented its findings to the NCAA. The governing body determined no infractions took place and required no further investigation.
I still would love for UNCU to find a home in the WAC

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:37 am

Rich K wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:53 pm

I still would love for UNCU to find a home in the WAC
Why is that? UNC is bad at football but their athletic department as a whole is stronger than others, including SUU who IS leaving for the WAC. UNC seems to always field good basketball and volleyball teams and is pretty easy for teams to travel to being located in the Denver area.