UM vs. EWU Predictions

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

weirdolocalthatlikesbozonow
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: UM vs. EWU Predictions

Post by weirdolocalthatlikesbozonow » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:57 am

I'm not going to pretend of know much about analyzing football, but I get the feeling UM will have a close but sound win over an EWU team that has had some issues since losing to Weber. And then get curb stomped by either JMU or NDSU.

I'll definitely be rooting for the Eagles though.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:05 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:54 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:31 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:41 am

I think if they feel they let the last one slip away, then they're in trouble. I think they got outcoached. EWU made the adjustments and UM couldn't counter. Almost all coaches have that 'oncoming traffic' 'using things to his advantage' ability, so that's a wash. EWU may talk trash, but they also have a lot of motivation due to feeling slighted by the committee, so that's also a wash. Unlike a lot of MSU's coaches in their first go-round at WGS, Best and his coaches have a lot of experience playing there, which decreases the homefield advantage.
I disagree with most of this. Although it’s all speculation so it’s not like I think you’re obviously wrong.

If UM was outcoached so bad the first time, I think they should feel even better. They were literally a ball off the fingertips from winning their last matchup. Despite their stout D giving up a lot of points and a ton of yards to receivers.

I completely disagree with your take on Hauck and what he gets out of players. He is brilliant when it comes to motivating his guys. Some coaches have that, many coaches don’t. This isn’t to say there aren’t great coaches out there who aren’t like Hauck, because obviously there are. But I know enough former players of his as well as a couple coaches who rave about the guy and his ability to use anything and everything to get his guys ready. I simply don’t think all players from all teams in college feel about their head coaches like the majority of griz players feel about Hauck. At least from what I’ve seen and been told.

I agree that things like trash talk and being snubbed for a seed are all extra stuff. But again, knowing what I know about Hauck, I cringe when I hear opposing players running their mouths before facing one of his teams. Perhaps I’m giving him too much credit here?

And while any experience in Washington-Griz is helpful, I will still never discredit their home field advantage. This isn’t to suggest they can’t lose there as obviously they have. But that place will be rocking Friday night. I saw it first hand last Saturday, and if the griz get momentum early and keep the fans in it, it will be a long night for the Eags.

Now I’m pissed at you because you just made me take 5 minutes out of my day to talk up Hauck and the griz. :sick:
I've heard the same about Hauck from former players... that say he can be a total dick, but that he does know how to motivate players. I wonder how he effed that up so bad in Bozeman in 2019.
Momentum and emotion play a big part of the rivalry game. In 2019, the griz fumbled on the first play of the game which got the crowd into the game more and got the Bobcats smelling blood, especially after we punched in the TD to take the early lead. Also probably caused a bit of a loss in confidence for the griz.
That early turnover fired up the MSU defense and the crowd noise even more, which turned the whole game. The "scary" griz offense didn't even get a first down until their 4th possession when the score was already 17-0.

Same kind of thing happened 2 weeks ago. Griz hit a big TD on the 2nd play of the game. It gave their team more fire and confidence and got their crowd into the game even more, and its really difficult for the visiting team to fight their way out of that.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:49 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:06 pm
This is a game tailor made for a Bobby Hauck coached team. They already have to feel like they let the last one slip away. Throw in the trash talk by EWU players. Get a game Friday night in front of a packed home crowd.

Obviously football is a game of matchups. All the other stuff is extra. But Hauck has kids that will run into oncoming traffic for him. He’s a master of using things to his advantage and I see this as a perfect setting.

Think the griz win this one but that’s why they play the game!
I've had the same feeling this week, I think the griz will actually roll EWU this weekend. I think that place will be off the hook and smelling blood after last weekend, and I think Eastern looks like a shell of what they were doing offensively earlier this season. I'm certainly rooting for EWU, but I just don't feel like it's a good situation for the Eagles, and it is really hard to beat a team twice in the same year.

On that note, why couldn't the committee have placed EWU in the bracket with Sac State, and sent SDSU to Missoula? That would have still maintained the BS regionalization thing, but avoided a rematch. Doesn't really affect us, but I still think it's stupid.

GO CATS GO!!!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:50 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

I think if they feel they let the last one slip away, then they're in trouble. I think they got outcoached. EWU made the adjustments and UM couldn't counter. Almost all coaches have that 'oncoming traffic' 'using things to his advantage' ability, so that's a wash. EWU may talk trash, but they also have a lot of motivation due to feeling slighted by the committee, so that's also a wash. Unlike a lot of MSU's coaches in their first go-round at WGS, Best and his coaches have a lot of experience playing there, which decreases the homefield advantage.
I disagree with most of this. Although it’s all speculation so it’s not like I think you’re obviously wrong.

If UM was outcoached so bad the first time, I think they should feel even better. They were literally a ball off the fingertips from winning their last matchup. Despite their stout D giving up a lot of points and a ton of yards to receivers.

I completely disagree with your take on Hauck and what he gets out of players. He is brilliant when it comes to motivating his guys. Some coaches have that, many coaches don’t. This isn’t to say there aren’t great coaches out there who aren’t like Hauck, because obviously there are. But I know enough former players of his as well as a couple coaches who rave about the guy and his ability to use anything and everything to get his guys ready. I simply don’t think all players from all teams in college feel about their head coaches like the majority of griz players feel about Hauck. At least from what I’ve seen and been told.

I agree that things like trash talk and being snubbed for a seed are all extra stuff. But again, knowing what I know about Hauck, I cringe when I hear opposing players running their mouths before facing one of his teams. Perhaps I’m giving him too much credit here?

And while any experience in Washington-Griz is helpful, I will still never discredit their home field advantage. This isn’t to suggest they can’t lose there as obviously they have. But that place will be rocking Friday night. I saw it first hand last Saturday, and if the griz get momentum early and keep the fans in it, it will be a long night for the Eags.

Now I’m pissed at you because you just made me take 5 minutes out of my day to talk up Hauck and the griz. :sick:
I think he means UM was outcoached because they were up 21-10 and then EWU adjusted to what UM's defense was doing and outscored them 24-7 with UM's only points coming on a KR. So, no, EWU didn't outcoach them in the first half, but they did in the second and that's kind of where things stand between those two teams. If UM can't come into this game and counter what EWU was doing in the second half, they're toast. UM wasn't that close to catching that pass. I don't agree with the adage that you have to catch anything you can get a finger on. Any team within a TD that has the ball with a little bit of time left is in four-down assault mode, so unless UM can someone play an entire game like that -- they can't because if they could they would -- then I don't see it as a factor.

I've never heard any of his players ever say anything about him one way or the other, which tells me he's just average. Not that I don't believe what you said, but that hasn't been my experience. Players used to rave about Choate. Now that's someone that motivated players. Usually when a coach is a great motivator, then the players talk about it...a lot. Typically you can tell the coaches that are motivators from the ones that aren't and I just don't come away thinking Hauck is all that good at it from his pressers and other interactions.

They have a huge advantage for home playoff games with the crowd, but there won't be as many people there on Friday night. A lot of people stay away from night games because they don't want to get a motel. It'll be loud and it's an advantage, but EWU is a conference team and they've seen it. If it was UNI, it'd be all over.

EWU is still a very good offense. MSU and WSU did a good job against them, and I hear a lot of people saying UNI did, too, but if you watch that game EWU left a lot of points on the field. They could've just as easily won 36-9. At home with a lot of crowd noise I expect UM to hold EWU down.

Final: EWU 27, UM 10

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:55 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:49 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
This is a game tailor made for a Bobby Hauck coached team. They already have to feel like they let the last one slip away. Throw in the trash talk by EWU players. Get a game Friday night in front of a packed home crowd.

Obviously football is a game of matchups. All the other stuff is extra. But Hauck has kids that will run into oncoming traffic for him. He’s a master of using things to his advantage and I see this as a perfect setting.

I've had the same feeling this week, I think the griz will actually roll EWU this weekend. I think that place will be off the hook and smelling blood after last weekend, and I think Eastern looks like a shell of what they were doing offensively earlier this season. I'm certainly rooting for EWU, but I just don't feel like it's a good situation for the Eagles, and it is really hard to beat a team twice in the same year.

On that note, why couldn't the committee have placed EWU in the bracket with Sac State, and sent SDSU to Missoula? That would have still maintained the BS regionalization thing, but avoided a rematch. Doesn't really affect us, but I still think it's stupid.
I think the bracketing was done how it was to create a possible UC Davis/Sac State 2nd round matchup. The committee was very strict in its regionalization this year and obviously did not shy away from setting up early rematch games. I think it's stupid too, I'd like to see them seed 1 through 16 and only regionally bracket the last 8 teams for the first round games.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:16 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:55 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

I think the bracketing was done how it was to create a possible UC Davis/Sac State 2nd round matchup. The committee was very strict in its regionalization this year and obviously did not shy away from setting up early rematch games. I think it's stupid too, I'd like to see them seed 1 through 16 and only regionally bracket the last 8 teams for the first round games.
Everyone on the committee knew sdsu would blowout Davis.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:06 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:16 pm
MSU01 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

I bet they also thought Missouri State would blow out UT-Martin. I know I did.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:46 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:06 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

Me too! I think Missouri State was 17 point favorites. I think I saw the Cats are favored by 12.5. I think Miss St ended up with 5-6 turnovers though. No one wins doing that.

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:50 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:50 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

I think he means UM was outcoached because they were up 21-10 and then EWU adjusted to what UM's defense was doing and outscored them 24-7 with UM's only points coming on a KR. So, no, EWU didn't outcoach them in the first half, but they did in the second and that's kind of where things stand between those two teams. If UM can't come into this game and counter what EWU was doing in the second half, they're toast. UM wasn't that close to catching that pass. I don't agree with the adage that you have to catch anything you can get a finger on. Any team within a TD that has the ball with a little bit of time left is in four-down assault mode, so unless UM can someone play an entire game like that -- they can't because if they could they would -- then I don't see it as a factor.

I've never heard any of his players ever say anything about him one way or the other, which tells me he's just average. Not that I don't believe what you said, but that hasn't been my experience. Players used to rave about Choate. Now that's someone that motivated players. Usually when a coach is a great motivator, then the players talk about it...a lot. Typically you can tell the coaches that are motivators from the ones that aren't and I just don't come away thinking Hauck is all that good at it from his pressers and other interactions.

They have a huge advantage for home playoff games with the crowd, but there won't be as many people there on Friday night. A lot of people stay away from night games because they don't want to get a motel. It'll be loud and it's an advantage, but EWU is a conference team and they've seen it. If it was UNI, it'd be all over.

EWU is still a very good offense. MSU and WSU did a good job against them, and I hear a lot of people saying UNI did, too, but if you watch that game EWU left a lot of points on the field. They could've just as easily won 36-9. At home with a lot of crowd noise I expect UM to hold EWU down.

Final: EWU 27, UM 10
I respect your thoughts but I saw things a little differently in that UNI-EWU matchup. You’re right, EWU left points out there but so did UNI. That early TD that was placed on the 1 yard line, they went 4 and out. Then they got to the 4 yard line late and went 4 and out again. Those 2 scores make that game way different. But EWU was definitely the better team.

As for Griz stadium, sounds like 20k+ tickets have already been sold and they may be expecting 22-23k. That place will be rocking which should help UM.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:15 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:06 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

I was speaking to what I was assuming was your premise: a Davis-SAC game was why the committee had Davis play SDSU. If that's not what you were getting at, my apologies.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:06 am

If you need any more of a reason to root for the Eagles tomorrow night just listen to Riley Corcoran's whining on Nuanez Now from yesterday. He goes on and on about the structure of the bracket and how it screwed the griz. He talks about how unfair it is that the griz have to beat all four of the top ranked teams to win the national championship.
"That should not happen in a bracket style, like that. The setup is funky that way."

No, it's not funky, you're team is the #6 seed. 6 plays 3, then if they win they play 2, then if they win they play 1. The only funky part is that they have to play the #4 ranked team. But that's if you go by rankings which aren't very accurate at listing the best teams in order anyway. This is also the same guy who at the beginning of the segment said Sac State should have been the 8 seed because they aren't very good.

The best part was when he stopped whining Colter doesn't even really address the argument and attempts to change the conversation. Riley comes back in and takes a shot at EWU while whining again. Colter tries to move things along again and he did it again with Sac State again. :cry:

Colter: "Yeah, it's pretty interesting." :lol:

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:18 am

There is no doubt that side of the bracket is the much tougher side. He probably whined about it and could’ve phrased it differently but there’s no denying that fact. Bison, JMU, Griz, EWU all on one side shouldn’t happen as those were all top 5 teams in the entire country per final rankings. They need to start seeding the entire bracket or it will never be right.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:49 am

