IS UM any good?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: IS UM any good?

Post by onceacat » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:44 pm

griz5700 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:37 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:30 pm
griz5700 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:34 pm
Damn! My Kris Brown prediction almost came to fruition in spectacular fashion.

I hope Humphrey is ok and able to return.

But, folks. The Kris Brown era has officially begun.
I thought Brown got in for some mop up duty earlier against WIU or Poly. Or are you saying he's the starter this Saturday?
On Griz final drive - Humphrey took a huge shot, had something terrible happen below the knee.. was carried off field not wearing shoe or putting any weight on right foot.

I think Brown starts from here on out.
Something was up with that turf. Humphry & Limu Jones with nasty looking leg injuries late in the 4th...EB slipping when scrambling away from the rush at least 2 times. Couple of receiver slips.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:00 pm

griz5700 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:37 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:30 pm
griz5700 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:34 pm
Damn! My Kris Brown prediction almost came to fruition in spectacular fashion.

I hope Humphrey is ok and able to return.

But, folks. The Kris Brown era has officially begun.
I thought Brown got in for some mop up duty earlier against WIU or Poly. Or are you saying he's the starter this Saturday?
On Griz final drive - Humphrey took a huge shot, had something terrible happen below the knee.. was carried off field not wearing shoe or putting any weight on right foot.

I think Brown starts from here on out.
Yep, feel bad when these kids get injured - especially after all the hard work - blood,, sweat and tears they've invested. Griz took a step back at QB last night.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

LIBBYCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by LIBBYCAT » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:51 pm

My understanding through the grapevine today is a broken leg for Humphrey. Tough deal at this stage but in rolls Brown and he’s looking pretty good but will need to develop. Griz schedule should keep them afloat till Brown gets his bearing or Cam comes back.

griz5700

Post by griz5700 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:07 pm

For the most part, Cam’s play cost the Griz the game.

His two picks were devastating. Both badly thrown. Both to eastern pts. But Griz got another KO return for touchdown somehow which kept them alive.

Criticism goes well beyond Humphrey:

- predictable play calling. It’s obvious they are implementing an offense that nurtures Humphrey and puts him in safe situations. Eastern staff/defense was all over this.. Griz game plan was never going to change with Humphrey at QB. It never has.

- horrible late game clock management by Hauck. Should have used at least 2 of 3 available timeouts on ewu’s final series. He also allowed like 30 seconds of clock to unnecessarily run off during Griz final possessions with two timeouts in his pocket at the time.

- Worst tackling performance by a Griz defense since probably early Stitt era. I thought this team prided themselves on tackling/pursuit/toughness?

- Griz came out of halftime and scored on first drive. Went up 21-10, then went flat. That’s coaching. Hauck and his staff own this loss 100%.

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ
http://goo.gl/A6rsSA

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:56 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:13 am
91catAlum wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:22 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:55 pm
cats2506 wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:19 pm
CatBot wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:48 pm
griz5700 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:14 pm
PapaG wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:34 pm
griz5700 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:55 pm

As much as I’d love to see it, it just doesn’t make sense to play a talented Freshman over a very capable Senior.
Good point. Chip Kelly made the same mistake of starting a talented R-FR named Marcus Mariota over his two-year capable starter R-SR Darron Thomas and it didn’t turn out very well at all. Bobby is making all the right moves. Oh, wait…

And yes, the Griz are very good. So are the Bobcats.
I’d say Oregon was in a slightly different position competing for a championship in 2012 than Montana in 2021. Every game has huge ramifications for a P5 school.

Griz are a contender with either Humphrey or Brown at QB.

Yes. The Cats are a very good, championship caliber team. It’s the strongest, most athletic team I’ve ever seen at MSU. I hope the Griz can stop their run game. We shall see.
So far everyone has done a decent job stopping the run game. I'm not sure you're actually paying attention. (hint: the Cats are a passing team now)
Against USD the Cats rushed for over 300 yards, Passing was only 235, We will see what happens in the next few weeks, but I think our run game is going to be just fine.
Take out runs over 40 yards and the average isn't very good at all.
Take out runs of less than 3 yards, and the average gets much better.
:lol:

Always makes me chuckle when people are discussing stats and then take out certain stats to make a point. You see it with QB's all the time. Guy will throw for 350 yards and someone will always point out that if you take away the 70 yard bomb for a score and the 50 yard screen pass his numbers weren't all that good.

I think from here on out we all agree to just take out any negative play from scrimmage, thus boosting our final stats. 8)
Is that what they do with Robbie. Every missed tackle and bad angle counts?

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:49 pm

griz5700 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:07 pm

His two picks were devastating. Both badly thrown. Both to eastern pts. But Griz got another KO return for touchdown somehow which kept them alive.

- predictable play calling. It’s obvious they are implementing an offense that nurtures Humphrey and puts him in safe situations. Eastern staff/defense was all over this.. Griz game plan was never going to change with Humphrey at QB. It never has.

- horrible late game clock management by Hauck. Should have used at least 2 of 3 available timeouts on ewu’s final series. He also allowed like 30 seconds of clock to unnecessarily run off during Griz final possessions with two timeouts in his pocket at the time.

- Worst tackling performance by a Griz defense since probably early Stitt era. I thought this team prided themselves on tackling/pursuit/toughness?

- Griz came out of halftime and scored on first drive. Went up 21-10, then went flat. That’s coaching. Hauck and his staff own this loss 100%.
I can't believe all the injuries UM is having lately. Usually not something that they have had to deal with. Gonna test the depth. Then Colin Keintz just left the team for personal (mental health?) reasons. I hate to see that, but I think it's fairly prevalent throughout sports. Doesn't get talked about much.

While the program has improved post-Stitt, Hauck has definitely had some tough/bad losses. PSU and MSU in 2018; Blowouts by SAC and MSU in 2019; and this game where they played great for the better part of three quarters only to collapse late. I don't hear anyone complaining yet. He does such a good job of feeding red meat to his base and I think that's what keeps them at bay for the most part.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:09 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:49 pm
griz5700 wrote:

I can't believe all the injuries UM is having lately. Usually not something that they have had to deal with. Gonna test the depth. Then Colin Keintz just left the team for personal (mental health?) reasons. I hate to see that, but I think it's fairly prevalent throughout sports. Doesn't get talked about much.

While the program has improved post-Stitt, Hauck has definitely had some tough/bad losses. PSU and MSU in 2018; Blowouts by SAC and MSU in 2019; and this game where they played great for the better part of three quarters only to collapse late. I don't hear anyone complaining yet. He does such a good job of feeding red meat to his base and I think that's what keeps them at bay for the most part.
I've wondered before if his approach would work these days. I know it wasn't that long ago that he was in Missoula the first time around, but kids have changed a lot since then. He's old school, and the guys who like old school love him. But kids these days need to feel a connection, be part of something, feel like they're listened to and cared about. Sounds cheesy, but that's what Choate was great at, all the while being a fiery competitor and feeding his fan base that red meat too. