JMU Vs UM Friday Night

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: JMU Vs UM Friday Night

Post by iaafan » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:56 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:18 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:51 pm
iaafan wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:45 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:01 pm
iaafan wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:11 am
MSU01 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:57 am
ibleedblue wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:43 pm
What’s funny is all the posters saying JMU kicks their ass are the same posters who said EWU would do the same the week prior.

JMU is favored to win and should do so at home but it won’t be a blowout. I won’t be surprised to see a Griz win as they seem to be peaking.
Agreed, with how well the Gris' special teams and defensive units are playing right now it won't be a blowout unless their offense is a total disaster and gives away a bunch of turnovers or something. I think JMU wins by one or two scores but won't be surprised one bit if it goes the other way.
What’s even funnier is people thinking um is going to keep scoring 20-25 points off D and ST plays every week just because they did it twice in a row. Luck always runs out.
With all due respect, it’s hard to have a lot of faith in your predictions. Here are some of your recent ones that weren’t close, including their stadium crowd. I’m assuming you just hate the Gris that much and that’s okay, but it’s definitely affecting your best guesses or predictions:

“They have a huge advantage for home playoff games with the crowd, but there won't be as many people there on Friday night. A lot of people stay away from night games because they don't want to get a motel. It'll be loud and it's an advantage, but EWU is a conference team and they've seen it. If it was UNI, it'd be all over. EWU is still a very good offense. MSU and WSU did a good job against them, and I hear a lot of people saying UNI did, too, but if you watch that game EWU left a lot of points on the field. They could've just as easily won 36-9. At home with a lot of crowd noise I expect UM to hold EWU down.
Final: EWU 27, UM 10”

“EWU will pick up right where they left off. Once they figured out UM's defense, they blew them out. Unless UM's doing something a lot different, I don't see EWU scoring under 40.

EWU 45
UM 24”
Well, EWU scored 41, so not far off. I said I don't see them scoring under 40 and that was correct. My mistake was not foreseeing UM scoring a bunch of points off STs and defense. I thought my rationale for a small crowd was reasonable. Thinking was that people wouldn't travel for a Friday night game. That's understandable, right? Couple that with UM only drawing 16,000 last year for a first-round game.

I don't think UM will score or set up scores like they have been the past two weeks. I mean that's reasonable, right? It's bound to end at some point. If they don't get that they don't win. The MSU game would've been close and could've gone either was without it, but I don't think they beat EWU without the ST stuff. It's how they're winning, and I don't think it's gonna continue this week on the road vs a perennial power.
I agree with you and I don't.

The Gris need special teams to be elite to win games. Their defense is awesome and their offense mediocre. That has been the story all season long. If they score on special teams or even get great field position because of special teams I think they win this game.

Where we disagree is whether or not this special teams play has to stop at some point. I don't look at special teams that way. I look at that unit like I do offense and defense. I don't think it's just a given that a great offense just has to eventually stop scoring points. I don't think an elite defense like the Cats is just destined to give up a ton of points. And I don't see any reason an elite unit like the Gris have coached by one of the best can't keep it going. It's not like their special teams plays are lucky. They are coached up and prepared to make those plays, just like all of the guys on offense and defense.

I don't see any reason to think the Gris special teams can't either score tomorrow night or give their offense the ball in great scoring position. If they do that I think they win. If that unit fails to do that tomorrow, for the first time in a long time; I think they lose.
I think that is a very fair assessment and that is how I look at it as well. Special-teams is a huge part of the game but often overlooked.
I agree that special teams are a big part of the game, but they’re not as dependable as O and D.

Mostly I love how everyone is now spelling Griz G-r-i-s! \:D/

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:08 pm

Robby Hauck gets ejected in the 2nd quarter for helmet to helmet contact.

Punters are people too!!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:20 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:08 pm
Robby Hauck gets ejected in the 2nd quarter for helmet to helmet contact.
Nope, Nope. Nope. Will never happen.

First quarter he gets ejected for targeting on a late hit out of bounds on a player on the ground.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:26 pm

JMU-UM drinking game. Take a shot (your choice) every time Robby Hauck makes a tackle after the player is on the ground.

Punters are people too!!

Grizlaw

Post by Grizlaw » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:49 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:31 pm
What’s funny is that if UW beats UM like they should have, SUU makes that field goal, and the Cats actually show up to play……UM might not even be in the playoffs.
What if football had never been invented? Would we even have playoffs?

I work as an attorney so that I can afford good scotch, which helps me to forget that I work as an attorney.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:19 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:26 pm
JMU-UM drinking game. Take a shot (your choice) every time Robby Hauck makes a tackle after the player is on the ground.
No freaking way. I'd go to jail or the morgue.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:09 am

I am surprised that UM can afford to have a semi truck drive from Missoula to Virginia, yet had to start a GoFundMe to pay for their band to travel to Bozeman.

Punters are people too!!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:29 am

And that’s why it’s a head-scratcher to me that we don’t have a special teams coordinator. It’s an area where the ‘Cats as configured could get better.

Pecos24
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Pecos24 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:18 am

GoCats18 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:26 pm
Yeah I don’t think I’m ready to die just yet.

Bill Zander
CS '93
AKA - "F'n sorry ass"

09griz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 09griz » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:21 am

The way both teams defenses are playing this might be the best odds we've ever had for a cat griz title game.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:30 am

GoCats18 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:09 am
I am surprised that UM can afford to have a semi truck drive from Missoula to Virginia, yet had to start a GoFundMe to pay for their band to travel to Bozeman.
All the players rode in the back. Cheaper than airfare.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:37 am

ibleedblue wrote:
What’s funny is all the posters saying JMU kicks their ass are the same posters who said EWU would do the same the week prior.

JMU is favored to win and should do so at home but it won’t be a blowout. I won’t be surprised to see a Griz win as they seem to be peaking.
I never said EWU would kick the Grisslies ass, so it’s not “all the posters.”

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:39 am

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:57 am
ibleedblue wrote:

Agreed, with how well the Gris' special teams and defensive units are playing right now it won't be a blowout unless their offense is a total disaster and gives away a bunch of turnovers or something. I think JMU wins by one or two scores but won't be surprised one bit if it goes the other way.
The Grissly defense gave up over 600 yards to EWU. That isn’t playing well, that’s getting clobbered.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:33 pm

ibleedblue wrote:

With all due respect, it’s hard to have a lot of faith in your predictions. Here are some of your recent ones that weren’t close, including their stadium crowd. I’m assuming you just hate the Gris that much and that’s okay, but it’s definitely affecting your best guesses or predictions:

“They have a huge advantage for home playoff games with the crowd, but there won't be as many people there on Friday night. A lot of people stay away from night games because they don't want to get a motel. It'll be loud and it's an advantage, but EWU is a conference team and they've seen it. If it was UNI, it'd be all over. EWU is still a very good offense. MSU and WSU did a good job against them, and I hear a lot of people saying UNI did, too, but if you watch that game EWU left a lot of points on the field. They could've just as easily won 36-9. At home with a lot of crowd noise I expect UM to hold EWU down.

“EWU will pick up right where they left off. Once they figured out UM's defense, they blew them out. Unless UM's doing something a lot different, I don't see EWU scoring under 40.

EWU 45
UM 24”
Spoken just like someone suffering from color blindness.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:51 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:33 pm
ibleedblue wrote:

EWU 45
UM 24”
Spoken just like someone suffering from color blindness.
I’m not a Griz fan, thank you. I started my college career there and then graduated MSU. My wife’s side has some connections with UM and their coach though so I have a little more respect for them than probably most.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:45 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:49 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:45 pm
lol =D^

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:38 pm

UM just announced it is replacing the turf in the endzone for next season. One end will still say Montana, the other will say Grisslies.

Punters are people too!!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:51 pm

PapaG wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:37 am
ibleedblue wrote:

I never said EWU would kick the Grisslies ass, so it’s not “all the posters.”
In real life you can get all the predictions wrong and be off by a mile and the planet doesn’t even slow down. It’s pretty cool to see in person.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

justafan

Post by justafan » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:38 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:09 am
I think the trucking company does it for free.