FBS level football has been destroyed

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: FBS level football has been destroyed

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:04 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:54 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:44 pm
I agree things will change. The part I took issue with is that "players at all levels of football have already been getting paid for a very long time". I don't believe thats true for the FCS level and below.
Way back when; I was talking with a college administration person and there was speculation that the Marshall FCS teams of the 90s were helping out some of the student athletes. :-$
I'm sure its happened with an FCS player here and there. I could see a Randy Moss getting an under-the-table kickback from a Marshall booster to lure him there, something like that. I just think its a very rare occurrence at the FCS and lower levels.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:05 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:02 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:54 am
Players have been getting paid at all levels of football for a very long time. Now that it is somewhat more legal, people complain. I don’t get it.
FBS, sure. At the FCS level? I highly doubt that. 90+% of FCS schools can barely afford a football program, with low-paid coaches and high-school level stadiums, let alone pay their players under the table.
Do you have any evidence to back up your claim?
Nothing other than verbal evidence from former players at various levels of play, that I’m not going to share.

It’s never from the school. It’s from boosters or the like.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:12 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:05 pm
91catAlum wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Players have been getting paid at all levels of football for a very long time. Now that it is somewhat more legal, people complain. I don’t get it.
FBS, sure. At the FCS level? I highly doubt that. 90+% of FCS schools can barely afford a football program, with low-paid coaches and high-school level stadiums, let alone pay their players under the table.
Nothing other than verbal evidence from former players at various levels of play, that I’m not going to share.

I could see money coming from boosters to a few big-time talents. I just don't believe its very prevalent at our level and below, as far as direct monetary payments to players.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:15 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:12 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

I could see money coming from boosters to a few big-time talents. I just don't believe its very prevalent at our level and below, as far as direct monetary payments to players.
You’d be surprised. I know I was for some of the schools (the one in Helena for sure). But it’s not just a few big schools, no offense, but that’s naive.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:29 pm

NOCOcat2005 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:12 pm
This is why your wrong, at the end of the day only 11 players play on offense and 11 players play on defense. Not to mention rosters arn't expanding with NIL, so really there isn't more spots to be filled. If teams like Texas get their starters paid for all that really does effect is their top 22 players at any one moment. I was honestly really worried about NIL until i thought about it more. Not to mention, think about the Denver Broncos or the Seattle Seahawks, how many players do you see from those teams on commercials or getting paid for likeness, hardly any. Sure are some players going to benefit from this, of course, and honestly they should have been from the beginning. The power 5 will continue to recruit well and so will the CATS, just in a different manner.
Let's say you are Texas. Could you now fund Podunk eastern Washington, where players also get paid, like the minor leagues. Can you stuff that program with players that can enter the portal when needed?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:03 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:15 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:12 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

You’d be surprised. I know I was for some of the schools (the one in Helena for sure). But it’s not just a few big schools, no offense, but that’s naive.
Perhaps it is naive, but I've never seen evidence of it. Yes I've also heard or read the stories of some Carroll players getting handed $50 after a game from a booster, that type of thing. It was probably on this website where I read it, honestly don't remember. But I've never met a player who knew anything about that (or admitted it anyway), in fact I work with a guy who started for 2 of the natty teams (02 and 03 I believe) and he says he doubts it happened.
Maybe it did and they'll just never tell. But its just hard to believe that stuff, especially at the Frontier level.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:40 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:54 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:44 pm
I agree things will change. The part I took issue with is that "players at all levels of football have already been getting paid for a very long time". I don't believe thats true for the FCS level and below.
Way back when; I was talking with a college administration person and there was speculation that the Marshall FCS teams of the 90s were helping out some of the student athletes. :-$
Did that administrator happen to work for the griz? :wink:

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:28 pm

allcat wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:29 pm
NOCOcat2005 wrote:
This is why your wrong, at the end of the day only 11 players play on offense and 11 players play on defense. Not to mention rosters arn't expanding with NIL, so really there isn't more spots to be filled. If teams like Texas get their starters paid for all that really does effect is their top 22 players at any one moment. I was honestly really worried about NIL until i thought about it more. Not to mention, think about the Denver Broncos or the Seattle Seahawks, how many players do you see from those teams on commercials or getting paid for likeness, hardly any. Sure are some players going to benefit from this, of course, and honestly they should have been from the beginning. The power 5 will continue to recruit well and so will the CATS, just in a different manner.
Let's say you are Texas. Could you now fund Podunk eastern Washington, where players also get paid, like the minor leagues. Can you stuff that program with players that can enter the portal when needed?
Absolutely things could play out this way. Pandora's box has been opened and it doesn't look like there are a lot of rules\regulations put in place. You take a program like Texas that probably literally has millions of millionaires backing them would have zero reservations about throwing money into a program to guarantee a national title? I was even thinking about what someone posted above in terms of players coming to TX, getting their $50,000 - and then leaving for a different program. I could see these boosters structuring things like what coaches get... bonuses for # of games started, bonuses for beating rivals, bonuses for winning conference titles, and huge bonuses for sticking around and winning national titles. Just seems to me like this could lead to some serious culture issues, conflicts, etc. between coaches, admin, boosters, etc.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:18 pm

Bobcat Sig wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:13 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:10 pm
The playing field is already uneven. The top 15 programs in both the FBS and FCS are generally the same because those programs have the most financial support. Now the players get some of that support directly into their bank accounts and not just as in-kind gifts like scholarships, housing and food.
Yup, and further, those same players now get a slice of the money generated from the use of the name, image, and likeness. Just how it should be.

To think that FBS football was somehow balanced or fair before the NIL came along is foolish. Look at the teams consistently at the top of the heap during the BCS and again now, during the CFP. They are the same because they have the money, the boosters, and the success to sustain elite programs. Now, the players finally get a taste of all that money... and good for them. They deserve it.
Then why was Alabama terrible for Years. Why is Florida, Texas, Miami and Florida State all awful now? It has never been consistent. This year we have Cincinnati and Michigan. Cincinnati doesn't meet the high dollar profile and Michigan was been average for years. So this (paying players) does create a new problem. Having the best coaches and/or facilities no longer matters. Who can pay the most does.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:47 pm

gtapp wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:18 pm
Bobcat Sig wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
The playing field is already uneven. The top 15 programs in both the FBS and FCS are generally the same because those programs have the most financial support. Now the players get some of that support directly into their bank accounts and not just as in-kind gifts like scholarships, housing and food.
Yup, and further, those same players now get a slice of the money generated from the use of the name, image, and likeness. Just how it should be.

To think that FBS football was somehow balanced or fair before the NIL came along is foolish. Look at the teams consistently at the top of the heap during the BCS and again now, during the CFP. They are the same because they have the money, the boosters, and the success to sustain elite programs. Now, the players finally get a taste of all that money... and good for them. They deserve it.
Then why was Alabama terrible for Years. Why is Florida, Texas, Miami and Florida State all awful now? It has never been consistent. This year we have Cincinnati and Michigan. Cincinnati doesn't meet the high dollar profile and Michigan was been average for years. So this (paying players) does create a new problem. Having the best coaches and/or facilities no longer matters. Who can pay the most does.
Oh please.

Alabama is good because they have the best coach in college football and pour unreal amounts of money into their coaching staff, and facilities. Same with Georgia. Michigan, pays Harbaugh 8 million a year. They’re not exactly being cheap. Miami just threw a whole lot of money into the pot to improve their team. The NIL will change things a lot less than you think, and all for the betterment of the players.

Parity. Bah. There hasn’t been real parity in college football in a long time.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:02 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:28 pm
allcat wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:29 pm
NOCOcat2005 wrote:
Absolutely things could play out this way. Pandora's box has been opened and it doesn't look like there are a lot of rules\regulations put in place. You take a program like Texas that probably literally has millions of millionaires backing them would have zero reservations about throwing money into a program to guarantee a national title? I was even thinking about what someone posted above in terms of players coming to TX, getting their $50,000 - and then leaving for a different program. I could see these boosters structuring things like what coaches get... bonuses for # of games started, bonuses for beating rivals, bonuses for winning conference titles, and huge bonuses for sticking around and winning national titles. Just seems to me like this could lead to some serious culture issues, conflicts, etc. between coaches, admin, boosters, etc.
Heres what makes it worse: The Texas linemen are getting paid through a non-profit...which means the boosters (or the single booster thats funding this) is writing off a $1m donation on his taxes.

Ugh.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:31 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:47 pm
gtapp wrote:
Bobcat Sig wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Oh please.

Alabama is good because they have the best coach in college football and pour unreal amounts of money into their coaching staff, and facilities. Same with Georgia. Michigan, pays Harbaugh 8 million a year. They’re not exactly being cheap. Miami just threw a whole lot of money into the pot to improve their team. The NIL will change things a lot less than you think, and all for the betterment of the players.

You’re no doubt correct in the money that big time programs already put towards athletics. But as I said there was still parity. Because exactly what you pointed out.

Who has the most money in college football? Texas. How about 2nd most? Texas Tech. When was the last time these schools won it all? Not in decades. How about Michigan? They spend boatloads and I couldn’t tell you the time that won. So it’s not like money is buying championships. And now I feel like it’s a possibility that money could begin buying championships. That’s all I was saying.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:27 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:31 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:47 pm
gtapp wrote:
Bobcat Sig wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Oh please.

You’re no doubt correct in the money that big time programs already put towards athletics. But as I said there was still parity. Because exactly what you pointed out.

Who has the most money in college football? Texas. How about 2nd most? Texas Tech. When was the last time these schools won it all? Not in decades. How about Michigan? They spend boatloads and I couldn’t tell you the time that won. So it’s not like money is buying championships. And now I feel like it’s a possibility that money could begin buying championships. That’s all I was saying.
If you are a player and you can play at 4-7 Texas for $100k NIL or 'Bama for $50k, do you think the delta matters? Say that Vaderbilt starts offering $200k...are they going to compete for players with 'Bama? Take it a step further...say a G5 grad became an ultra billionaire & decided to put his or her fortune towards buying a championship for New Mexico State or UConn or UMass?

