Lady Griz News

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Lady Griz News

Post by WeedKillinCat » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:33 pm

And like sand through the hour glass.....

https://www.krtv.com/sports/former-mont ... university

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Lady Griz News

Post by seataccat » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:24 pm

Haha, I think Shannon should go back to stealing hand bags at the mall.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by kcatz » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:07 am

seataccat wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:24 pm
Haha, I think Shannon should go back to stealing hand bags at the mall.
Leather Coats.....

But you make a great point.

She was horrible as a coach

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:34 pm

Here’s an article detailing the complaint and a copy of it. It’s filed solely against the University of Montana at Missoula.

https://dailymontanan.com/2021/11/15/f ... f-montana/

I find the arithmetic to be odd. The core of her complaint is that she was fired because two players enrolled in the Transfer Portal. She also assured Haslam that she had five returning players and six new ones. I remember (could be fuzzy) that she was down to five players as several others had left the team, perhaps just not directly by filing an intent to transfer on the web site.

Another distraction for the “flagship” as the article repeatedly says.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:58 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:34 pm
Here’s an article detailing the complaint and a copy of it. It’s filed solely against the University of Montana at Missoula.

I find the arithmetic to be odd. The core of her complaint is that she was fired because two players enrolled in the Transfer Portal. She also assured Haslam that she had five returning players and six new ones. I remember (could be fuzzy) that she was down to five players as several others had left the team, perhaps just not directly by filing an intent to transfer on the web site.

If Haslam put that in writing in terms of the one and only reason for her firing being because players entered the portal, he's an idiot. That's like CYA 101 stuff for manager. "Program performance isn't up to UM standards and the University wants to take things in a different direction." That would probably be a done deal, and not lawsuitable (New word).

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:51 pm

I posted this in another thread, before I noticed this thread, so I'll post it here too...

And this was the very first paragraph/sentence in the story:

Alleging a double standard based on gender, Shannon Schweyen, former head coach for women’s basketball at the University of Montana, is suing the flagship for sex discrimination and asking for a reinstatement — or back pay and front pay for lost compensation.

UM is still referring to itself as "the flagship"....flagship of what? Dumpster fires, s**t storms, train wrecks? Surely they don't really believe that they're still the flagship university in Montana, do they? Are they really that delusional over there in Missoula?

It seems odd that they would have cited players entering the transfer portal as the reason for her dismissal. It seems like her dismal, sub .500 record as the head coach of a program that had dominated the BSC for decades under Selvig, would have been adequate cause to terminate her.

Also interesting to see that Devlan Geddes is one of her attorneys. Didn't he play football for the Cats back in the 90's?

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:16 pm

The same points jumped out at both of us. A lot more than two players had walked away. Maybe they fell off the flagship.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:21 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:58 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

If Haslam put that in writing in terms of the one and only reason for her firing being because players entered the portal, he's an idiot. That's like CYA 101 stuff for manager. "Program performance isn't up to UM standards and the University wants to take things in a different direction." That would probably be a done deal, and not lawsuitable (New word).
I don’t think was his reasoning at all. But it’s her complaint and it simply doesn’t make sense. Haslam had extended (perhaps under pressure) her contract a few weeks before when several players had left. But after two more walked, he changed his mind and according to the complaint told her “you won’t achieve the goals because you won’t have a roster left.” And she countered with “five returning and six new players.” Five returning. Wow.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:46 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:21 pm
catatac wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

I don’t think was his reasoning at all. But it’s her complaint and it simply doesn’t make sense. Haslam had extended (perhaps under pressure) her contract a few weeks before when several players had left. But after two more walked, he changed his mind and according to the complaint told her “you won’t achieve the goals because you won’t have a roster left.” And she countered with “five returning and six new players.” Five returning. Wow.
Ok, thanks for the additional info. My post was based on the excerpt below, taken from one of the articles. Admittedly I have not spent a lot of time reading up on or researching this.

“The only reason he gave for the decision was that two women’s basketball players had entered the transfer portal”

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:51 am

catatac wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:46 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:21 pm
catatac wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

Ok, thanks for the additional info. My post was based on the excerpt below, taken from one of the articles. Admittedly I have not spent a lot of time reading up on or researching this.

“The only reason he gave for the decision was that two women’s basketball players had entered the transfer portal”
From the additional reading I did yesterday, it was like The straw that broke the camel’s back was that two [more] women’s basketball players were leaving the program, having entered the transfer portal. Saying “The only reason he gave” left the door open for additional undisclosed reasons.

The complaint itself enlarged on the conversations as previously reported. Based on the timelines, and Haslam’s statement that he didn’t want to offer the contract extension in the first place, IMHO this is what seems likely to have happened. Also, IMHO, she’s going to have an uphill battle to prove that sex discrimination was the root cause for the firing.

griz5700
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by griz5700 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:23 am

catatac wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

For sure. That’s the one part where I thought she might have some sort of a case.

How does an AD who hires Stitt, Schewyen, and Riley Corcoran not get fired?

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ
http://goo.gl/A6rsSA

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:05 am

griz5700 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:23 am
catatac wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

For sure. That’s the one part where I thought she might have some sort of a case.

I thought griz fans loved Riley Corcoran?

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:05 am

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:05 am
griz5700 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:23 am
catatac wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

I thought griz fans loved Riley Corcoran?
I think the dude is too homerish to me. And bashes the cats too much when it was the place he worked before UM. But I want to know more on that comment about him.

griz5700

Post by griz5700 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:33 pm

I just can’t stand listening to Corcoran. The pubescent cracking voice, the nonstop obscure stats, the over the top homer comments, and his total inability paint an accurate picture of the game all drive me crazy. I’ve never listened to a more annoying radio crew than he and Sundberg. “The Mecca of FCS football… Yahtzee!!!” 🤮

Would love to have a guy like Mitch Strohman. But unfortunately I don’t see Riley moving on to greener pastures anytime soon.

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:14 pm

griz5700 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:33 pm
I just can’t stand listening to Corcoran. The pubescent cracking voice, the nonstop obscure stats, the over the top homer comments, and his total inability paint an accurate picture of the game all drive me crazy. I’ve never listened to a more annoying radio crew than he and Sundberg. “The Mecca of FCS football… Yahtzee!!!” 🤮

Would love to have a guy like Mitch Strohman. But unfortunately I don’t see Riley moving on to greener pastures anytime soon.
What does it mean when he follows something up by saying "Yahtzee!!!"?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

griz5700

Post by griz5700 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:42 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:14 pm
griz5700 wrote:

That is Greg Sundberg’s thing.

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:54 pm

griz5700 wrote:

Mitch Strohman is sort of the Dean Alexander of Northern Arizona. I actually sent him an email one time telling him how much I enjoyed his call of our women’s basketball game (probably while Riley Corcoran was at MSU). Got a nice response. But now Riley isn’t just your problem, he’s ESPN Missoula’s problem. I don’t know if you listen but Tootell & Nuanez was great, but with Riley C. and Shaun R. it’s a tough listen.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:05 pm

griz5700 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:42 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
griz5700 wrote:

He yells YAHTZEE when sees Greg Sundberg’s thing?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:03 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:05 pm
griz5700 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:42 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
griz5700 wrote:

He yells YAHTZEE when sees Greg Sundberg’s thing?
The Griz invented Yahtzee. This is just his way of reminding everyone.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:01 am

Speaking of Riley Corcoran's over the top homer comments, I was just listening to Nuanez Now and when Colter and Riley are talking about the playoff seeding/bracket Riley complained about how unfair it is that the griz have to beat all four of the top ranked teams to win the national championship.
"That should not happen in a bracket style, like that. The setup is funky that way."

No, it's not funky, you're team is the #6 seed. 6 plays 3, then if they win they play 2, then if they win they play 1. The only funky part is that they have to play the #4 ranked team. But that's if you go by rankings which aren't very accurate at listing the best teams in order anyway. This is also the same guy who at the beginning of the segment said Sac State should have been the 8 seed because they aren't very good.

The best part was when he stopped whining Colter doesn't even really address the argument and attempts to change the conversation. Riley comes back in and takes a shot at EWU while whining again. :cry:

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!