Stadiums of the Big Sky Conference

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Stadiums of the Big Sky Conference

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:29 am

I've nerded out on this guy's youtube channel for a long time. He basically does quick aerial reviews of stadiums all over the world. He finally got to the Big Sky Conference. The aerial of Bobcat Stadium (and few others) is a bit out-of-date, but oh well.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Stadiums of the Big Sky Conference

Post by coloradocat » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:31 am

Cool video. Some interesting and not so interesting stadiums.

Has anyone been to all (or most of them)? How would you rank them?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:20 am

Big Sky Stadiums I've been to, in order of preference:

1. Wa-Griz -- Sorry, it's just a damn cool place to watch the Cats win a game
2. Bobcat Stadium -- self explanatory
3. Cal Poly - As noted in the video, pretty cool architecturally plus SLO is just a great place
4. Southern Utah - Too bad they are leaving, from a road trip perspective. Nice little stadium and great trip
5. NAU - The skydome is pretty cool to see for sure
6. Weber - Nothing fancy, but it is a very functional if basic stadium
7. EWash - About the best thing I can say is that the red field isn't nearly as hard on the eyes in person as it is on tv
8. Idaho State - Such a weird concept that the field runs the wrong way. At least they replaced the concrete turf from early 2000s
9. UNCU - Ummmmmm....they serve beer at the games? Other than that I got nothing

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:27 am

It was disappointing that he didn't mention the view from Bobcat stadium when he did mention it in many other stadiums.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:04 pm

He was probably distracted by the view. 😆

GavinDonos

Post by GavinDonos » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:43 pm

To be fair to the guy, he probably only bases his reviews on the drone fly-by’s and second-hand accounts of the facilities provided by the universities themselves.

He kept on going off about how cool the CP stadium is… Spanish architecture? You mean stucco siding with clay tiles on the rooftops and some palm trees along the boulevard? Okay. The press box over the street is not a plus… seen it for myself. Great city though. I would probably put it in my top five.

MSU and UM are hands-down the top venues in the Big Sky and all he could muster was the fact that they both looked cobbled together. No frame of reference as to the history of the conference or the institutions that make it up. I’m fine with that and have no problem making that excuse on his behalf.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:49 pm

1—MSU
2—NAU
3—EWU
4—ISU
5—WSU
6—CP
7—UofI
8—CSNorthridge(way back)
9—UofM

No particular order

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:12 am

The CP stadium is really cool in person. Even more so at night. Not in our conf nut the SDSU stadium in Brookings is one of the best fcs stadiums in the country.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:55 am

kmax wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:20 am

3. Cal Poly - As noted in the video, pretty cool architecturally plus SLO is just a great place
4. Southern Utah - Too bad they are leaving, from a road trip perspective. Nice little stadium and great trip
7. EWash - About the best thing I can say is that the red field isn't nearly as hard on the eyes in person as it is on tv
8. Idaho State - Such a weird concept that the field runs the wrong way. At least they replaced the concrete turf from early 2000s
9. UNCU - Ummmmmm....they serve beer at the games? Other than that I got nothing
This is mine as well, though I might even put ISU ahead of eastern. Both crappy though.

Washington Griz is a great place for a game. And I love Poly.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:25 pm

kmax wrote:

You forgot four. Was that on purpose? Idaho Portland State sac State and UC Davis? They're not that bad, I think UNC is probably the worst

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

tdub

Post by tdub » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:53 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:25 pm
kmax wrote:

You forgot four. Was that on purpose? Idaho Portland State sac State and UC Davis? They're not that bad, I think UNC is probably the worst
He said the stadiums he’s been to

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:05 pm

This is a good exercise and the stadiums I've been to in my order of preference:

1. Wa-Griz. Although this year it doesn't look and sound like the fans are having as much fun
2. Bobcat Stadium - Experience has been fantastic and for me keeps getting better
3. Weber - I remember a great view and a pleasant game
4. Southern Utah - Cute, if you like your stadium to be "cute" then this is for you
5. UNCU - I compare it to Southern Utah but with less enthusiasm
6. Idaho - Didn't feel like football in that echo dome
7. Eastern Washington I say the field is worse in person and the view of the game was the worst

I feel a bit guilty that I haven't been to Pocatello and Flagstaff, but I have no desire to go to Portland or any of the California schools.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:05 pm

I've got to get to a lot more venues-here's where I've been:
1. Washy-griz. No objective person would rate it less. It's pretty maxed out though-the only thing left to build is the giant handle with which to flush it.
2. Providence Park-Former PSU home. If PSU played in Providence Park today it'd be No. 1 with the new 4 deck grandstand with a roof. It's absolutely magnificent. But PSU probably won't play there again-at least not regularly. I hope I can watch the Cats play Oregon State there next season-that will be very awesome.
3. Bobcat Stadium. I'm 6'5" so I'm picky about leg room. The endzone bowl where I sit is steep enough to provide a great view of the action and the people in front of me aren't sitting on my lap. Given the site situation, Bobcat Stadium has a lot of potential as it's going to be relatively easy to expand and improve.
4. Joe Albi Stadium-EWU's former home in Spokane. It wasn't a bad venue. No track. Good site lines. Nice and roomy. It's just that it was 20 miles from EWU's campus and their fans didn't go. Roos Field is better for EWU-even though it totally sucks.
5. Hillsboro Stadium. PSU's current "temporary" home. We'll see how temporary it is. I don't see any viable plans coming out of PSU. I don't hate this venue even though it's not great for PSU to play so far away from their campus. The roof on the main stand is a plus-especially this year because it was quite hot out-so the shade the roof offered was welcome. It has good leg room, good concessions, and it's kind of a cool facility with the minor league baseball park attached.
Very little separation between the last three:
6. Holt Arena. It's quirky and the roof does hold in the noise so it's always loud even with a typical ISU crowd. I've been several times and I don't think I've ever seen us lose there-so that's a bonus. I just think the dome is a giant boat anchor around ISU's neck. It's out-of-date and ugly. Pokey weather isn't that bad and scenery isn't bad outside. It would be a great place for outdoor football in the fall. They should blow up the place.
7. Nottingham Field. If UNCU put the visitors in the main stand I'd probably rate it higher than ISU. But we sat in high school type bleachers that were very cramped and it has a track. Greeley is quite boring and kinda smelly too. The main stand is nice and it is in a park-like setting I guess.
8. Roos Field. Very uncomfortable. The visitor's side is worse than most Jr. HIgh bleachers. Track. Red field. Even the main stand is very cramped-no leg room anywhere. And it's been a house of horror for MSU football so that makes me hate it even more.

seataccat

Post by seataccat » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:44 pm

kmax wrote:

UC Davis had the 3rd best stadium.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:00 pm

seataccat wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:44 pm
kmax wrote:

UC Davis had the 3rd best stadium.
Quite possible, I like the look of it but haven’t had the chance to go personally though would like to go. As I said that is my list of Big Sky stadiums I have personally been to in order of preference.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:37 pm

1. Washington-Bobcat Stadium
2. Bobcat Stadium
3. Washington-Grizzly Stadium
4. Dornblaser Field

Those are the only four I’ve been to.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber