Toxic Fans

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Toxic Fans

Post by Cataholic » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:27 am

I didn’t want to start a new thread, but this always bothers me. I can understand being upset with your team or players, but are you really a fan if you constantly complain about your team? What really bothers me though are personal attacks on players (or former players in this instance).

I thought this was a very cool tweet from MSU alum and Bobcat great Dakota Prukop.

One of the responses though was in very poor taste, especially from an anonymous poster. Real low class.

Hey @The Butcher , was this your tweet? The content of the account is very similar to your persona.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Re: Toxic Fans

Post by The Butcher » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:36 am

???

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:17 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:36 am
???
Is this your Twitter account?

https://twitter.com/TheButcher53

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:22 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:17 pm
The Butcher wrote:
???

???

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:17 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:22 pm
Cataholic wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
???

???
You denying this is your Twitter account? This person is an MSU fan. Lives in South Dakota. Claims to be former Republican. Has the same username. Hates Kristi Noem. Posts crazy political stuff with a major liberal take. Recently posted a garbage tweet responding to Dakota Prukop - but realized how garbage it was and took it down. You claim this is all a huge coincidence?

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:01 pm

Is there any reason this couldn’t have been handled in a private message?

Ya look like a stalker, at best.

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:24 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:17 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:22 pm
Cataholic wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
???

???
You denying this is your Twitter account? This person is an MSU fan. Lives in South Dakota. Claims to be former Republican. Has the same username. Hates Kristi Noem. Posts crazy political stuff with a major liberal take. Recently posted a garbage tweet responding to Dakota Prukop - but realized how garbage it was and took it down. You claim this is all a huge coincidence?
What the heck is this?

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:25 pm

By "toxic fans" are we referring to people who stalk posters' social media accounts because they aren't sufficiently positive?

Because that's a definition I can get on board with.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:41 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:25 pm
By "toxic fans" are we referring to people who stalk posters' social media accounts because they aren't sufficiently positive?

Really? Dakota Prukop had a pretty nice post about MSU. Some prick replied with this:

“Super stoked for all the future players that will transfer to a Pac-12 to ride the pine and read their tweets about their former team!”

That prick had the Twitter handle “thebutcher53”. I thought it was a pretty prickish post (especially since Dakota was complimenting our team), so I clicked on the profile. The rest was pretty easy to recognize that the account is the same as poster “thebutcher”.

Now if Belligerent and Vigo are okay with Butchers Twitter post, it doesn’t paint either of you in the best light. I thought it was pretty sh1tty so I posted it versus just sending PM. Of course you two could have sent a pm to me, so why didn’t you guys? Hmmm.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:47 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:41 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:

Really? Dakota Prukop had a pretty nice post about MSU. Some prick replied with this:

“Super stoked for all the future players that will transfer to a Pac-12 to ride the pine and read their tweets about their former team!”

That prick had the Twitter handle “thebutcher53”. I thought it was a pretty prickish post (especially since Dakota was complimenting our team), so I clicked on the profile. The rest was pretty easy to recognize that the account is the same as poster “thebutcher”.

Now if Belligerent and Vigo are okay with Butchers Twitter post, it doesn’t paint either of you in the best light. I thought it was pretty sh1tty so I posted it versus just sending PM. Of course you two could have sent a pm to me, so why didn’t you guys? Hmmm.
Dakota Prukop can handle the criticism. He knew he would have people unhappy with him for transferring and that some of them would never let him live it down. I'm glad Prukop still supports MSU, but I know there are a lot of people that can't get over it. The way I look at it is, it's their problem and if they want to waste time being angry there's not much I can do about, except let Prukop know I'm okay with what he did.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:16 am

Cataholic wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:

cancel culture at work

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:21 am

Cataholic wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:

I thought you were against cancel culture and doxxing?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:38 am

This is weird and creepy.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:05 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:38 am
This is weird and creepy.
This thread need to be locked, I find myself agreeing with people I don't normally, and it seems to be totally off topic

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:12 am

Not sure what the purpose of this was or what anyone thought would come of this but I agree with a few others, this is just kind of weird.

Edit: Cataholic PMd me asking what policy was broken that warranted locking the thread so I thought I would update here with an explanation for the future.

The above comment from me is primarily opinion, but calling out a poster here based on circumstantial evidence of being a particular user on another platform is questionable. The lengths at which it got personal in trying to prove that circumstantial connection is what got weird to me, and obviously others.

But that wasn't really why I locked the thread, I locked it because within less than 10 posts this thread was not about a tweet reply to Dakota that the original poster thought was bad form but rather about the poster's handling of the situation. The thread wasn't going to magically become something other than that going forward. That type of thing isn't productive and thus I locked the thread. And to be clear that was the end of it. I did not ban anyone, warn anyone, censor anyone or in any other way punish anyone I simply locked a thread that was most assuredly going to keep going further off the rails.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon