UM vs. EWU Predictions

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: UM vs. EWU Predictions

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:10 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:18 am
There is no doubt that side of the bracket is the much tougher side. He probably whined about it and could’ve phrased it differently but there’s no denying that fact. Bison, JMU, Griz, EWU all on one side shouldn’t happen as those were all top 5 teams in the entire country per final rankings. They need to start seeding the entire bracket or it will never be right.
What difference would it have made if the entire bracket was seeded? The griz would still be the 6 seed, and still be whining about how hard of a path the 6 seed has to win the natty. I dont think their complaints are about EWU, its about them having to goto the 3 seed, then the 2 seed, then the 1 seed (if they were to win each one). Basically they are bitching about the standard seeding/bracketing path for a 6 seed, which is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while relating to sports.

EWU really isn't THAT tough of a draw. Yes there are weaker teams still playing, but ewu hasn't exactly been lighting things up lately since they lost their OC a few weeks ago. I'd rather be playing EWU than SDSU, for example.
And if not for a pretty big upset, we'd be playing Missouri State this week, who would've also been a tougher draw than ewu.
Last edited by 91catAlum on Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:11 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:06 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:47 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:06 am
If you need any more of a reason to root for the Eagles tomorrow night just listen to Riley Corcoran's whining on Nuanez Now from yesterday. He goes on and on about the structure of the bracket and how it screwed the griz. He talks about how unfair it is that the griz have to beat all four of the top ranked teams to win the national championship.
"That should not happen in a bracket style, like that. The setup is funky that way."

No, it's not funky, you're team is the #6 seed. 6 plays 3, then if they win they play 2, then if they win they play 1. The only funky part is that they have to play the #4 ranked team. But that's if you go by rankings which aren't very accurate at listing the best teams in order anyway. This is also the same guy who at the beginning of the segment said Sac State should have been the 8 seed because they aren't very good.

The best part was when he stopped whining Colter doesn't even really address the argument and attempts to change the conversation. Riley comes back in and takes a shot at EWU while whining again. Colter tries to move things along again and he did it again with Sac State again. :cry:

Colter: "Yeah, it's pretty interesting." :lol:
Correction: It was Shaun Rainey doing the whining, which is actually worse since he's the Sports Director at SWX.
Saying the right side of the bracket is tougher is hard to prove. I can argue the other side. If JMU, NDSU. EWU are the cream of the FCS well then who did those teams lose to? Villanova, SDSU, and MSU. All teams on the other side of the bracket along with Sac St (the BSC champion and someone who beat um at their place). Also with SHSU the #1 team, defending national champion, and longest unbeaten in FCS. News flash Shaun, teams playing in December are good teams. They are hard games to win.
Don't you try and use facts in an argument with Homer, I mean Shaun.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:15 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
There is no doubt that side of the bracket is the much tougher side. He probably whined about it and could’ve phrased it differently but there’s no denying that fact. Bison, JMU, Griz, EWU all on one side shouldn’t happen as those were all top 5 teams in the entire country per final rankings. They need to start seeding the entire bracket or it will never be right.
Here's another thought: if all 16 teams were seeded, it would've looked something like this prior to last week:
1-8 no changes
9: Missouri State
10: SDSU
11: EWU
etc.
SO the griz as the 6 seed probably would have still drawn EWU, or else SDSU which would've been even tougher.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:24 pm

coachouert wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:11 pm
Prodigal Cat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
If you need any more of a reason to root for the Eagles tomorrow night just listen to Riley Corcoran's whining on Nuanez Now from yesterday. He goes on and on about the structure of the bracket and how it screwed the griz. He talks about how unfair it is that the griz have to beat all four of the top ranked teams to win the national championship.
"That should not happen in a bracket style, like that. The setup is funky that way."

No, it's not funky, you're team is the #6 seed. 6 plays 3, then if they win they play 2, then if they win they play 1. The only funky part is that they have to play the #4 ranked team. But that's if you go by rankings which aren't very accurate at listing the best teams in order anyway. This is also the same guy who at the beginning of the segment said Sac State should have been the 8 seed because they aren't very good.

The best part was when he stopped whining Colter doesn't even really address the argument and attempts to change the conversation. Riley comes back in and takes a shot at EWU while whining again. Colter tries to move things along again and he did it again with Sac State again. :cry:

Correction: It was Shaun Rainey doing the whining, which is actually worse since he's the Sports Director at SWX.
Saying the right side of the bracket is tougher is hard to prove. I can argue the other side. If JMU, NDSU. EWU are the cream of the FCS well then who did those teams lose to? Villanova, SDSU, and MSU. All teams on the other side of the bracket along with Sac St (the BSC champion and someone who beat um at their place). Also with SHSU the #1 team, defending national champion, and longest unbeaten in FCS. News flash Shaun, teams playing in December are good teams. They are hard games to win.
Shaun and Riley are doing Colter no favors.

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:52 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:24 pm
coachouert wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

I miss Gus Tootell. He's was the most unbiased and pragmatic guy there. Its funny there is the parade of writers and journos that are supposed to give unbiased opinions and breakdowns and the Radio dude (amazing voice) was the best at it. Don't listen nearly as much since he left.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:56 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:52 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

I miss Gus Tootell. He's was the most unbiased and pragmatic guy there. Its funny there is the parade of writers and journos that are supposed to give unbiased opinions and breakdowns and the Radio dude (amazing voice) was the best at it. Don't listen nearly as much since he left.
I'm surprised you feel Tootell was unbiased. I didn't listen too often but when I did, he was always pro-griz.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:20 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:56 pm
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

I'm surprised you feel Tootell was unbiased. I didn't listen too often but when I did, he was always pro-griz.
Choate really got on his case after a game. Probably 2019 Cat-Griz. Choate was pissed because Tootell was acting all amazed that MSU won whatever game it was. Choate said something to the effect, 'well if you'd get out of Missoula once in a while you might know this....'

But you do get that impression that a lot of them are still stuck in pre-2009. It's like, "break out the butter churn and put a tap in that maple tree, granny's coming over to fix up some flap jacks!"

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:35 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:20 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Choate really got on his case after a game. Probably 2019 Cat-Griz. Choate was pissed because Tootell was acting all amazed that MSU won whatever game it was. Choate said something to the effect, 'well if you'd get out of Missoula once in a while you might know this....'

But you do get that impression that a lot of them are still stuck in pre-2009. It's like, "break out the butter churn and put a tap in that maple tree, granny's coming over to fix up some flap jacks!"
To be fair it doesn't take much over there. They beat us for the first time in five years and are hosting a playoff game and you'd think it was 2001. :lol:

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:53 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Haha yes I remember that. 2019 post-game presser, Gus asked Choate how MSU managed to be the more physical team over those amazing grizzlies, and Choate said "thats who we are every week" and Gus questioned him on that, and Choate said "yes, every week!" and then said the quote you were referring to. Good stuff.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:40 am

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:53 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Haha yes I remember that. 2019 post-game presser, Gus asked Choate how MSU managed to be the more physical team over those amazing grizzlies, and Choate said "thats who we are every week" and Gus questioned him on that, and Choate said "yes, every week!" and then said the quote you were referring to. Good stuff.
Thanks for the refresher. Funny stuff. You have a great memory.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:57 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Exactly. The NDSU/JMU/UM side of the bracket looks stronger at first glance based on historical strength of those programs, but I don't think it's accurate to say that it's stronger based on how the teams have actually played this year. SDSU is likely the strongest unseeded team in the field this year, which to me makes the 1/4/5/8 half of the bracket at least as loaded if not even more so than the other side. The big question mark is Sam Houston and if they're really worthy of being the #1 seed.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:55 am

I agree SDSU is legit and their final ranking of 11 is not representative of that team. However, if you look at just NDSU (3), JMU (2), EWU (4), and UM (5) those are 4 of the top 5 teams in final rankings. All of those on one side of the bracket tilts that scale easily in my opinion. On the other side, you have SHSU at 1 and the next closest is Villanova at 6. I consider Colter, Herder, McLaughlin all pretty much leading experts of FCS football and each one of them has said that it’s not balanced well.

GoodTimesAllTheTime
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by GoodTimesAllTheTime » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:24 pm

I think if we are going to talk about which side of the bracket is harder, it has to be mentioned that we are probably way underseeded at 8. We went undefeated at home and have one FCS loss in a tough road environment. I know it didn’t look great, but it’s recency bias to think that we aren’t better than EWU. So on our side, it’s the undefeated reigning champs, conference champs of the toughest conference in sac state, us, a very solid Villanova team, and the best non-seeded team in SDSU. Stacks up just fine, in my opinion. All those writers are prone to bias and groupthink like anyone else.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:31 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:10 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
What difference would it have made if the entire bracket was seeded? The griz would still be the 6 seed, and still be whining about how hard of a path the 6 seed has to win the natty. I dont think their complaints are about EWU, its about them having to goto the 3 seed, then the 2 seed, then the 1 seed (if they were to win each one). Basically they are bitching about the standard seeding/bracketing path for a 6 seed, which is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while relating to sports.

EWU really isn't THAT tough of a draw. Yes there are weaker teams still playing, but ewu hasn't exactly been lighting things up lately since they lost their OC a few weeks ago. I'd rather be playing EWU than SDSU, for example.
And if not for a pretty big upset, we'd be playing Missouri State this week, who would've also been a tougher draw than ewu.
SHSU is the consensus #1 team and has been all season. EWU is Top 10, but not even sniffing distance of Top 5.

The two sides are pretty even.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:07 am

BozoneCat wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:49 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:06 pm
This is a game tailor made for a Bobby Hauck coached team. They already have to feel like they let the last one slip away. Throw in the trash talk by EWU players. Get a game Friday night in front of a packed home crowd.

Obviously football is a game of matchups. All the other stuff is extra. But Hauck has kids that will run into oncoming traffic for him. He’s a master of using things to his advantage and I see this as a perfect setting.

Think the griz win this one but that’s why they play the game!
I've had the same feeling this week, I think the griz will actually roll EWU this weekend. I think that place will be off the hook and smelling blood after last weekend, and I think Eastern looks like a shell of what they were doing offensively earlier this season. I'm certainly rooting for EWU, but I just don't feel like it's a good situation for the Eagles, and it is really hard to beat a team twice in the same year.

On that note, why couldn't the committee have placed EWU in the bracket with Sac State, and sent SDSU to Missoula? That would have still maintained the BS regionalization thing, but avoided a rematch. Doesn't really affect us, but I still think it's stupid.
You and I were right. Hope you said the cats are gonna roll tomorrow too! You’re very wise.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:30 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:07 am
BozoneCat wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:49 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:06 pm
This is a game tailor made for a Bobby Hauck coached team. They already have to feel like they let the last one slip away. Throw in the trash talk by EWU players. Get a game Friday night in front of a packed home crowd.

Obviously football is a game of matchups. All the other stuff is extra. But Hauck has kids that will run into oncoming traffic for him. He’s a master of using things to his advantage and I see this as a perfect setting.

Think the griz win this one but that’s why they play the game!
I've had the same feeling this week, I think the griz will actually roll EWU this weekend. I think that place will be off the hook and smelling blood after last weekend, and I think Eastern looks like a shell of what they were doing offensively earlier this season. I'm certainly rooting for EWU, but I just don't feel like it's a good situation for the Eagles, and it is really hard to beat a team twice in the same year.

On that note, why couldn't the committee have placed EWU in the bracket with Sac State, and sent SDSU to Missoula? That would have still maintained the BS regionalization thing, but avoided a rematch. Doesn't really affect us, but I still think it's stupid.
You and I were right. Hope you said the cats are gonna roll tomorrow too! You’re very wise.
Haha, can’t say I was exactly predicting a game quite like that, but I’ve just seen it happen so many times, including 2 weekends ago, where teams go into that place and don’t play like themselves. Eastern actually came out playing well and had a good game plan, but the entire game changed after the refs blew the targeting call(s) and right away they block a punt and the momentum completely changed. EWU looked like a completely different team after that and went away from a lot of the things that had gotten them a lead up to that point.

I do think the Cats roll today as well.

GO CATS GO!!!

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:14 am

GoodTimesAllTheTime wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:24 pm
I think if we are going to talk about which side of the bracket is harder, it has to be mentioned that we are probably way underseeded at 8. We went undefeated at home and have one FCS loss in a tough road environment. I know it didn’t look great, but it’s recency bias to think that we aren’t better than EWU. So on our side, it’s the undefeated reigning champs, conference champs of the toughest conference in sac state, us, a very solid Villanova team, and the best non-seeded team in SDSU. Stacks up just fine, in my opinion. All those writers are prone to bias and groupthink like anyone else.
Not so sure Villanova is “very solid”. The CAA is weak in my opinion outside of JMU. Villanova literally almost lost to Holy Cross. That HC team is awful, too.