Another OL leaves the griz program...

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Another OL leaves the griz program...

Post by RickRund » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:02 pm

An OL, Ganoung, left. Various rumors over at egriz. Their depth took a bit of a hit.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: Another OL leaves the griz program...

Post by Cataholic » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:35 pm

Wow. Two lineman quit mid-season. One was a starter. Seems like trouble to me. Where there is smoke, there is fire.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:20 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:35 pm
Wow. Two lineman quit mid-season. One was a starter. Seems like trouble to me. Where there is smoke, there is fire.
Maybe, maybe not. Elijah Dotson, SSUs stud running back left mid-season. Utah's QB left after getting benched. And those are just the ones I know about off the top of my head.

The world is pretty upside down right now. Not remotely surprising that some of these guys who may have graduated a couple years ago decide to hang it up.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:32 pm

onceacat wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:20 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:35 pm
Maybe, maybe not. Elijah Dotson, SSUs stud running back left mid-season. Utah's QB left after getting benched. And those are just the ones I know about off the top of my head.

The world is pretty upside down right now. Not remotely surprising that some of these guys who may have graduated a couple years ago decide to hang it up.
One of the rumors is he thought he would be a starter but got beat out by a transfer from wsu cougars.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:26 pm

Div I college football is a tough road. Players walk away all the time. Nothing to see here.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:57 am

seataccat wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:26 pm
Div I college football is a tough road. Players walk away all the time. Nothing to see here.
They do, but it's usually not in the middle of the season. This is probably just a coincidence and the COVID/extra year/already-graduated thing is a factor for sure. The odds of losing two, former starter, offensive linemen in the middle of a season are very small.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:30 am

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:23 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:57 am
seataccat wrote:
They do, but it's usually not in the middle of the season. This is probably just a coincidence and the COVID/extra year/already-graduated thing is a factor for sure. The odds of losing two, former starter, offensive linemen in the middle of a season are very small.
Yep. The other thing I think has been very impressive about the new coaching staff is that we've lost relatively few players. A bunch of people thought there would be a mass exodus and while we have lost a handful of players, really not bad at all - especially when you're seeing programs that didn't have a new coaching staff come in, have lost more.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:36 am

catatac wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:23 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
seataccat wrote:
Yep. The other thing I think has been very impressive about the new coaching staff is that we've lost relatively few players. A bunch of people thought there would be a mass exodus and while we have lost a handful of players, really not bad at all - especially when you're seeing programs that didn't have a new coaching staff come in, have lost more.
Totally agree. Usually a coaching change results in a significant amount of attrition...Vigen and his staff have done an incredible job keeping this group together. I'm becoming more impressed with Coach V as the season progresses. If the Cats win in Ogden...I'll be all in.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:26 am

catatac wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
seataccat wrote:
Not to take anything away from Vigen and the job he's done, but I think players looked at how good this team was and the trajectory of the school and facilities, and knew they should stick around. Most of the time when a new coach comes in there's some sort of turmoil, but MSU was and is on the way up. I think MSU just needed to find somebody decent to keep guys around. I happen to believe MSU found somebody a lot better than decent though, and Vigen can take this program to another level.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:09 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:26 am
catatac wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
seataccat wrote:
Not to take anything away from Vigen and the job he's done, but I think players looked at how good this team was and the trajectory of the school and facilities, and knew they should stick around. Most of the time when a new coach comes in there's some sort of turmoil, but MSU was and is on the way up. I think MSU just needed to find somebody decent to keep guys around. I happen to believe MSU found somebody a lot better than decent though, and Vigen can take this program to another level.
I 100% agree that Vigen looks like he can take the program to the next level. And I also agree 100% about the overall trajectory of the University & the facilities, etc

But someone correct me if I'm wrong...Choate left pretty late into the coaching carousel cycle. It would have been tough for a lot of the players to get scholarship money considering how late that happened.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:01 pm

Hauck said in the post game loss to Sac that Robbie Hauck will be playing OL, QB, RB and Safety next weekend.

Punters are people too!!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:07 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:01 pm
Hauck said in the post game loss to Sac that Robbie Hauck will be playing OL, QB, RB and Safety next weekend.
They'll leave their current QB in so that when he turns it over Robbie can get credit for tackles as the RB.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:25 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:07 pm
GoCats18 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:01 pm
They'll leave their current QB in so that when he turns it over Robbie can get credit for tackles as the RB.
Doing that griz math in my head be like:

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.