Old Dominion joining sun belt

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Old Dominion joining sun belt

Post by allcat » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:55 pm

That whole conference seems to be ex fcs teams. The landscape is changing. I never wanted us to be fbs with no championship possibility. I'm betting there are lots of scheming going on behind the scenes. My bet is what is left of the Big sky goes to some new arraignment. The p5 are going to separate.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Re: Old Dominion joining sun belt

Post by catgrad05 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:31 pm

So what would a FBS Big Sky look like?

I think you start with Montana State, Weber State, Northern Arizona, UC Davis, South Dakota, South Dakota State, North Dakota, and North Dakota State

That's a pretty strong 8 teams that would be competitive in multiple sports with other group of 5 conferences if you where doing a breakaway new conference. Larger "state" universities and most are growing campuses and sports departments

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:07 pm

catgrad05 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:31 pm

I think you start with Montana State, Weber State, Northern Arizona, UC Davis, South Dakota, South Dakota State, North Dakota, and North Dakota State

That's a pretty strong 8 teams that would be competitive in multiple sports with other group of 5 conferences if you where doing a breakaway new conference. Larger "state" universities and most are growing campuses and sports departments
I think the Dakota's stick in the mvfc, better geography.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:17 pm

allcat wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:07 pm
catgrad05 wrote:

If we swapped out NAU and/or Davis for EWU and maybe added the Idaho schools we'd have the northern Rockies and plains covered.

Washington, Idaho, Utah, Montana, Dakotas (plus Arizona/NorCal if necessary). That's pretty compact geographically other than the fact that the Dakota schools are all on the east side of their states.

It would be hard to get the Dakotas to split from their conference though. No real reason to unless the rest of the conference wanted to stay FCS.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:40 pm

catgrad05 wrote:

LOL - I like where your head is at. :lol:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:45 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:17 pm
allcat wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:

If we swapped out NAU and/or Davis for EWU and maybe added the Idaho schools we'd have the northern Rockies and plains covered.

Washington, Idaho, Utah, Montana, Dakotas (plus Arizona/NorCal if necessary). That's pretty compact geographically other than the fact that the Dakota schools are all on the east side of their states.

It would be hard to get the Dakotas to split from their conference though. No real reason to unless the rest of the conference wanted to stay FCS.
EWU is too small both enrollment and football stadium they would be best placed with the Northern Colorados, Southern Utahs of the FCS

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:03 pm

catgrad05 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:45 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:17 pm
allcat wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:

EWU is too small both enrollment and football stadium they would be best placed with the Northern Colorados, Southern Utahs of the FCS
I would counter that the only thing missing at that program is money but then again they can't even sell out their small stadium now so I guess moving up and getting paid wouldn't bring that many more fans. I was mostly trying to find the most compact conference.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:56 am

eweU will never be able to draw a crowd. No money but a bigger deal is WSU essentially in the same town. Portland and eweU are really in the same boat, nobody locally cares.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:31 pm

Cal Poly instead of EWU.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:14 am

FCS could also lose James Madison to the Sunbelt Conference and Sam Houston State to Conference USA.

"James Madison is also expected to join the Sun Belt after its leadership on Friday approved the school exploring a move to the FBS."

"Sam Houston is the defending FCS national champion that has played in eight of the last 10 FCS playoffs and is located in Huntsville, Texas. The school left the Southland and joined the newly formed WAC in July. Sam Houston officials have long desired to move up to FBS, according to FCS sources."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -sun-belt/

On a side note. Sunbelt (once Idaho left) like Big Sky is a good name for a conference. Conference USA is not.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:07 am

So JMU sounds like they are baking the jump to FBS. Their current athletic budget is just north of $52 million. If that’s where a FBS budget is approximately any idea where MSU’s is at? I am thinking we are further away from the group of 5 than I originally thought

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:29 am

catgrad05 wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:07 am
So JMU sounds like they are baking the jump to FBS. Their current athletic budget is just north of $52 million. If that’s where a FBS budget is approximately any idea where MSU’s is at? I am thinking we are further away from the group of 5 than I originally thought
$46million of their budget comes from student fees. MSU is $2 million.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:52 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:29 am
catgrad05 wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:07 am
$46million of their budget comes from student fees. MSU is $2 million.
I was reading somewhere that fees can only make up 55% of the budget at FBS level and that will be JMUs biggest hurdle