Zac Crews

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

60's Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Zac Crews

Post by 60's Cat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:50 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:42 am
This thread should probably just be locked
Yup.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:50 am

mslacatfan wrote:
I agree. When people mischaracterize the meaning of phrases and words, and appear to have no interest in learning their true meaning threads become pointless.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:12 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:50 am
mslacatfan wrote:
I agree. When people mischaracterize the meaning of phrases and words, and appear to have no interest in learning their true meaning threads become pointless.
This thread isn't about you and what you do or don't believe. You choose to make it about that. And I can't remember if you or someone else brought it up first.

The task at hand is this recruit and will he be playing next fall.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:14 am

lutecat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:12 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:50 am
mslacatfan wrote:
This thread isn't about you and what you do or don't believe. You choose to make it about that. And I can't remember if you or someone else brought it up first.

The task at hand is this recruit and will he be playing next fall.
It shouldn’t be, but someone certainly made it about me and another poster. If people want to give me a hard time that’s one thing, but I don’t like what I say to be taken out of context or misconstrued. So here I am. Sorry.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:24 am

Yes, adolescents do and say stupid things. And yes, my youth was way before those things I did were memorialized online.

If I'm Bobby Hauck (which means I've died with a mortal sin on my soul and have been sent to Hell), the team needs to be involved with the decision and that process can't divide the team. If that can't be accomplished, then I take a pass on Zac and wish him the best.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:35 am

rivercat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:24 am
Yes, adolescents do and say stupid things. And yes, my youth was way before those things I did were memorialized online.

If I'm Bobby Hauck (which means I've died with a mortal sin on my soul and have been sent to Hell), the team needs to be involved with the decision and that process can't divide the team. If that can't be accomplished, then I take a pass on Zac and wish him the best.
Thanks for bringing things back on topic. This is a tough one…I wonder if there has been a precedent set by other schools on how they handle something like this.

I don’t think he can just apologize and make everything go away. Partly because it could tear apart the locker room and also because I’m a believer in accountability. Also, I’m not sure UM’s player conduct code applies to Crews, so the discipline will be more subjective. I’d imagine for something as high profile as this, the president and AD will be fully involved.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:46 am

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:35 am
rivercat wrote:

Thanks for bringing things back on topic. This is a tough one…I wonder if there has been a precedent set by other schools on how they handle something like this.

I don’t think he can just apologize and make everything go away. Partly because it could tear apart the locker room and also because I’m a believer in accountability. Also, I’m not sure UM’s player conduct code applies to Crews, so the discipline will be more subjective. I’d imagine for something as high profile as this, the president and AD will be fully involved.
It's a mess.

From a football standpoint I'm sure all of the players are aware of what is going on. In regards to whether or not he's ever a Griz, I would think the players currently on the roster should have a big say in that. It shouldn't be hard for Hauck to determine if the players will welcome him after an apology, or if he's a player that will divide his team next season.

It might not even get that far because as you mentioned, I'm sure the AD and prez will have a big part in what they do going forward.

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:04 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:46 am
wbtfg wrote:
rivercat wrote:

It's a mess.

From a football standpoint I'm sure all of the players are aware of what is going on. In regards to whether or not he's ever a Griz, I would think the players currently on the roster should have a big say in that. It shouldn't be hard for Hauck to determine if the players will welcome him after an apology, or if he's a player that will divide his team next season.

It might not even get that far because as you mentioned, I'm sure the AD and prez will have a big part in what they do going forward.
IMO, they’ve just gotta cut ties immediately and that’s what I’d expect and want to see happen if it were one of our top recruits. A recruit isn’t even part of the team yet and he’s already upset current members of the team…not to mention the effect it could have on other potential recruits. You just gotta take the L on one kid or you’re potentially taking the L on several more. I hate cancel culture but that’s not really what this is… He’ll still be able to go on with his life, school, probably sports, but not at this stage and spotlight.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:36 am

The interesting part of this story is the timing of the leak. If it happened after the season/semester it would probably just be swept under the rug. Since it happened just as the playoffs are starting and prior to the early signing period, Missoula's hand is kind of forced. The local/state media will do their part and not mention it but the players and probably the student newspaper will be talking about it until something happens. It's not one of those things that Bobbi can just tell the guys to ignore and focus on the game.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:40 am

Will Frank Gagsalot ask Hauck about it at a presser?

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:42 am

ND0479 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:40 am
Will Flores ask Vigen about it at a presser?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:52 am

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:42 am
ND0479 wrote:
Will Flores ask Vigen about it at a presser?
:lol:
I was thinking the same thing!

BStinsMSU
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BStinsMSU » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:59 am

ND0479 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:04 am
ilovethecats wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
rivercat wrote:

It's a mess.

IMO, they’ve just gotta cut ties immediately and that’s what I’d expect and want to see happen if it were one of our top recruits. A recruit isn’t even part of the team yet and he’s already upset current members of the team…not to mention the effect it could have on other potential recruits. You just gotta take the L on one kid or you’re potentially taking the L on several more. I hate cancel culture but that’s not really what this is… He’ll still be able to go on with his life, school, probably sports, but not at this stage and spotlight.
I’m with you on the hatred of “cancel culture” but I also think there’s a difference between what is considered being cancelled and being held accountable for your actions. I had Griz fans bombarding me on Twitter about how he’s just a kid yadayada. Which true, he is a kid, and all of us did or said dumb things being young adults. Bottom line is racism isn’t “just an accident”. He’s an adult and knows the power of that word. Not knowing the potential consequences of his actions is not an excuse.

This is a black eye for recruitment as a whole and judging by the team leaders from UM retweeting the original tweet, UM is gonna shoot itself in the foot if it doesn’t take action. After that, I wish the kid the best and hopes he takes some action to redeem himself.

Sorry, I’ll hop off my soap box now

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:08 am

If I were um (Hauck/Bodner/Haslam), I’d probably make him gray shirt, give him an extensive checklist of things to complete and make him earn his spot back.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:11 am

I’m just seeing this. Since this seems to have at least gotten back on track a bit I’m going to give it a chance. However Tom, your arguments on usage just need a full stop. Likewise to others that are wanting to prolong that discussion please.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:58 am

BStinsMSU wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:59 am
ND0479 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:04 am
ilovethecats wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
rivercat wrote:

It's a mess.

I’m with you on the hatred of “cancel culture” but I also think there’s a difference between what is considered being cancelled and being held accountable for your actions. I had Griz fans bombarding me on Twitter about how he’s just a kid yadayada. Which true, he is a kid, and all of us did or said dumb things being young adults. Bottom line is racism isn’t “just an accident”. He’s an adult and knows the power of that word. Not knowing the potential consequences of his actions is not an excuse.

This is a black eye for recruitment as a whole and judging by the team leaders from UM retweeting the original tweet, UM is gonna shoot itself in the foot if it doesn’t take action. After that, I wish the kid the best and hopes he takes some action to redeem himself.

Sorry, I’ll hop off my soap box now
Well said!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:10 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:08 am
If I were um (Hauck/Bodner/Haslam), I’d probably make him gray shirt, give him an extensive checklist of things to complete and make him earn his spot back.
I was thinking the same thing. Seems like an appropriate punishment for a kid that made a mistake when he was probably only 16. Delay his spot and make him earn it back. If he doesn't like it he can always try to go somewhere else. I'm sure there are D2/NAIA programs that will be more forgiving than a high profile FCS team.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:17 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:10 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:08 am
I was thinking the same thing. Seems like an appropriate punishment for a kid that made a mistake when he was probably only 16. Delay his spot and make him earn it back. If he doesn't like it he can always try to go somewhere else. I'm sure there are D2/NAIA programs that will be more forgiving than a high profile FCS team.
Exactly. There has to be some accountability, but at the same time, I’m a big believer in 2nd chances. He has to demonstrate his commitment and face the music with his teammates otherwise there will always be that elephant in the room.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:31 pm

I can’t imagine he would find very many friends in the locker room no matter he says or does for reconciliation. If I were Hauck, I wouldn’t think he’s talented enough for it to be worth the potential trouble.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:17 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Is that the one that asked Vigen the BS question about Bergen? If so... yes - grow some balls and ask Bobby what he's going to do about the Crews sitchy.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!