Eastern DESTROYED Idaho ++ 71-21

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

FYI
BobcatNation Letterman

Eastern DESTROYED Idaho ++ 71-21

Post by FYI » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:49 pm

I'll tell you, the EWU coaches are hard-core. Barriere was still throwing passes at the 13:13 mark of the 4th quarter. It was at that point he changed it from 57 to 64.
Maybe they just hate Idaho. In any case opponent defenses better know they better play their asses off because the Eags starters aren't coming out any time soon.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Re: Eastern DESTROYED Idaho ++ 71-21

Post by catatac » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:45 pm

FYI wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:49 pm
I'll tell you, the EWU coaches are hard-core. Barriere was still throwing passes at the 13:13 mark of the 4th quarter. It was at that point he changed it from 57 to 64.
Maybe they just hate Idaho. In any case opponent defenses better know they better play their asses off because the Eags starters aren't coming out any time soon.
Sounds like EWU pulled the starters too soon against Western IL, almost lost that game and ended up winning 62 to 56. I think they're damn sure not going to make that mistake again.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:14 pm

I didn’t watch the game, but had to wonder if they’re running up the score on purpose.

Not sure what purpose - setting records, national attention, polls, punishing Idaho for leaving the Big Sky, or humbling/humiliating Paul P. (if that were possible). I dunno

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:59 pm

JDoub wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:14 pm
I didn’t watch the game, but had to wonder if they’re running up the score on purpose.

Not sure what purpose - setting records, national attention, polls, punishing Idaho for leaving the Big Sky, or humbling/humiliating Paul P. (if that were possible). I dunno
Most of the computer ranking algorithms take margin of victory into account.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:02 am

catatac wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:45 pm
FYI wrote:
Sounds like EWU pulled the starters too soon against Western IL, almost lost that game and ended up winning 62 to 56. I think they're damn sure not going to make that mistake again.
The Eagles weren't ever in any danger of losing that game.

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:09 am

Best must really want the Payton award for Barrierre.

I really like that Vigen rotates guys in so that we can build depth.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:13 am

I'm always happy to see Paul P. get embarrassed.

marceag
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by marceag » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:30 am

FYI wrote:
EWU started the 4th qtr with a 3rd & 34…you don’t bring in a backup for that situation. Eastern converted and then scored a couple plays later and pulled everyone…

GavinDonos
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GavinDonos » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:56 am

Eastern is basically a four year juco that is going to be able to land certain athletes and keep them eligible in the classroom. That isn’t breaking news by any means. For that reason alone they will get a lot of seasonal talent.

All of that on-field success, along with their gimmicks, and they still rarely cap out an 8,000 seat stadium. That tells you how highly the greater Spokane area and their alumni base GAF. I’ve seen online universities draw more fans to a Tuesday night pickle ball match.

Hopefully we can keep ‘em under 50…

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:43 am

I am always amazed at the high level athletes they attract. I do think they are able to sign lot of marginal academic students because their curriculum is easier. Trivia question: What high school QB was being recruited to EWU but the Eagles decided to sign Eric Barrierre instead? That recruit ended up signing at MSU….

It was Chris Murray. If EWU had signed Chris Murray, would he have been able to stay academically eligible? Maybe…

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:09 pm

GavinDonos wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:56 am
Eastern is basically a four year juco that is going to be able to land certain athletes and keep them eligible in the classroom. That isn’t breaking news by any means. For that reason alone they will get a lot of seasonal talent.

All of that on-field success, along with their gimmicks, and they still rarely cap out an 8,000 seat stadium. That tells you how highly the greater Spokane area and their alumni base GAF. I’ve seen online universities draw more fans to a Tuesday night pickle ball match.

I’ve heard this a bunch…no idea of it’s true or not.

But it’s really tough for a FB player to lose eligibility at MSU. Basically impossible if he goes to class. You can probably count on one hand the number of profs willing to flunk an athlete who puts in a reasonable effort.

I can’t really fathom how it’s somehow easier anywhere else.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:14 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:09 pm
GavinDonos wrote:

But it’s really tough for a FB player to lose eligibility at MSU. Basically impossible if he goes to class. You can probably count on one hand the number of profs willing to flunk an athlete who puts in a reasonable effort.

ESPN is saying that the NCAA may be eliminating the act sat test requirements for athletes. I think that is a very very bad idea

GavinDonos

Post by GavinDonos » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:19 pm

onceacat wrote:

The first time I heard about the EWU situation was from Mike Kramer, who oddly enough also had his career cut short at MSU in part because of players who didn’t meet up to APS standards, which had much more to do than just showing up in a classroom.

Are you saying that our athletes get a passing grade at MSU based on class attendance? That certainly wasn’t the case when I played college baseball at UND back in the day. You had to have minimum credits and GPA per semester to survive.

My anecdotal evidence, both general and personal, comes from the beginnings of the 21st century, so I fully admit that things could be different now.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:51 pm

onceacat wrote:
GavinDonos wrote:

I have heard of multiple examples of players across our MSU athletes not being allowed to play until they met academics standards or got their grades back up. The most notable high profile case is Chris Murray already mentioned above….not too many teams I have seen are willing to part with a starting QB due to academic struggles but maybe I am out of touch.

I also know the school is willing to help with tutoring and some teams have been provided resources to study or participate when on the road.

You may be correct….but I just don’t believe our current administration from Cruzado to Costello would buy into your argument about athletes at MSU basically getting a “free pass”.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:17 pm

I’d say it’s a very high percentage of college students in general who will pass if they show to class. When you show up you retain some portion of the lecture and if you are showing up it’s also likely you are doing the required work.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:46 pm

Some of EWU's stats from that game are just off the charts. They had 837 yards of total offense. Barriere threw for 600 yards on only 35 attempts, which is 17 yards per attempt, plus they had over 200 yards rushing. They had three receivers with more than 100 yards, Roberson had almost 200, and Merritt had over 100 on just 3 catches. We have a really good defense this year, but the EWU offense is going to be quite a challenge. It should be a very interesting game when we play them in Cheney.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:33 pm

marceag wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:30 am
FYI wrote:
EWU started the 4th qtr with a 3rd & 34…you don’t bring in a backup for that situation.
When you’re up 43 in the 4th quarter maybe you do… :lol:

marceag
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by marceag » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:36 pm

GavinDonos wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:19 pm
onceacat wrote:

The first time I heard about the EWU situation was from Mike Kramer, who oddly enough also had his career cut short at MSU in part because of players who didn’t meet up to APS standards, which had much more to do than just showing up in a classroom.

Are you saying that our athletes get a passing grade at MSU based on class attendance? That certainly wasn’t the case when I played college baseball at UND back in the day. You had to have minimum credits and GPA per semester to survive.

My anecdotal evidence, both general and personal, comes from the beginnings of the 21st century, so I fully admit that things could be different now.
You think the likes of Cooper Kupp, Bo Levi Mitchell and Eric Barriere couldn’t make it at MSU. Is there a starter at EWU now that wouldn’t be admitted to MSU??? MSU is a great academic university but your original post lacks class…

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:47 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:51 pm
onceacat wrote:
GavinDonos wrote:

I have heard of multiple examples of players across our MSU athletes not being allowed to play until they met academics standards or got their grades back up. The most notable high profile case is Chris Murray already mentioned above….not too many teams I have seen are willing to part with a starting QB due to academic struggles but maybe I am out of touch.

I also know the school is willing to help with tutoring and some teams have been provided resources to study or participate when on the road.

You may be correct….but I just don’t believe our current administration from Cruzado to Costello would buy into your argument about athletes at MSU basically getting a “free pass”.
I’m not saying “free pass”. I’m saying that 9 out of 10 profs bend over backwards to work with coaches to avoid DQ ing athletes. FWIW, they offer the same sort of accommodations to most any student who shows any level of “give a ******”.

And obviously, student-athletes have access to tutoring & academic support that no else gets.

You have to work to flunk out.

GavinDonos

Post by GavinDonos » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:56 pm

marceag wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:36 pm
GavinDonos wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:19 pm
onceacat wrote:

You think the likes of Cooper Kupp, Bo Levi Mitchell and Eric Barriere couldn’t make it at MSU. Is there a starter at EWU now that wouldn’t be admitted to MSU??? MSU is a great academic university but your original post lacks class…
There are several examples, and I don’t like to name names. We’ve got several examples on our side too, and I won’t name names.

If anyone cares to stack up academic all Americans from the Big Sky schools over the last 10, 20, 50 years, that might set the record straight….