Rolovich Terminated

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Rolovich Terminated

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:33 pm

FYI wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:06 pm
:unsure: Way back up there there was talk of perhaps Choate being a candidate for the WSU job. Is Mrs. Choate even in Texas yet? 8-[
No idea. But has to be a candidate. If he’s good enough to be the second choice at Boise, he has to at least be considered at wazzu. I would think, and I assume that is what you’re alluding to, if she is in Bozeman then that makes it that much more appealing.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:54 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:25 pm
onceacat wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:38 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:02 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:09 am
catatac wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:03 am
Maybe he's had the virus. Actually, I just thought of another possibility - maybe he's had the virus RECENTLY. If that's the case, it is highly recommended (by pretty much all experts on both sides of the natural immunity versus vaccine debate I believe) that you DO NOT get the vaccine until a certain time frame has passed. It's not safe.
Not true, the guidance now is that it's perfectly safe to get the vaccine once a person has recovered.
Interesting. I hadn't heard that. When did that come out?
I think the issue was always for the safety of the pharmacy giving the shot, unless you’ve been treated with monoclonal antibodies, in which case there are recommendations to wait 90 days.
That makes sense.

I was wondering the same the as catatac. But I’m not sure how that would work with a religious exemption.
I’m pretty sure that the monoclonal antibodies & redesivir raise the same political objections as the vaccine (obviously if the Pope says you have an obligation to get vaxxed, it’s not a religious issue at all-at least for Catholics).

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:09 am

MSU01 wrote:
catatac wrote:
Maybe he's had the virus. Actually, I just thought of another possibility - maybe he's had the virus RECENTLY. If that's the case, it is highly recommended (by pretty much all experts on both sides of the natural immunity versus vaccine debate I believe) that you DO NOT get the vaccine until a certain time frame has passed. It's not safe.
Not true, the guidance now is that it's perfectly safe to get the vaccine once a person has recovered.
The message is still mixed in health community and guidance is not uniform.

My story. I was vaccinated in March and am old enough to qualify for booster in first wave. Then I became a “Covid breakthrough” statistic in September before getting booster. I was considered a “mild case” but still it took it out of me with 3 to 4 weeks to feel great again.

So I asked when I should get the booster. I received dissimilar opinions from two different health professionals. One said I can get the booster as soon as I feel I am fully recovered and the other advised since I have what was called “hybrid immunity” now I should wait 3 to 5 months. Both of these recommendations were just last week! I called the Health Department and they were sympathetic to my divergent advice received and said their guidance wasn’t clear at this point.

I did some more reading from Kaiser Health and an article in the WSJ and their remains divergent opinions from pretty reputable organizations. As with anything this new, we will know more in the future as to right answer. I do agree with you that the medical community is advising it is now “safe” to “get the Covid booster” even with a recent breakthrough case but is it immediately needed..I’m confused. I guess best advice is to “consult you own doctor you trust” and proceed accordingly.

Bobcat4Ever

Re: Rolo out at WSU

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:29 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:09 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:48 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:07 pm
Choate would be a great hire, of course. I hope he gets it; still think sark's fate is to be fired because Texas sucks and is headed into a league with Alabama, Georgia, Lsu, a&m, plus the lane kiffin show and a Tennessee program that's likely rising. Texas is an also-ran.
Vaccine mandates are not new, they're not tyrannical, they've been part of our society and our economy for years. Can't go to school, college, most anywhere without proof of vaccination for myriad diseases. Nonsense to claim otherwise, the fact that a vaccine has become a partisan issue is peak 21st century us. We should be done with covid and have built statues to the scientists by now but here we are in good ol Montana, calling up the guard because?? :roll:
Vaccines used to be called “life-saving.” My mom was a polio survivor, fortunately leaving her with “only” a weak leg. She was thrilled when my grade school had a polio vaccination clinic, because it relieved one of the big fears of a baby-boom parent. I felt the same way when the Moderna covid vaccine was offered here. At last, we could put that fear behind us and safely resume life. So, to my feeble brain, it’s all a head-scratcher. If Nick Rolovich came forward and spoke publicly about his stand, I’ve not heard it. I’d like to hear him speak to it because, as I tried to state earlier but did not word well, he must have pretty strong personal convictions about getting vaccinated to give up a lifetime income.
Yes, obviously he does have strong convictions on vaccination. What that is based on I've not heard. Someone mentioned that "natural antibodies" are just as good or better than a vaccine. Okay, did/does he have antibodies because he survived a bout of CV19? If so, he should be free to coach IMO. But, if he doesn't, his responsibility as a coach is to his team, his institution that hired him, his state and nation. If, as he has done, he refuses to not get it for whatever reason, he must step down. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

I remember, I was a freshman at MSU in 1976 and H1N1 was making the rounds so we all were told to report to the field house, stand in line and get the shot. We did...no complaints, glad to have it, and easily enjoyed the remainder of my life to date. We're living in an age where the death of the collective conscience has taken hold and "I don't care...it's about me" has taken strong root. Take a stand, okay, but live with it and the consequences either way!
Well, glad to meet you! It sounds like my wife and I (I was in my fourth year working at MSU) shared that long north sidewalk stretching toward Grant St. and Gaines Hall with you. Funny if you were someone we chatted with in line. The same sidewalk we used to wait on for arena registration — nobody really complained, it was just how it was done. Now if there’s a line of three people at a window the President’s Office gets a call from an irate parent.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:33 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:51 am
Thanks. But I don’t know why the original poster thinks his racial background is important to the story.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:42 am

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:40 am
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:23 am
Reading through this thread a little more, i still think the arguments against getting the covid vaccine are exceedingly weak, especially the natural immunity argument. According to the Nebraska school of medicine:
-One-third of covid infections provide no protective antibodies
- natural immunity fades faster than that from the vaccine
- natural immunity alone is less than half as effective as natural+vaccination.
The Israeli study on natural immunity was full of errors. This actually does get to a problem of our time, though, one that has reared up a lot regarding covid and given people tons of reasons to be confused: science and information changing in real-time. We share information so quickly now that most of the population heard fauci say early on that masks weren't going to be necessary, and had that as the baseline when we learned more about the level of transmissibility and the speed at which it was going to race through the population, which made masks an indicated public health tool a couple months later. Israel puts out a study touting natural immunity; later most other studies show it fading way faster than that induced by a vaccine. It's legitimately confusing even for those following along trying to make the best decisions for their family, and it really provides ammo for those looking to back their political position. Somewhere along the way there's been a fact to cherry-pick for every occasion.
Anyway, back to the topic, hoping for choate at wsu, he got jobbed at boise imo.
I guess it depends on your source and what you "want" to believe based on your political point of view.

Project Veritas has a guy from big Pharma admitting on hidden camera that people with natural immunity have more anti bodies than vaxxed people.
Here's an article that says the same thing, though they still recommend the vax.
https://www.science.org/content/article ... ains-vital
I have a good friend who works for a hospital (member of administration) who got Covid almost a year ago. In her words “It really kicked my butt.” Then she got fully vaccinated (I don’t remember which type). In August she got sick and she had Delta. Another 10-day isolation. There are a lot of these cases where Delta is concentrated. My cousin (fully vaccinated) went into a different hospital in August for a triple bypass. Got tested before rehab, and he had Delta. Fortunately survived, but he spent two extra weeks in the hospital.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:04 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:09 am
MSU01 wrote:
catatac wrote:
The message is still mixed in health community and guidance is not uniform.

My story. I was vaccinated in March and am old enough to qualify for booster in first wave. Then I became a “Covid breakthrough” statistic in September before getting booster. I was considered a “mild case” but still it took it out of me with 3 to 4 weeks to feel great again.

So I asked when I should get the booster. I received dissimilar opinions from two different health professionals. One said I can get the booster as soon as I feel I am fully recovered and the other advised since I have what was called “hybrid immunity” now I should wait 3 to 5 months. Both of these recommendations were just last week! I called the Health Department and they were sympathetic to my divergent advice received and said their guidance wasn’t clear at this point.

I did some more reading from Kaiser Health and an article in the WSJ and their remains divergent opinions from pretty reputable organizations. As with anything this new, we will know more in the future as to right answer. I do agree with you that the medical community is advising it is now “safe” to “get the Covid booster” even with a recent breakthrough case but is it immediately needed..I’m confused. I guess best advice is to “consult you own doctor you trust” and proceed accordingly.
I see your point, although I was referring to the CDC guidance for unvaccinated people and not those who are fully vaccinated but now eligible for a booster shot - in that case, I'm sure it is more complicated. Either way it's a moot point here, as Rolovich had been coaching through the first two months of the season and clearly had not had a recent case of Covid as the original comment speculated he may have.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:13 am

The history of the anti-vax movement is interesting to read up on.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:16 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:13 am
I've now gotten all three shots, had the covid. My brother in law and wife are older than me, unvaccinated, he thinks I got it from being vaxed. I think he is crazy, but if he wants to be unvaxed, it's his business. I see this the same as all these other deals, some try to shame you because you are following what you believe instead of the vocal crowd. If you are short of medical personnel, should you fire some because they are unvaxed?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:42 am

The "natural immunity" excuse for not getting vaccinated is falling pretty flat. A lot of us know people that are both vaccinated and unvaccinated that have had COVID twice, and now research out of Yale is saying unvaccinated people should expect to get COVID every 16 months.

For business/organizational continuity, it is pretty tough to lose a staff member 10+ days about once a year. For a college football team; losing a coach(es) for 2 of your 11 or 12 games is pretty tough.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/we ... atch-covid

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:29 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:42 am
The "natural immunity" excuse for not getting vaccinated is falling pretty flat. A lot of us know people that are both vaccinated and unvaccinated that have had COVID twice, and now research out of Yale is saying unvaccinated people should expect to get COVID every 16 months.

For business/organizational continuity, it is pretty tough to lose a staff member 10+ days about once a year. For a college football team; losing a coach(es) for 2 of your 11 or 12 games is pretty tough.

There are a lot of studies out there that will say pretty much anything someone is looking for to back up a point. My main gripe on all of this is that a lot of the "experts" are NOT considering natural immunity from having the virus. The data I really would love to see, but it's almost impossible to find if it even exists..... is how many people that are getting very sick, hospitalized, or even dying HAVE HAD COVID ALREADY? And, how long ago did they have it? I literally do not know one person that has had COVID twice, as far as I know.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:56 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:33 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:51 am
Thanks. But I don’t know why the original poster thinks his racial background is important to the story.
That is a great observation. I have no idea what the AD being Asian has to do with the whole issue. And Chapman is an outspoken liberal who is supposed to be pushing for equality. Yet one of his first observations is that the AD is Asian??? WTF?

This whole situation is politically driven.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:40 pm

catatac wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:29 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:42 am

There are a lot of studies out there that will say pretty much anything someone is looking for to back up a point. My main gripe on all of this is that a lot of the "experts" are NOT considering natural immunity from having the virus. The data I really would love to see, but it's almost impossible to find if it even exists..... is how many people that are getting very sick, hospitalized, or even dying HAVE HAD COVID ALREADY? And, how long ago did they have it? I literally do not know one person that has had COVID twice, as far as I know.
You can get tested for antibodies. In fact, I think it might be free when you donate blood. A friend of mine had Covid and was tested for antibodies three or four months later and there was no sign. Her doctor told her that was likely because she had a very mild case.

I have another friend who had Covid, got a vaxx, and then got Covid again.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:46 pm

My wife is a nurse. Knows quite a few people who have gotten COVID twice. It certainly happens.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:58 pm

At the end of the day, the people who are getting fired for refusing the vax, will still be unvaxxed. Society gains nothing by firing them, in fact it'll be worse off in the middle of a labor shortage. Maybe ten to twenty percent of nurses, police and first responders, truck drivers, teachers, ​airline pilots, etc etc will be fired over this.

I wish our leaders would find a better way to encourage folks to get the vax than threatening to destroy their careers and livelihoods. A mandate (and forcing employers to enforce it for you) is the wrong way to go IMHO.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:14 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:58 pm
At the end of the day, the people who are getting fired for refusing the vax, will still be unvaxxed. Society gains nothing by firing them, in fact it'll be worse off in the middle of a labor shortage. Maybe ten to twenty percent of nurses, police and first responders, truck drivers, teachers, ​airline pilots, etc etc will be fired over this.

I wish our leaders would find a better way to encourage folks to get the vax than threatening to destroy their careers and livelihoods. A mandate (and forcing employers to enforce it for you) is the wrong way to go IMHO.
What do you think would be the best strategy for encouraging vaccination that hasn’t been tried. I’m still stumped that keeping your self and your family/friends from dying isn’t good enough.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:52 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:14 pm
91catAlum wrote:

What do you think would be the best strategy for encouraging vaccination that hasn’t been tried. I’m still stumped that keeping your self and your family/friends from dying isn’t good enough.
I mostly agree with that reason, as I'm vaxxed. I just don't agree with the mandate.

Some states and organizations have done vaccine lotteries, we could try that. We could do some sort of federal financial incentive or tax incentive. Or at the very least, give people the option of either get vaxxed or you have to show up every Monday morning with a negative covid test, as opposed to firing them. I think weekly tests would be a big enough pain in the neck that a lot of people would just opt for the vax.

I simply do not feel good about a country who will force an employer to fire a pregnant woman who isn't comfortable getting the vax right now for example.
Surely there are better ways.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:01 pm

allcat wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:16 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:13 am
I've now gotten all three shots, had the covid. My brother in law and wife are older than me, unvaccinated, he thinks I got it from being vaxed. I think he is crazy, but if he wants to be unvaxed, it's his business. I see this the same as all these other deals, some try to shame you because you are following what you believe instead of the vocal crowd. If you are short of medical personnel, should you fire some because they are unvaxed?
I personally don't care if a person decides to get the jab or not. But I 100% believe that I have the right to insist that my employees get vaccinated. And I 100% believe that a state agency has an obligation to its taxpayers to ensure that tax funded employees are vaccinated, simply for basic fiscal responsibility.

And every time an unvaccinated doctor or nurse quits, I literally cheer. Because none of us want doctors and nurses that criminally negligent caring for our loved ones.

If they don't believe in the science behind the vaccinations, what other rules are they ignoring behind our backs. Call it a silver lining.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:04 pm

91catAlum wrote:

Its more like 1-2%.

And, lets face it, who wants a doctor that doesn't believe in science.

Good riddance as far as I'm concerned.

Also, probably worth noting that all those first responders/teachers/doctors/truck drivers/etc have had to be vaccinated dozens of times in their life prior to now. No reason to change 200 years of American history, jurisprudence, and common sense just because 1-2% of people want to fight a culture war.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:06 pm

HelenaCat wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:46 pm
My wife is a nurse. Knows quite a few people who have gotten COVID twice. It certainly happens.
I have heard of it happening, but I've never heard of a severe 2nd case of Covid. If anybody has any data on this that would be awesome!

Great time to be a BOBCAT!