Zac Crews

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Zac Crews

Post by LTown Cat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:34 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:17 pm
ND0479 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:40 am
Will Frank Gagsalot ask Hauck about it at a presser?
Is that the one that asked Vigen the BS question about Bergen? If so... yes - grow some balls and ask Bobby what he's going to do about the Crews sitchy.
While I’d love to see him ask it isn’t going to happen. Neither Bobby nor UM can comment on the kid right now.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:51 pm

catatac wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
Is that the one that asked Vigen the BS question about Bergen? If so... yes - grow some balls and ask Bobby what he's going to do about the Crews sitchy.
Coaches can’t comment on high school kids until after they sign.

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:29 pm

catatac wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
I thought so.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:05 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:51 pm
catatac wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
I would bet he’ll get asked about it and his response will be something like, “I cannot talk about our HS recruits, but rest assured we are looking into the situation and will handle it in house in an appropriate manner.” Or he might chuck a knife at a reporter and announce no more questions for the rest of the year. 50/50 odds imo

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:07 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:05 pm
wbtfg wrote:
catatac wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
I would bet he’ll get asked about it and his response will be something like, “I cannot talk about our HS recruits, but rest assured we are looking into the situation and will handle it in house in an appropriate manner.” Or he might chuck a knife at a reporter and announce no more questions for the rest of the year. 50/50 odds imo
No way Bobby handles it that articulately.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:11 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:07 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:05 pm
wbtfg wrote:
catatac wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
No way Bobby handles it that articulately.
Yeah, you’re right.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:48 am

Listen, I get people saying that kids make mistakes and that he apologized…..move on. Here is the thing though, we all know in this day and age what is right and wrong, what is acceptable and unacceptable, what is cultural and what is racist. Will people make mistakes, absolutely. But if they aren’t held accountable, what’s to stop them from doing it over and over again.

Punters are people too!!

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:56 am

People think kids are allowed to make mistakes with no accountability. What does that teach them? Sure, you can argue about what accountability means.

I have a feeling he'll play for the griz next year. The apology was something the griz coaching staff told him he had to do. That's griz/BH accountability. Oh. Yes. He'll run their M a few times and that will be deemed sufficient.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:06 pm

lutecat wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:56 am
People think kids are allowed to make mistakes with no accountability. What does that teach them? Sure, you can argue about what accountability means.

I have a feeling he'll play for the griz next year. The apology was something the griz coaching staff told him he had to do. That's griz/BH accountability. Oh. Yes. He'll run their M a few times and that will be deemed sufficient.
I dunno. Good way to lose a locker room if you let him on the team. You’ll notice there was very little support on his apology from current players. I think he gets pushed out as quietly as possible.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:09 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:48 am
Listen, I get people saying that kids make mistakes and that he apologized…..move on. Here is the thing though, we all know in this day and age what is right and wrong, what is acceptable and unacceptable, what is cultural and what is racist. Will people make mistakes, absolutely. But if they aren’t held accountable, what’s to stop them from doing it over and over again.
Kids do make mistakes, but somebody saying the N word with those emojis in 2020 is completely different than saying the N word 20 years ago. It just isn’t excusable. And the way it was said, this wasn’t a first time offense. You’re absolutely right on the accountability part. Unfortunately, there are Griz fans (and there would be Bobcat fans if the situation was reversed too) that are willing to overlook this because the kid is good at football. And that’s really sad from adults.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:34 pm

This is a sad/tough situation all the way around. From what I know of him, Zac is a good kid. But posting (or saying) that on any platform is also not okay.
But what is missing here is context. Nobody know the context of any prior conversations, inside jokes, or sarcasm. The odds the kid is “racist” is pretty low even though the comment and emojis are derogatory and inappropriate. That’s why posting online in any capacity is risky, and that is what our younger generations need to learn. The internet is written in ink, not pencil. Having boys his age, I can totally “hear” the smart-ass banter of a couple teenagers. Innocent, but stupid. But one stupid comment written in ink and you risk being branded forever in the public eye.
Fan reactions (especially an opposing fanbase) and memories are going to be way stronger than his future teammates. Zac will have the advantage of getting to know his teammates and they get to know him. That will determine his future with the team more than public knee-jerk reaction. And kids communicate in different ways with each other, no matter how much us keyboard warriors don’t like it. A lot of it horribly inappropriate. So I think even though he will have to address it, it’s not a life-sentence for his football career at UM.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:09 pm

tdub wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:34 pm
This is a sad/tough situation all the way around. From what I know of him, Zac is a good kid. But posting (or saying) that on any platform is also not okay.
But what is missing here is context. Nobody know the context of any prior conversations, inside jokes, or sarcasm. The odds the kid is “racist” is pretty low even though the comment and emojis are derogatory and inappropriate. That’s why posting online in any capacity is risky, and that is what our younger generations need to learn. The internet is written in ink, not pencil. Having boys his age, I can totally “hear” the smart-ass banter of a couple teenagers. Innocent, but stupid. But one stupid comment written in ink and you risk being branded forever in the public eye.
Fan reactions (especially an opposing fanbase) and memories are going to be way stronger than his future teammates. Zac will have the advantage of getting to know his teammates and they get to know him. That will determine his future with the team more than public knee-jerk reaction. And kids communicate in different ways with each other, no matter how much us keyboard warriors don’t like it. A lot of it horribly inappropriate. So I think even though he will have to address it, it’s not a life-sentence for his football career at UM.
I agree that context matters in certain situations. However, there are some things you can’t joke around about. A gun pointed at anyone’s head is not a joking matter. It doesn’t really matter what nationality the head was representing.

That said. I don’t think he needs to have his offer pulled. He needs to do more of what he did though. I don’t think his post was enough. He needs to go to a center for minorities and do some work. May not be one in Missoula, but there’s probably something in Spokane or Seattle.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:47 pm

Does anyone have the number for Truck Masters? Zac might need that.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:57 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:19 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:22 pm
AKA; I’m sorry I got caught.
Certainly true... And I am all for facing the music for the stupid things we do and say in our lives. Especially when it comes to saying hurtful things to other people. But dang, I would sure be a hipocrite if I were to get on my high horse about the stupid things that HS kids say. I am thankful that social media didn't exist when I was his age. I would have embarrassed myself to no end. The kid said some really stupid hurtful things that he should be embarrassed about. But he needs a break. It will be one hell of a learning experience. I would guess he will grow a lot from this mistake.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:44 pm

Some people are looking at this with the context of, I'm glad the things I did weren't on social media. And I think that is wrong. They know things on the internet are out there. To pretend they don't is doing a disservice to their intelligence. This has been preached to them. Any kid that goes to a sports camp has this preached to them by coaches. Trust me. I liken this more to yelling this at a pep rally. They know not to do it but they still do it. Kids know not to do this. They do. It's not just "stupid stuff kids do"

Grizlaw
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Grizlaw » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:24 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:09 pm

I agree that context matters in certain situations. However, there are some things you can’t joke around about. A gun pointed at anyone’s head is not a joking matter. It doesn’t really matter what nationality the head was representing.
I would agree with this, but our society is riddled with examples of high profile public figures saying/doing/joking about things that should probably be “off limits.” Look at our stand-up comedians: Bill Burr jokes that it’s sometimes understandable for men to beat women; Chris Rock jokes that cops should shoot a white kid from time to time, just to keep things in balance. We have a member of Congress who’s being censured right now for joking about murdering another member of Congress, and half of Congress apparently thinks that’s ok. The “other” half of the country thought it was ok for Kathy Griffin to joke about beheading President Trump.

UM should do whatever is best for the school and the team, and that may mean cutting this kid loose. That’s probably what I’d do, if I was Hauck or Bodnar — whatever upside this kid has probably doesn’t outweigh the potential harm that keeping him could do to the team’s chemistry and the school’s reputation. But, do I think he’s automatically a racist or a bad guy because of this? Maybe, maybe not - I do think context matters. If it was a joke, then he’s guilty of making a tasteless joke, but if we crucify him for that, then I guess we’re applying a standard to a 17-year-old kid that we don’t apply to members of Congress or famous celebrities.

I work as an attorney so that I can afford good scotch, which helps me to forget that I work as an attorney.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:37 pm

Grizlaw wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:24 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:09 pm

I would agree with this, but our society is riddled with examples of high profile public figures saying/doing/joking about things that should probably be “off limits.” Look at our stand-up comedians: Bill Burr jokes that it’s sometimes understandable for men to beat women; Chris Rock jokes that cops should shoot a white kid from time to time, just to keep things in balance. We have a member of Congress who’s being censured right now for joking about murdering another member of Congress, and half of Congress apparently thinks that’s ok. The “other” half of the country thought it was ok for Kathy Griffin to joke about beheading President Trump.

UM should do whatever is best for the school and the team, and that may mean cutting this kid loose. That’s probably what I’d do, if I was Hauck or Bodnar — whatever upside this kid has probably doesn’t outweigh the potential harm that keeping him could do to the team’s chemistry and the school’s reputation. But, do I think he’s automatically a racist or a bad guy because of this? Maybe, maybe not - I do think context matters. If it was a joke, then he’s guilty of making a tasteless joke, but if we crucify him for that, then I guess we’re applying a standard to a 17-year-old kid that we don’t apply to members of Congress or famous celebrities.
You make excellent points all the way around here. Well done.

America has become a waning democracy over the past 5 years according to those who track these kinds of things. It didn’t used to be that way. Michael Richards is blackballed for similar comments. As is Dice Clay. Politicians used to step down from office over much less things. Al Franken, Anthony Weiner, albeit reluctantly among others. Today's thing is to deny deny deny.

Nowadays, You and me and Zac Crews can’t get away with it though. Politicians and the ultra wealthy have run amok.

It would be refreshing if Crews opened his recruiting back up and took an offer elsewhere.

You get caught, you own it. Don’t force someone else’s hand. He could set an example for Congress and the ultra wealthy. This is just what people should do, but now you’re a hero (or an idiot?) for holding yourself accountable and taking your punishment.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:03 pm

He should be given a second chance, maybe hold back some scholarship money until he earns it back. It obviously wasn't meant for public consumption, but its out now. I highly doubt that he is a racist, probably just a kid trying to be edgy, if he really is is racist it will take care of itself in due time. Yes DI athletes and recruits should be held to a higher standard, but this cancel culture bullsh!t goes too far.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

justafan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by justafan » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:20 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:03 pm
He should be given a second chance, maybe hold back some scholarship money until he earns it back. It obviously wasn't meant for public consumption, but its out now. I highly doubt that he is a racist, probably just a kid trying to be edgy, if he really is is racist it will take care of itself in due time. Yes DI athletes and recruits should be held to a higher standard, but this cancel culture bullsh!t goes too far.
yup he learned it was not ok for a white bread kid to be gangsta........

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:20 am

To me, the backbreaker was the emojis that were used. I sure wouldn’t want to make excuses as coach as to why I didn’t pull a scholarship after this came to light. It’s also worth noting how recent the incident is from. If it was 3 or 4 years ago it is a little easier to make excuses, but this is just too recent.