Anyway, I think its hard to argue that parity exists anymore...and its also hard to argue that the top tier of the power 5 is anything other than a farm system for the NFL...and that even though some of us think that if schools/NCAA/Coaches/admins make hundreds of millions off players NIL, then the players ought to make money too...

Yeah, its easy to see how all that could combine in really bad ways for college football.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:16 am

I think all of you are overstating how much money people are going to want to give out to players who have done nothing for their school/team yet.

Look at Quinn Ewers. He got a million in NIL money. Now he’s transferring after less than a year. People will only make that mistake once or twice. Even billionaires like to see a return on investment.

And if Bama wants a player, they’re paying more than $50k. Lol. Cam Newton’s dad wanted a few hundred k, and that was over a decade ago.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:15 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:16 am
I think all of you are overstating how much money people are going to want to give out to players who have done nothing for their school/team yet.

Look at Quinn Ewers. He got a million in NIL money. Now he’s transferring after less than a year. People will only make that mistake once or twice. Even billionaires like to see a return on investment.

And if Bama wants a player, they’re paying more than $50k. Lol. Cam Newton’s dad wanted a few hundred k, and that was over a decade ago.
Just devils advocate guy. Did you think last year that this time this year a school would be paying their linemen 50k each? Do you not think that number could increase exponentially?

I’m not all knowing like some like to act on this board. I’ll just sit back and watch the show but I certainly won’t be surprised if the money increases a bunch. Why wouldn’t it?

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:07 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:15 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

Just devils advocate guy. Did you think last year that this time this year a school would be paying their linemen 50k each? Do you not think that number could increase exponentially?

I’m not all knowing like some like to act on this board. I’ll just sit back and watch the show but I certainly won’t be surprised if the money increases a bunch. Why wouldn’t it?
I think the money stops increasing because at some point, there is a decreasing ROI. Nobody wants to just throw money away.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:16 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:07 am
ilovethecats wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

I think the money stops increasing because at some point, there is a decreasing ROI. Nobody wants to just throw money away.
But if it wins championships I don’t think those people will consider it throwing money away.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:17 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:16 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

But if it wins championships I don’t think those people will consider it throwing money away.
Only one team gets to win a championship.

Even the ultra rich don’t like to just throw away their money. They want returns. That’s kinda how they got that much money in the first place.

But let’s be real, some of you are acting like there was parity before the NIL stuff happened. Couldn’t be further from the truth. Sure, teams cycle. Nebraska, Miami, Texas, USC, used to be elite. Now it’s Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State. Every now and then a team like Cincinnati might slip in because of a good senior QB, but let’s be honest, it’s an outlier. You have to go all the way back to 1990 for a non-major college football team to have won a championship. And that’s parity?

Oregon has tossed more money into facilities, uniforms, etc, etc, etc, than anybody, and have they won a championship because of it? Nope. So players getting money, it won’t change that much. And if it does, who cares? If you’re a G5 school you still have almost no shot at making the playoffs. College football is already about being in a top conference and being a top school. The NIL doesn’t change much.

And really, the coaches are getting millions of dollars a year. The schools are getting hundreds of millions of dollars a year. If a player gets $50k, or more, you won’t find me complaining about it. If you don’t like it, the best thing to do is just not watch it.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:56 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:17 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:16 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

Only one team gets to win a championship.

Even the ultra rich don’t like to just throw away their money. They want returns. That’s kinda how they got that much money in the first place.

But let’s be real, some of you are acting like there was parity before the NIL stuff happened. Couldn’t be further from the truth. Sure, teams cycle. Nebraska, Miami, Texas, USC, used to be elite. Now it’s Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State. Every now and then a team like Cincinnati might slip in because of a good senior QB, but let’s be honest, it’s an outlier. You have to go all the way back to 1990 for a non-major college football team to have won a championship. And that’s parity?

Oregon has tossed more money into facilities, uniforms, etc, etc, etc, than anybody, and have they won a championship because of it? Nope. So players getting money, it won’t change that much. And if it does, who cares? If you’re a G5 school you still have almost no shot at making the playoffs. College football is already about being in a top conference and being a top school. The NIL doesn’t change much.

And really, the coaches are getting millions of dollars a year. The schools are getting hundreds of millions of dollars a year. If a player gets $50k, or more, you won’t find me complaining about it. If you don’t like it, the best thing to do is just not watch it.
Agree with all of that. I think the lack of a playoff & solid teams like BYU playing meaningless bowl games against 6-5 cupcakes in an empty stadium in a meaningless bowl game has already ruined FBS system. The lack of parity just doubles down on the stupidest post season in all sports.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:04 am

The #1 recruit in the nation is going to the FCS to play for Deion Sanders.

Parity!