ibleedblue wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:18 am
There is no doubt that side of the bracket is the much tougher side. He probably whined about it and could’ve phrased it differently but there’s no denying that fact. Bison, JMU, Griz, EWU all on one side shouldn’t happen as those were all top 5 teams in the entire country per final rankings. They need to start seeding the entire bracket or it will never be right.
If you are strictly going by the "rankings" why even have a playoff?
The committee seeds the top 8, that is the only "ranking" that matters, and that is what the bracket is built around.
What you/they are arguing is to throw out the committee altogether and just use the stats poll to build the bracket.
Frankly I am in favor of a committee rather than having a bunch of sports writers put together a bracket. Thats only one step away from having the writers just pick a champion like DI-A used to be.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:16 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:49 am
ibleedblue wrote:
The committee seeds the top 8, that is the only "ranking" that matters, and that is what the bracket is built around.
What you/they are arguing is to throw out the committee altogether and just use the stats poll to build the bracket.
Frankly I am in favor of a committee rather than having a bunch of sports writers put together a bracket. Thats only one step away from having the writers just pick a champion like DI-A used to be.
Yeah, I'm more comfortable with the seedings than the rankings. I do think the committee should rank the entire playoff field which would hopefully get rid of, or at least lessen, regionalization. If a team that's good enough to make the playoffs can't afford to charter a plane for a first round game they need to find a way to put more money into their program or move down to D2.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:23 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:16 pm
cats2506 wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Yeah, I'm more comfortable with the seedings than the rankings. I do think the committee should rank the entire playoff field which would hopefully get rid of, or at least lessen, regionalization. If a team that's good enough to make the playoffs can't afford to charter a plane for a first round game they need to find a way to put more money into their program or move down to D2.
Yea this is where I am at. We should still have a committee but that committee should literally seed the entire bracket and throw out this regionalization parameter. If you look at the matchups this weekend, there are a number of teams who are favored by 2 scores or more whereas UM-EWU is a coin flip. You have two seeded teams who got byes that are not even favored to win at home in Sac St and ETSU. That makes no sense!

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:38 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:23 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:16 pm
cats2506 wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Yea this is where I am at. We should still have a committee but that committee should literally seed the entire bracket and throw out this regionalization parameter. If you look at the matchups this weekend, there are a number of teams who are favored by 2 scores or more whereas UM-EWU is a coin flip. You have two seeded teams who got byes that are not even favored to win at home in Sac St and ETSU. That makes no sense!
Seed 16 teams, use the last 8 to fill in regionalization in the first round, but try to avoid "recent" rematches.

NCAA pays travel expenses, but the income is from the game hosts, they usually don't make enough to pay for it all.
the BB tournament is the cash cow for the NCAA, but they want to keep as much as they can. the FCS tournament is one of the few NCAA Championships that even comes close to breaking even. Regionalization is something they do in most of their tournaments to try to cut expenses.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:47 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:06 am
If you need any more of a reason to root for the Eagles tomorrow night just listen to Riley Corcoran's whining on Nuanez Now from yesterday. He goes on and on about the structure of the bracket and how it screwed the griz. He talks about how unfair it is that the griz have to beat all four of the top ranked teams to win the national championship.
"That should not happen in a bracket style, like that. The setup is funky that way."

No, it's not funky, you're team is the #6 seed. 6 plays 3, then if they win they play 2, then if they win they play 1. The only funky part is that they have to play the #4 ranked team. But that's if you go by rankings which aren't very accurate at listing the best teams in order anyway. This is also the same guy who at the beginning of the segment said Sac State should have been the 8 seed because they aren't very good.

The best part was when he stopped whining Colter doesn't even really address the argument and attempts to change the conversation. Riley comes back in and takes a shot at EWU while whining again. Colter tries to move things along again and he did it again with Sac State again. :cry:

Correction: It was Shaun Rainey doing the whining, which is actually worse since he's the Sports Director at SWX.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:01 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:47 pm
coloradocat wrote:

Correction: It was Shaun Rainey doing the whining, which is actually worse since he's the Sports Director at SWX.
Shaun is a complete tool. I could give a lot of examples of why but I won’t. It isn’t just in relation to UM. He’s just a moron.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:02 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:01 pm
coloradocat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Shaun is a complete tool. I could give a lot of examples of why but I won’t. It isn’t just in relation to UM. He’s just a moron.
Won't get any argument from me on that point

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:06 pm

coloradocat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Saying the right side of the bracket is tougher is hard to prove. I can argue the other side. If JMU, NDSU. EWU are the cream of the FCS well then who did those teams lose to? Villanova, SDSU, and MSU. All teams on the other side of the bracket along with Sac St (the BSC champion and someone who beat um at their place). Also with SHSU the #1 team, defending national champion, and longest unbeaten in FCS. News flash Shaun, teams playing in December are good teams. They are hard games to win.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing