FCS Oct 16

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Re: FCS Oct 16

Post by catatac » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:20 pm

onceacat wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:53 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:47 am
catatac wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:08 am
onceacat wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:24 am
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:03 pm
onceacat wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:12 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:03 pm
onceacat wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:40 pm
CatBot wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:29 pm
onceacat wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:44 pm

I just looked it up. Weber has more conference losses this month than Sac has in 2 seasons. Sac is 4-0 against UM, MSU, and EWU in the stretch.

Weber is 1-3 against those teams (soon to be 1-4). Sac State has won 13 straight conference games…

And for some reason people on this board think that Weber is quality & Sac is junk.

People give Weber way too much credit for beating up on the little sisters of the poor in the fake spring season.
Perhaps because Weber wins games in the playoffs including a trip to the semis in 2019, and Sac embarrasses the conference with humiliating loses in the playoffs (i.e. 2019).
Yep. Weber made the semis in the fake non season of spring ‘21 with no MT & no Cali schools. They are 2-5 in their last 7 games, but people still think that’s somehow impressive.
Weber has only won the last 4 conference championships. They have 4 losses this year, all to ranked opponents: FCS #2, #5, #9 and FBS #20. Next week they take on #2 EWU.

Sac State does have an impressive win over possibly the worst FCS team Dixie State 19-7. They also have a blowout win over hapless Idaho State 23-21. That is quite the resume this year! #sarcastic
Not to get TOO snarky...but who did Weber State beat this year? Dixie State? Congrats to Weber on their big win, I guess? Webers other win? 1-5 Cal Poly?

And Sac State beat the Idaho team that beat the Davis team that beat Weber...

I mean, I give Weber a ton of credit for playing a tough schedule....but they LOST all those games. And beat Dixie State. ](*,)

Yes, Weber State has a really nice streak over the last 4 years. And have proven beyond a shadow of a reasonable doubt that they just aren't that good this year. I'd put cash money that they get blown out next week. And that if Josh Davis doesn't return, they finish with a losing record.

And, as I pointed out, Sac is 4-0 against UM, MSU, and EWU in the last 2 seasons (3 of those with UM or MSU in the Top 6, 3 wins on the road). Weber is 0-5 against the last 5 ranked teams they played. Throw in the Austin Peay game, and Sac is still 5-1 against ranked teams in the last 2 seasons.

Weber just ins't that good this year.
Yeah, Weber only beat Dixie State 41-3. And MSU manhandled that Austin Peay team. But I won’t argue this ridiculous topic with you anymore. I am sure that you know way more than the media and coaches who do this for a living.
I mean, the coaches & media both picked Weber to win the conference...and if Josh Davis is out, they are going to be lucky to finish with a winning record. On the other hand, if Sac beats Davis, they will probably finish undefeated.

And, its probably worth point out again: the Sac state team that lost to APSU absolutely trucked MSU...in Bobcat Stadium. If you are hanging your hat on "Sac State is bad because it lost to an APSU team that MSU beat" but then you conveniently forget about Sac taking the Bobcats out to the woodshed...well, you are correct. That is a ridiculous conversation.

Sac State isn't going to win a championship, but they are likely to finish in the Top 3 in the conference-including a road win against a Top 10 team. With some luck, Weber might finish with a winning record.

I'm not going to hold coaches & media's inability to predict the future against them. But I'm shocked that there's a single football fan out there that is blowing off Sac while still claiming Weber is a good team. Sac is obviously playing way better than Weber right now.

But yeah. We agree that this is a ridiculous conversation.
I'm no expert either but if someone told me I had to put $1000 on what team would win if Sac was heading to Weber this weekend, I'd put my money on Weber.
Definitely. And Vegas would have Weber favored. The only reason that Weber is 2-4 is because they have had a brutal schedule. The only reason Sac State is 4-2 is because they have had an easy schedule - including the Griz.
Are those the same oddsmakers that put MSU as 1.5 pt dogs? Are they related to the coaches and/or media writers who picked Weber to win the conference?

Asking for a friend.
I haven't actually seen the Vegas odds yet but will be interested to see where they place the betting line..... and where it moves from there. I might throw some money down on this one, depending on the spread.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:07 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:27 pm
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CatBot wrote:

Perhaps because Weber wins games in the playoffs including a trip to the semis in 2019, and Sac embarrasses the conference with humiliating loses in the playoffs (i.e. 2019).
Yep. Weber made the semis in the fake non season of spring ‘21 with no MT & no Cali schools. They are 2-5 in their last 7 games, but people still think that’s somehow impressive.
Weber has only won the last 4 conference championships. They have 4 losses this year, all to ranked opponents: FCS #2, #5, #9 and FBS #20. Next week they take on #2 EWU.

Sac State does have an impressive win over possibly the worst FCS team Dixie State 19-7. They also have a blowout win over hapless Idaho State 23-21. That is quite the resume this year! #sarcastic
Not to get TOO snarky...but who did Weber State beat this year? Dixie State? Congrats to Weber on their big win, I guess? Webers other win? 1-5 Cal Poly?

I mean, I give Weber a ton of credit for playing a tough schedule....but they LOST all those games. And beat Dixie State. ](*,)

Yes, Weber State has a really nice streak over the last 4 years. And have proven beyond a shadow of a reasonable doubt that they just aren't that good this year. I'd put cash money that they get blown out next week. And that if Josh Davis doesn't return, they finish with a losing record.

And, as I pointed out, Sac is 4-0 against UM, MSU, and EWU in the last 2 seasons (3 of those with UM or MSU in the Top 6, 3 wins on the road). Weber is 0-5 against the last 5 ranked teams they played. Throw in the Austin Peay game, and Sac is still 5-1 against ranked teams in the last 2 seasons.

Yeah, Weber only beat Dixie State 41-3. And MSU manhandled that Austin Peay team. But I won’t argue this ridiculous topic with you anymore. I am sure that you know way more than the media and coaches who do this for a living.
I mean, the coaches & media both picked Weber to win the conference...and if Josh Davis is out, they are going to be lucky to finish with a winning record. On the other hand, if Sac beats Davis, they will probably finish undefeated.

And, its probably worth point out again: the Sac state team that lost to APSU absolutely trucked MSU...in Bobcat Stadium. If you are hanging your hat on "Sac State is bad because it lost to an APSU team that MSU beat" but then you conveniently forget about Sac taking the Bobcats out to the woodshed...well, you are correct. That is a ridiculous conversation.

Sac State isn't going to win a championship, but they are likely to finish in the Top 3 in the conference-including a road win against a Top 10 team. With some luck, Weber might finish with a winning record.

I'm not going to hold coaches & media's inability to predict the future against them. But I'm shocked that there's a single football fan out there that is blowing off Sac while still claiming Weber is a good team. Sac is obviously playing way better than Weber right now.

I'm no expert either but if someone told me I had to put $1000 on what team would win if Sac was heading to Weber this weekend, I'd put my money on Weber.
Definitely. And Vegas would have Weber favored. The only reason that Weber is 2-4 is because they have had a brutal schedule. The only reason Sac State is 4-2 is because they have had an easy schedule - including the Griz.
Are those the same oddsmakers that put MSU as 1.5 pt dogs? Are they related to the coaches and/or media writers who picked Weber to win the conference?

Asking for a friend.
Not sure why you are so fixated on my opinion.. there are a lot of others here who think Weber is way better than Sac. I actually think you might be the only one…..
I think that was the place where I started on this thread: Its super weird that people are convinced (including the pollsters, coaches, and Vegas oddmakers) that Weber is a better team despite Weber losing 3 straight at home to Top 20 teams, and Sac winning 3 of their last 4 against Top 10 teams, 3 on the road.

I'm noting the disconnect between perception and reality.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:28 am

onceacat wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:07 pm
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:

Asking for a friend.
Not sure why you are so fixated on my opinion.. there are a lot of others here who think Weber is way better than Sac. I actually think you might be the only one…..
I think that was the place where I started on this thread: Its super weird that people are convinced (including the pollsters, coaches, and Vegas oddmakers) that Weber is a better team despite Weber losing 3 straight at home to Top 20 teams, and Sac winning 3 of their last 4 against Top 10 teams, 3 on the road.

Sac State has won 4 games this year. None of them are worthy of Top 10 status. Wins against Dixie State (0-6), Southern Utah (1-6) and Idaho State (1-5) do not tell you much. Griz offense is clearly going to be an issue for the rest of the season. If you are counting Sac State’s wins from past seasons, this is a completely different year with different personnel. Heck the Cats were #4 in 2019 and I haven’t seen one single person use that as an argument for a higher ranking THIS YEAR!

The latest rankings barely had Sac in the top 20. Sac might actually play a conference schedule this year where they play only two teams with a winning record: UM and Davis.

Seriously man, you seem to have a complex about the Cats being good. It is like you are looking for reasons to discount any accomplishments. Cats beat a good Weber team that has had a ridiculously tough schedule.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:49 am

onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CatBot wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CatBot wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:11 am
91catAlum wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:06 am
catatac wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:08 pm
RickRund wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:22 pm
Thought it was a bad spot too... Munchie doing good out there...
Yep, I'm happy for him - that he did what he thought was best for him. But man, you'd wonder if he is second guessing his decision as he could be playing for a championship caliber team right now. MSU is, SAC is not.
You sure about that? Sac looked pretty good today and only has Davis left for tough games remaining this season. It's very possible they go unbeaten in conference if they get by Davis.

It's not easy to win in Missoula. They're for real.
Sac has won something like 13 out of their last 14 conference games including wins at Bozeman and Missoula. Other than Davis, they will roll the through the rest of the conference season.
I just looked it up. Weber has more conference losses this month than Sac has in 2 seasons. Sac is 4-0 against UM, MSU, and EWU in the stretch.

Weber is 1-3 against those teams (soon to be 1-4). Sac State has won 13 straight conference games…

And for some reason people on this board think that Weber is quality & Sac is junk.

People give Weber way too much credit for beating up on the little sisters of the poor in the fake spring season.

As some once said, “not to get TOO snarky”, but Weber just beat the number two team in the country. Maybe they are not too bad.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:12 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:49 am
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CatBot wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CatBot wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:11 am
91catAlum wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:06 am
catatac wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:08 pm
RickRund wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:22 pm
Thought it was a bad spot too... Munchie doing good out there...
Yep, I'm happy for him - that he did what he thought was best for him. But man, you'd wonder if he is second guessing his decision as he could be playing for a championship caliber team right now. MSU is, SAC is not.
You sure about that? Sac looked pretty good today and only has Davis left for tough games remaining this season. It's very possible they go unbeaten in conference if they get by Davis.

It's not easy to win in Missoula. They're for real.
Sac has won something like 13 out of their last 14 conference games including wins at Bozeman and Missoula. Other than Davis, they will roll the through the rest of the conference season.

As some once said, “not to get TOO snarky”, but Weber just beat the number two team in the country. Maybe they are not too bad.
Never said they were bad. Just not that good. Illinois just beat #7 Penn State…but Illinois still isn’t “good”.

But, credit where credit is due: I thought Weebs would get trounced. And they pulled off a very impressive win. To end a 5 or 6 game losing streak against ranked teams.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:23 pm

Weber is a very good team. We're better.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:04 pm

catatac wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:23 pm
Weber is a very good team. We're better.
You don’t win your conference four straight times and have Jay Hill as your coach, and not be very good. The only reason EWU got back in is Weber switched up their defense after going up 35-21. Eastern was lucky to get the win vs UM. I wouldn’t be surprised if they lose to both MSU and Davis. Somewhat overrated due to their flashy offense. Allowing 34 to Weber is not a good look. I think that was their third most points all season.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:14 pm

These arguments will go on forever as long as we insist on a 13 team conference in which everyone doesn’t play each other and there is no conference championship.

We can speculate all we want. My personal opinion is that Sac and Davis are not as strong as Weber but I guess we’ll never know.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:26 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:14 pm
These arguments will go on forever as long as we insist on a 13 team conference in which everyone doesn’t play each other and there is no conference championship.

We can speculate all we want. My personal opinion is that Sac and Davis are not as strong as Weber but I guess we’ll never know.
Agree 100%. You can't have a conference this size without taking some pretty significant steps to ensure a balanced schedule. (FWIW, those steps are really easy to do...just that the conference has shown zero interest in doing so).

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:35 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:28 am
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Asking for a friend.

Sac State has won 4 games this year. None of them are worthy of Top 10 status. Wins against Dixie State (0-6), Southern Utah (1-6) and Idaho State (1-5) do not tell you much. Griz offense is clearly going to be an issue for the rest of the season. If you are counting Sac State’s wins from past seasons, this is a completely different year with different personnel. Heck the Cats were #4 in 2019 and I haven’t seen one single person use that as an argument for a higher ranking THIS YEAR!

The latest rankings barely had Sac in the top 20. Sac might actually play a conference schedule this year where they play only two teams with a winning record: UM and Davis.

Seriously man, you seem to have a complex about the Cats being good. It is like you are looking for reasons to discount any accomplishments. Cats beat a good Weber team that has had a ridiculously tough schedule.
I mean, the Cats-who I think are really good-are likely only going to play 3 teams with a winning schedule. If Sac is bad because their schedule is soft, the same argument should apply to MSU.

Likewise, you can give credit to Weber for playing a tough schedule...but they keep losing those games (with the exception of EWU). Cal Poly has a WAY tougher schedule than Weber, but nobody thinks Cal Poly is good.

Its just that the inconsistency is mind boggling. Weber gets credit for tough losses, but nobody else does...Cat fans make fun of Sacs soft schedule...when the Cat schedule is 90% as weak. EWU's win over UM is barely worth noting cause UM is bad...but Weber's win over EWU is really impressive.

Its enough to make a guys head explode.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:23 am

onceacat wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:35 am
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:28 am
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:

Asking for a friend.

I mean, the Cats-who I think are really good-are likely only going to play 3 teams with a winning schedule. If Sac is bad because their schedule is soft, the same argument should apply to MSU.

Likewise, you can give credit to Weber for playing a tough schedule...but they keep losing those games (with the exception of EWU). Cal Poly has a WAY tougher schedule than Weber, but nobody thinks Cal Poly is good.

Its just that the inconsistency is mind boggling. Weber gets credit for tough losses, but nobody else does...Cat fans make fun of Sacs soft schedule...when the Cat schedule is 90% as weak. EWU's win over UM is barely worth noting cause UM is bad...but Weber's win over EWU is really impressive.

At times I have to ask the question, are you even a Cat fan? You seem to spend an inordinate amount of time pumping up other teams while always looking for faults with the Cats. I hate to tell you this, but the Cats of the late 80’s and early 90’s are gone. I have left the state of the program at that time in my rear view mirror.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:38 pm

onceacat wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:35 am

Portland State should be .500 by the end of this week, but the tail end of their schedule is pretty tough, so they'll likely finish under .500. San Diego is at .500 right now and will very likely have a winning record by the end of the season. Weber are prohibitive favorites in their last four games, which would give them a 7-4 record if they win out. If this all plays out we should have wins over four teams with a winning record by the end of the regular season.

As of right now, the griz do not have a single win over a team with a winning record. If we beat them, they won't have a single win over a team with a winning record, but they're saying our schedule is easy? :-k :-k

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.