UNCU Football a Bigger Mess than Thought

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: UNCU Football a Bigger Mess than Thought

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:02 am

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:37 am
Rich K wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:53 pm

I still would love for UNCU to find a home in the WAC
Why is that? UNC is bad at football but their athletic department as a whole is stronger than others, including SUU who IS leaving for the WAC. UNC seems to always field good basketball and volleyball teams and is pretty easy for teams to travel to being located in the Denver area.
I agree. As long as we're just wishing for something, I wish they'd just field a better football team. Seems to me that every other thing about UNCU is good for the BSC.

FYI
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FYI » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:49 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:02 am
MSU01 wrote:
Rich K wrote:

Why is that? UNC is bad at football but their athletic department as a whole is stronger than others, including SUU who IS leaving for the WAC. UNC seems to always field good basketball and volleyball teams and is pretty easy for teams to travel to being located in the Denver area.
I agree. As long as we're just wishing for something, I wish they'd just field a better football team. Seems to me that every other thing about UNCU is good for the BSC.
Historically UNC has had a fine football program, they just didn't bring it to the BSC. They won several Rocky Mt. Conference champions when they were conference mates with the Bobcats and Joe Glen won two NCAA DII National Championships before coming to the griz, then on to Wyoming.
I counted over 30 transfers on their 2021 roster, many from high powered programs. I recall thinking when I first saw all this...."this could result in an culture and ego clash of epic proportions". Don't know if that had any bearing on what happened. I looked at their coaching staff to see what their experience looks like. Some fresh out of high school coaching, but nothing overt. I wouldn't trade any of them, including the HC, with the Bobcat staff.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:46 am

FYI wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:49 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:02 am
MSU01 wrote:
Rich K wrote:

Historically UNC has had a fine football program, they just didn't bring it to the BSC. They won several Rocky Mt. Conference champions when they were conference mates with the Bobcats and Joe Glen won two NCAA DII National Championships before coming to the griz, then on to Wyoming.
I counted over 30 transfers on their 2021 roster, many from high powered programs. I recall thinking when I first saw all this...."this could result in an culture and ego clash of epic proportions". Don't know if that had any bearing on what happened. I looked at their coaching staff to see what their experience looks like. Some fresh out of high school coaching, but nothing overt. I wouldn't trade any of them, including the HC, with the Bobcat staff.
Yeah I remember those days. I also remember that NDSU moved to D-I like a year before UNCU and they've seen a little bit more success. Sometimes you just wonder if a school is right in its sweet spot at a certain level. I'm with you on their coaching staff--I was thinking the same thing when they got hired. I always wonder about that when a former pro athlete gets a job coaching college. And I don't mean any pro athlete, I mean the ones who maybe are used to a certain level of celebrity status. Deion Sanders, Herm Edwards, Jerry Glanville, and even Ed McCaffrey. Are they going to want to put in the grind of coaching, recruiting, fundraising, PR, keeping up with academics, etc? I'm not saying they can't do all that, but you put that level of responsibility and extra rules on people who have been treated like kings for a long time and you just wonder if they're going to think they're above the rules.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue May 31, 2022 2:50 pm

Having fun with UNCU football. Any other questions?

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue May 31, 2022 3:08 pm

Rich K wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 2:50 pm
Can we please just make it a thing and from here on out always call them Clipboard U?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:17 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 3:08 pm
Rich K wrote:
Can we please just make it a thing and from here on out always call them Clipboard U?
As in I will clipboard you if you raise your voice during football games?

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:11 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:17 pm
catatac wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 3:08 pm
Rich K wrote:
As in I will clipboard you if you raise your voice during football games?
Sorry, but years ago I got called out by one of their posters on this board for not putting the u in the right place. Ever since then I have referred to them as uncut. I'm gonna keep that.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic