Jerome Souers to MSU-N?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RangeRider
BobcatNation Redshirt

Jerome Souers to MSU-N?

Post by RangeRider » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:27 am

Per a tweet from the Havre Daily News last night, Jerome Souers, formerly of NAU, is interviewing for the head FB coach of the Skylights. Interesing spot to land...

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Re: Jerome Souers to MSU-N?r

Post by Rich K » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:27 am

Interesting path for Souers. I was under the impression that he was retiring when he left Northern Arizona but he has most recently been the defensive coordinator at Southern Oregon. The Skylights definitely need a big change if they are to turn things around and he just might be the guy. I am real surprised that Souers is even interested in the job.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Jerome Souers to MSU-N?

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:35 pm

He worked in Montana for quite awhile — might be interested in finding a path back.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:31 pm

Wow - MSUN seems like a really really tough place to build a program. Best of luck to him if he goes there, would be a great hire if they can pull it off!

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:26 pm

Introduced as the new coach today. Wow

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:29 pm

Excellent for them. I’m still betting on family or some other connection for him. And maybe he just wants to be closer to his team, actually coach more football, than he could at an FCS school. I wish him all the good fortune (and polar fleece) in the world!!

UPDATE:

Here’s a link I just found to the Havre Daily News:

https://www.havredailynews.com/story/2 ... 36905.html

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:48 pm

catgrad05 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:26 pm
Introduced as the new coach today. Wow
I'm seeing that he was introduced as the newest candidate for the position. Where did you see that he was offered?

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:03 pm

He has some help up there from Chinook.
https://406mtsports.com/college/frontie ... a671f.html

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

HiLineCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by HiLineCat » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:19 pm

And by the way - it's the Northern Lights. The Skylights are the women's teams.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:53 am

This is so interesting. I just can't wrap my head around why a coach with his credentials would take a job like this. No disrespect to Northern or to Havre, but it just goes against everything that I think I know about coaches. I mean I get it if you want to take a job at a small school in San Diego or Scottsdale, but Havre isn't exactly a retirement destination.

So here's a hot take and a possibility I just can't shake. Did Hauck talk him into taking that job and becoming a feeder program for um? With the portal and some teams wanting to build with more transfers than high school kids, does Hauck want kids to go there and bulk up, mature, and get a little more experience before transferring to him? If the griz send 5 HS guys there a year, that gives them 5 spots to fill with transfers that can help right away. Then those guys who would've been redshirting and sitting on the bench anyway get some game experience and more time in the weight room and at the cafeteria and they're further along than the guys who did nothing but practice in Missoula for 2-3 years.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:35 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:53 am
This is so interesting. I just can't wrap my head around why a coach with his credentials would take a job like this. No disrespect to Northern or to Havre, but it just goes against everything that I think I know about coaches. I mean I get it if you want to take a job at a small school in San Diego or Scottsdale, but Havre isn't exactly a retirement destination.

So here's a hot take and a possibility I just can't shake. Did Hauck talk him into taking that job and becoming a feeder program for um? With the portal and some teams wanting to build with more transfers than high school kids, does Hauck want kids to go there and bulk up, mature, and get a little more experience before transferring to him? If the griz send 5 HS guys there a year, that gives them 5 spots to fill with transfers that can help right away. Then those guys who would've been redshirting and sitting on the bench anyway get some game experience and more time in the weight room and at the cafeteria and they're further along than the guys who did nothing but practice in Missoula for 2-3 years.
No. How many Frontier to Big Sky transfers can you remember? Bobby Hauck might like the idea but good luck convincing kids to go to Havre for two years on the chance that UM MIGHT be interested later on.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:24 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:35 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:53 am

No. How many Frontier to Big Sky transfers can you remember? Bobby Hauck might like the idea but good luck convincing kids to go to Havre for two years on the chance that UM MIGHT be interested later on.
It's a longshot, I know. And yes, current Frontier players aren't candidates for FCS generally, but if they go there with the intention of being groomed for an FCS spot, it would make sense. Might be too big of a risk and might not work, but it seems like something like that COULD work. You take your PWO kids and get them a scholarship somewhere else. Get them trained up under a guy who clearly knows what he's doing. Some of us have talked about the possibility of struggling FCS programs getting partially funded by big programs like Texas just so they can be feeders. I wouldn't be surprised if FCS programs started picking smaller programs to be their feeders. College football is changing, and I think we're going to see some weird stuff happen in the next few years. Some of it will work, some won't.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:25 pm

Going from Flagstaff to Havre would be like leaving Heaven for hell. Yikes

If your left, you aren’t right.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:25 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:25 pm
You know what, that is Coach Souer’s decision not ours. And … he is in Ashland, Oregon, not Flagstaff.
Last edited by imacat on Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:36 pm

imacat wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:25 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
You know what, that is Coach Souer’s decision not ours. And … he is Ashland, Oregon, not Flagstaff.
Hey wait up, Ashland has a Shakespeare Festival every year :) :)

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:01 pm

RickRund wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:36 pm
imacat wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:25 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
You know what, that is Coach Souer’s decision not ours. And … he is Ashland, Oregon, not Flagstaff.
Hey wait up, Ashland has a Shakespeare Festival every year :) :)
I believe Havre has Shakespeare in the Park!

BStinsMSU

Post by BStinsMSU » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:50 pm

Good for Northern. Brand new stadium. Brand new AD I believe Hope they can start to at least hold their own.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:49 pm

BStinsMSU wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:50 pm
Good for Northern. Brand new stadium. Brand new AD I believe Hope they can start to at least hold their own.
Had no idea their record in the Frontier was so dismal.

msubobcats@outlook.com

BStinsMSU

Post by BStinsMSU » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:53 pm

RickRund wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:49 pm
BStinsMSU wrote:
My grandma cheers and calls me on the phone every time she hears on the radio that they win a game. Grandma doesn’t call all that often :lol: :lol:

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:01 pm

BStinsMSU wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:53 pm
RickRund wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:49 pm
BStinsMSU wrote:
My grandma cheers and calls me on the phone every time she hears on the radio that they win a game. Grandma doesn’t call all that often :lol: :lol:
At least they have Shakespeare :)

msubobcats@outlook.com