Eastern DESTROYED Idaho ++ 71-21

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Eastern DESTROYED Idaho ++ 71-21

Post by onceacat » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:25 pm

GavinDonos wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:56 pm
marceag wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:36 pm
GavinDonos wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:19 pm
onceacat wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:09 pm
I’ve heard this a bunch…no idea of it’s true or not.

But it’s really tough for a FB player to lose eligibility at MSU. Basically impossible if he goes to class. You can probably count on one hand the number of profs willing to flunk an athlete who puts in a reasonable effort.

I can’t really fathom how it’s somehow easier anywhere else.
The first time I heard about the EWU situation was from Mike Kramer, who oddly enough also had his career cut short at MSU in part because of players who didn’t meet up to APS standards, which had much more to do than just showing up in a classroom.

Are you saying that our athletes get a passing grade at MSU based on class attendance? That certainly wasn’t the case when I played college baseball at UND back in the day. You had to have minimum credits and GPA per semester to survive.

My anecdotal evidence, both general and personal, comes from the beginnings of the 21st century, so I fully admit that things could be different now.
You think the likes of Cooper Kupp, Bo Levi Mitchell and Eric Barriere couldn’t make it at MSU. Is there a starter at EWU now that wouldn’t be admitted to MSU??? MSU is a great academic university but your original post lacks class…
There are several examples, and I don’t like to name names. We’ve got several examples on our side too, and I won’t name names.

If anyone cares to stack up academic all Americans from the Big Sky schools over the last 10, 20, 50 years, that might set the record straight….
MSU is a Tier 2 research institution and the flagship U of its state. EWU is a regional college. It would be pretty shocking for MSU (and UM) to NOT have more academic All-Americans.

But that doesn't mean that the minimum standards to compete are any different. MSU requires a 2.5 GPA in high school for admission. (MSU also allows all sorts of exemptions for minimum entry requirements) The NCAA requires a recruit to have a 2.3 High School GPA to attend freshman practices.

I have a hard time imagining that EWU recruits a boatload of talent that falls between that 2.3 NCAA minimum and the 2.5 MSU minimum.

But, yes. MSU has a higher top end on the academic scales.

marceag
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by marceag » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:35 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:25 pm
GavinDonos wrote:
marceag wrote:
GavinDonos wrote:
onceacat wrote:

But it’s really tough for a FB player to lose eligibility at MSU. Basically impossible if he goes to class. You can probably count on one hand the number of profs willing to flunk an athlete who puts in a reasonable effort.

The first time I heard about the EWU situation was from Mike Kramer, who oddly enough also had his career cut short at MSU in part because of players who didn’t meet up to APS standards, which had much more to do than just showing up in a classroom.

Are you saying that our athletes get a passing grade at MSU based on class attendance? That certainly wasn’t the case when I played college baseball at UND back in the day. You had to have minimum credits and GPA per semester to survive.

My anecdotal evidence, both general and personal, comes from the beginnings of the 21st century, so I fully admit that things could be different now.
You think the likes of Cooper Kupp, Bo Levi Mitchell and Eric Barriere couldn’t make it at MSU. Is there a starter at EWU now that wouldn’t be admitted to MSU??? MSU is a great academic university but your original post lacks class…
There are several examples, and I don’t like to name names. We’ve got several examples on our side too, and I won’t name names.

If anyone cares to stack up academic all Americans from the Big Sky schools over the last 10, 20, 50 years, that might set the record straight….
MSU is a Tier 2 research institution and the flagship U of its state. EWU is a regional college. It would be pretty shocking for MSU (and UM) to NOT have more academic All-Americans.

But that doesn't mean that the minimum standards to compete are any different. MSU requires a 2.5 GPA in high school for admission. (MSU also allows all sorts of exemptions for minimum entry requirements) The NCAA requires a recruit to have a 2.3 High School GPA to attend freshman practices.

I have a hard time imagining that EWU recruits a boatload of talent that falls between that 2.3 NCAA minimum and the 2.5 MSU minimum.

This is exactly correct…no one is arguing that MSU is a better academic university, that’s pretty clear…

Gavin’s argument is probably regarding a handful of players over the past 2 decades, his original post was in poor taste…

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:07 pm

marceag wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:35 pm
onceacat wrote:
GavinDonos wrote:
marceag wrote:
GavinDonos wrote:
onceacat wrote:

This is exactly correct…no one is arguing that MSU is a better academic university, that’s pretty clear…

Gavin’s argument is probably regarding a handful of players over the past 2 decades, his original post was in poor taste…
Agreed: it seems like he’s making an accusation that there are a bunch of impact players on the Eagles who couldn’t meet MSUs 2.5 entry standards.

For the record,I think MSU should be rightfully proud of its APRs & 5 year graduation rates. I don’t think we need to bag on EWU to do so.

You guys recruit an absurd level of talent in probably the 2nd hardest place to recruit in the conference.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:53 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:07 pm
marceag wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:35 pm
onceacat wrote:
GavinDonos wrote:
marceag wrote:
GavinDonos wrote:
onceacat wrote:

Agreed: it seems like he’s making an accusation that there are a bunch of impact players on the Eagles who couldn’t meet MSUs 2.5 entry standards.

For the record,I think MSU should be rightfully proud of its APRs & 5 year graduation rates. I don’t think we need to bag on EWU to do so.

You guys recruit an absurd level of talent in probably the 2nd hardest place to recruit in the conference.
Geezus guys. Some recruits will want to go to EWU because it is not as academically challenging as MSU. It is not that complicated.

DMMDCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DMMDCats » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:46 am

marceag wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:30 am
FYI wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:49 pm
I'll tell you, the EWU coaches are hard-core. Barriere was still throwing passes at the 13:13 mark of the 4th quarter. It was at that point he changed it from 57 to 64.
Maybe they just hate Idaho. In any case opponent defenses better know they better play their asses off because the Eags starters aren't coming out any time soon.
EWU started the 4th qtr with a 3rd & 34…you don’t bring in a backup for that situation. Eastern converted and then scored a couple plays later and pulled everyone…

Yes, you do if you have any sense of sportsmanship.

The game wasn’t close. Just running up the score and stats to impress “voters”.

Impressive

Have a wonderful day!!

GavinDonos
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GavinDonos » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:22 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:53 pm

Geezus guys. Some recruits will want to go to EWU because it is not as academically challenging as MSU. It is not that complicated.
Perhaps I should’ve boiled down my original point to read like that. I truly appreciate the dose of eloquence. EWU has different dynamics, different standards, a completely different campus experience than the rest of the Big Sky, not just MSU. Heck, everyone used to say that same thing about Boise State 40 years ago… they turned out okay.

I’ll admit that I fully threw shade with intention. Then “feels” got involved, and that is an important consideration that shouldn’t be taken lightly. Bad form on my part. I’m not a feely guy, and I apologize unreservedly for not respecting EWU’s student athletes.

Take my original statement and post it on the EWU message board Marceag. I’ll take full responsibility for my lack of class, abundance of bad taste, and the Eagles’ vengeful retribution when they roll the ‘Cats by 3+ touchdowns… on the inferno… in Cheney.

marceag
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by marceag » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:44 am

DMMDCats wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:46 am
marceag wrote:
FYI wrote:
I'll tell you, the EWU coaches are hard-core. Barriere was still throwing passes at the 13:13 mark of the 4th quarter. It was at that point he changed it from 57 to 64.
Maybe they just hate Idaho. In any case opponent defenses better know they better play their asses off because the Eags starters aren't coming out any time soon.
EWU started the 4th qtr with a 3rd & 34…you don’t bring in a backup for that situation. Eastern converted and then scored a couple plays later and pulled everyone…

Impressive
Haha…watch the play, Eastern threw a screen pass, they didn’t launch it down the field…my goodness.

And you do need to impress voters because right now the difference between EWU and NDSU is razor thin, and you’d much rather play that semifinal game in Cheney than Fargo…

marceag
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by marceag » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:45 am

GavinDonos wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:22 am
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:53 pm

Perhaps I should’ve boiled down my original point to read like that. I truly appreciate the dose of eloquence. EWU has different dynamics, different standards, a completely different campus experience than the rest of the Big Sky, not just MSU. Heck, everyone used to say that same thing about Boise State 40 years ago… they turned out okay.

I’ll admit that I fully threw shade with intention. Then “feels” got involved, and that is an important consideration that shouldn’t be taken lightly. Bad form on my part. I’m not a feely guy, and I apologize unreservedly for not respecting EWU’s student athletes.

Take my original statement and post it on the EWU message board Marceag. I’ll take full responsibility for my lack of class, abundance of bad taste, and the Eagles’ vengeful retribution when they roll the ‘Cats by 3+ touchdowns… on the inferno… in Cheney.
Nah….this post makes up for it. I’m actually a big fan of MSU, but I’ll defend EWU when I can. Good luck the rest of the way, except on 11/6…

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:00 pm

marceag wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:44 am
DMMDCats wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:46 am
marceag wrote:
FYI wrote:

Impressive
Haha…watch the play, Eastern threw a screen pass, they didn’t launch it down the field…my goodness.

And you do need to impress voters because right now the difference between EWU and NDSU is razor thin, and you’d much rather play that semifinal game in Cheney than Fargo…
100% true. Look at how all the Cat posters made fun of EWU for letting WIU score bunches in garbage time.

I’m no Eagles fan, but I feel bad. If you keep playing you have no class & run up the score. But if you play your scrubs, you are obviously a weak and/or overrated team.

But I’m counting on the Cats making the home field in the semis moot for you guys.

DMMDCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DMMDCats » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:51 pm

@marceag

How do I watch the play? Not on ESPN+. Could not find it on Root either.

I understand. My apologies as I did not understand that EWU running up the score was really to help the other teams. My bad, I’m an ass(changing them to $ don’t make any diff). My bad.

I think you’re saying that it would be best that MSU just win in Cheney in November. Agreed. It should be a fun one.

That’s why they play the games.

Best of luck next week.

Can both bbq/ewoo lose?

Have a wonderful day!!