FCS Oct 16

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: FCS Oct 16

Post by onceacat » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:14 pm

Cledus wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:07 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:31 am
catgrad05 wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:15 am
CatBot wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:11 am
91catAlum wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:06 am
catatac wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:08 pm
RickRund wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:22 pm
Thought it was a bad spot too... Munchie doing good out there...
Yep, I'm happy for him - that he did what he thought was best for him. But man, you'd wonder if he is second guessing his decision as he could be playing for a championship caliber team right now. MSU is, SAC is not.
You sure about that? Sac looked pretty good today and only has Davis left for tough games remaining this season. It's very possible they go unbeaten in conference if they get by Davis.

It's not easy to win in Missoula. They're for real.
Sac has won something like 13 out of their last 14 conference games including wins at Bozeman and Missoula. Other than Davis, they will roll the through the rest of the conference season.
Where did their head coach come from? He seems really good
Made his name as high school coach in Sacramento area. Perfect fit for Sac State. Knows the recruiting area well.
I believe you are thinking of someone else. Taylor was the Utah Utes OC before becoming the Sac head coach. Before that, he was the OC for Eastern Washington.
You are both correct. But he’s a total rockstar. He’s coached 3 college QBs. One won the Walter Payton award before getting benched in favor of Eric Barriere. Basically the best single season QB in EWU history. One was 1st team all Pac 12. The next was 1st team all BSC in a year that Sac won the conference championship.

Also I think was national coach of the year in 2019.

Sac State is for real.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:11 pm
Cledus wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:07 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:31 am
catgrad05 wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:15 am
CatBot wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
catatac wrote:
RickRund wrote:
Yep, I'm happy for him - that he did what he thought was best for him. But man, you'd wonder if he is second guessing his decision as he could be playing for a championship caliber team right now. MSU is, SAC is not.
You sure about that? Sac looked pretty good today and only has Davis left for tough games remaining this season. It's very possible they go unbeaten in conference if they get by Davis.

Sac has won something like 13 out of their last 14 conference games including wins at Bozeman and Missoula. Other than Davis, they will roll the through the rest of the conference season.
Where did their head coach come from? He seems really good
Made his name as high school coach in Sacramento area. Perfect fit for Sac State. Knows the recruiting area well.
I believe you are thinking of someone else. Taylor was the Utah Utes OC before becoming the Sac head coach. Before that, he was the OC for Eastern Washington.
He actually spent 15 years as a high school head coach in the Sacramento area before those 3 years at EWU and Utah.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Ta ... _football)
Midas Touch. Every QB he touches turns into an All American.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:29 pm

91catAlum wrote:
catatac wrote:
RickRund wrote:

I'm not SURE about it, but I feel that MSU is a better team, and we go deeper in the playoffs.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:38 pm

catatac wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:29 pm
91catAlum wrote:
catatac wrote:
RickRund wrote:

I'm not SURE about it, but I feel that MSU is a better team, and we go deeper in the playoffs.
I agree with your playoff angle, but from the standpoint of winning the conference, we want Sac to lose a game somewhere. Hopefully Davis can take them down, otherwise I think they run the table.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:44 pm

CatBot wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
catatac wrote:
RickRund wrote:

I just looked it up. Weber has more conference losses this month than Sac has in 2 seasons. Sac is 4-0 against UM, MSU, and EWU in the stretch.

Weber is 1-3 against those teams (soon to be 1-4). Sac State has won 13 straight conference games…

And for some reason people on this board think that Weber is quality & Sac is junk.

People give Weber way too much credit for beating up on the little sisters of the poor in the fake spring season.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:29 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:44 pm
CatBot wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
catatac wrote:
RickRund wrote:

I just looked it up. Weber has more conference losses this month than Sac has in 2 seasons. Sac is 4-0 against UM, MSU, and EWU in the stretch.

Weber is 1-3 against those teams (soon to be 1-4). Sac State has won 13 straight conference games…

And for some reason people on this board think that Weber is quality & Sac is junk.

People give Weber way too much credit for beating up on the little sisters of the poor in the fake spring season.
Perhaps because Weber wins games in the playoffs including a trip to the semis in 2019, and Sac embarrasses the conference with humiliating loses in the playoffs (i.e. 2019).

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:45 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:38 pm
catatac wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:29 pm
91catAlum wrote:
catatac wrote:
RickRund wrote:

I agree with your playoff angle, but from the standpoint of winning the conference, we want Sac to lose a game somewhere. Hopefully Davis can take them down, otherwise I think they run the table.
Gotchya, I agree. I was more thinking about which team has a legit shot at a national title this year... Cats do, Sac does not.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:40 pm

CatBot wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:29 pm
onceacat wrote:
CatBot wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
catatac wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Perhaps because Weber wins games in the playoffs including a trip to the semis in 2019, and Sac embarrasses the conference with humiliating loses in the playoffs (i.e. 2019).
Yep. Weber made the semis in the fake non season of spring ‘21 with no MT & no Cali schools. They are 2-5 in their last 7 games, but people still think that’s somehow impressive.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:03 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:40 pm
CatBot wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CatBot wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
catatac wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Yep. Weber made the semis in the fake non season of spring ‘21 with no MT & no Cali schools. They are 2-5 in their last 7 games, but people still think that’s somehow impressive.
Weber has only won the last 4 conference championships. They have 4 losses this year, all to ranked opponents: FCS #2, #5, #9 and FBS #20. Next week they take on #2 EWU.

Sac State does have an impressive win over possibly the worst FCS team Dixie State 19-7. They also have a blowout win over hapless Idaho State 23-21. That is quite the resume this year! #sarcastic

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:12 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:03 pm
onceacat wrote:
CatBot wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CatBot wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
catatac wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Weber has only won the last 4 conference championships. They have 4 losses this year, all to ranked opponents: FCS #2, #5, #9 and FBS #20. Next week they take on #2 EWU.

Sac State does have an impressive win over possibly the worst FCS team Dixie State 19-7. They also have a blowout win over hapless Idaho State 23-21. That is quite the resume this year! #sarcastic
Not to get TOO snarky...but who did Weber State beat this year? Dixie State? Congrats to Weber on their big win, I guess? Webers other win? 1-5 Cal Poly?

And Sac State beat the Idaho team that beat the Davis team that beat Weber...

I mean, I give Weber a ton of credit for playing a tough schedule....but they LOST all those games. And beat Dixie State. ](*,)

Yes, Weber State has a really nice streak over the last 4 years. And have proven beyond a shadow of a reasonable doubt that they just aren't that good this year. I'd put cash money that they get blown out next week. And that if Josh Davis doesn't return, they finish with a losing record.

And, as I pointed out, Sac is 4-0 against UM, MSU, and EWU in the last 2 seasons (3 of those with UM or MSU in the Top 6, 3 wins on the road). Weber is 0-5 against the last 5 ranked teams they played. Throw in the Austin Peay game, and Sac is still 5-1 against ranked teams in the last 2 seasons.

Weber just ins't that good this year.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:41 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:12 pm
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CatBot wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CatBot wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
catatac wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Not to get TOO snarky...but who did Weber State beat this year? Dixie State? Congrats to Weber on their big win, I guess? Webers other win? 1-5 Cal Poly?

I mean, I give Weber a ton of credit for playing a tough schedule....but they LOST all those games. And beat Dixie State. ](*,)

Yes, Weber State has a really nice streak over the last 4 years. And have proven beyond a shadow of a reasonable doubt that they just aren't that good this year. I'd put cash money that they get blown out next week. And that if Josh Davis doesn't return, they finish with a losing record.

And, as I pointed out, Sac is 4-0 against UM, MSU, and EWU in the last 2 seasons (3 of those with UM or MSU in the Top 6, 3 wins on the road). Weber is 0-5 against the last 5 ranked teams they played. Throw in the Austin Peay game, and Sac is still 5-1 against ranked teams in the last 2 seasons.

Ok then let's look at EWU. Who have they beat?
They beat a bad UNLV team in OT. But still, an FBS win.
They beat a ranked (but overrated) griz team by 6 at home, but just by a dropped near-TD pass at the end.
Their other wins are all against unranked teams and a D2 school.

Weber lost to Utah, a much tougher game than UNLV.
They didn't play a D2 game.
Their losses are to #3 JMU, #9 MSU by 6 points, and #12 UC Davis by 3 points.

You're right that Weber isn't as good as years past. But they are not a bad team. With those close losses to top 12 teams, they deserve to be ranked around #20.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:35 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:41 pm
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CatBot wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CatBot wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
catatac wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Ok then let's look at EWU. Who have they beat?
They beat a bad UNLV team in OT. But still, an FBS win.
They beat a ranked (but overrated) griz team by 6 at home, but just by a dropped near-TD pass at the end.
Their other wins are all against unranked teams and a D2 school.

Weber lost to Utah, a much tougher game than UNLV.
They didn't play a D2 game.
Their losses are to #3 JMU, #9 MSU by 6 points, and #12 UC Davis by 3 points.

You're right that Weber isn't as good as years past. But they are not a bad team. With those close losses to top 12 teams, they deserve to be ranked around #20.
Agreed. But in no world anywhere is it better to have a losing record with “good” losses than be undefeated against an easier schedule.

The Cats have played the little sisters of the poor so far this season, but we are pretty high on them. Griz may be #Overrated, but they are still a Top 10 team.

And you are correct: Weber isn’t bad. But they are likely to end the season with a losing record if Josh Davis is out. So they aren’t a good team either.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:03 pm

onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CatBot wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CatBot wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
catatac wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Yeah, Weber only beat Dixie State 41-3. And MSU manhandled that Austin Peay team. But I won’t argue this ridiculous topic with you anymore. I am sure that you know way more than the media and coaches who do this for a living.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:51 am

JDoub wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:53 pm
Thinking why was EB still in the game in the 4th quarter with EWU up 57-14? Then threw his 7th TD of the day🤷🏼‍♂️

Then I remembered what an arrogant ass Petrino was when I played against him in HS, and a smile came to my face.😊

Well done EWU
Yeah- I was wondering why EWU was still airing it out when they were up by SIX scores... I would have taken the higher ground and ran the ball and get the game over with. It felt pretty bush league to be throwing it in the 4th quarter.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:53 am

Cledus wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:29 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:56 pm
It's actually better for the Cats if Sac takes a loss today, which would leave just 2 unbeatens in conference. But it's so hard to root for the griz...
Sac still has to play at UC Davis.
UC Davis holds a 46-21 advantage in the Causeway Classic, but it has been 3-3 in the last 6 games.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:24 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:03 pm
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CatBot wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CatBot wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
catatac wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Yeah, Weber only beat Dixie State 41-3. And MSU manhandled that Austin Peay team. But I won’t argue this ridiculous topic with you anymore. I am sure that you know way more than the media and coaches who do this for a living.
I mean, the coaches & media both picked Weber to win the conference...and if Josh Davis is out, they are going to be lucky to finish with a winning record. On the other hand, if Sac beats Davis, they will probably finish undefeated.

And, its probably worth point out again: the Sac state team that lost to APSU absolutely trucked MSU...in Bobcat Stadium. If you are hanging your hat on "Sac State is bad because it lost to an APSU team that MSU beat" but then you conveniently forget about Sac taking the Bobcats out to the woodshed...well, you are correct. That is a ridiculous conversation.

Sac State isn't going to win a championship, but they are likely to finish in the Top 3 in the conference-including a road win against a Top 10 team. With some luck, Weber might finish with a winning record.

I'm not going to hold coaches & media's inability to predict the future against them. But I'm shocked that there's a single football fan out there that is blowing off Sac while still claiming Weber is a good team. Sac is obviously playing way better than Weber right now.

But yeah. We agree that this is a ridiculous conversation.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:08 am

onceacat wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:24 am
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CatBot wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CatBot wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
catatac wrote:

I mean, the coaches & media both picked Weber to win the conference...and if Josh Davis is out, they are going to be lucky to finish with a winning record. On the other hand, if Sac beats Davis, they will probably finish undefeated.

And, its probably worth point out again: the Sac state team that lost to APSU absolutely trucked MSU...in Bobcat Stadium. If you are hanging your hat on "Sac State is bad because it lost to an APSU team that MSU beat" but then you conveniently forget about Sac taking the Bobcats out to the woodshed...well, you are correct. That is a ridiculous conversation.

Sac State isn't going to win a championship, but they are likely to finish in the Top 3 in the conference-including a road win against a Top 10 team. With some luck, Weber might finish with a winning record.

I'm not going to hold coaches & media's inability to predict the future against them. But I'm shocked that there's a single football fan out there that is blowing off Sac while still claiming Weber is a good team. Sac is obviously playing way better than Weber right now.

I'm no expert either but if someone told me I had to put $1000 on what team would win if Sac was heading to Weber this weekend, I'd put my money on Weber.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:47 am

catatac wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:08 am
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CatBot wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CatBot wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

I'm no expert either but if someone told me I had to put $1000 on what team would win if Sac was heading to Weber this weekend, I'd put my money on Weber.
Definitely. And Vegas would have Weber favored. The only reason that Weber is 2-4 is because they have had a brutal schedule. The only reason Sac State is 4-2 is because they have had an easy schedule - including the Griz.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:53 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:47 am
catatac wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CatBot wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CatBot wrote:

Definitely. And Vegas would have Weber favored. The only reason that Weber is 2-4 is because they have had a brutal schedule. The only reason Sac State is 4-2 is because they have had an easy schedule - including the Griz.
Are those the same oddsmakers that put MSU as 1.5 pt dogs? Are they related to the coaches and/or media writers who picked Weber to win the conference?

Asking for a friend.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:27 pm

onceacat wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:53 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:47 am
catatac wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CatBot wrote:
onceacat wrote:

Are those the same oddsmakers that put MSU as 1.5 pt dogs? Are they related to the coaches and/or media writers who picked Weber to win the conference?

Asking for a friend.
Not sure why you are so fixated on my opinion.. there are a lot of others here who think Weber is way better than Sac. I actually think you might be the only one…..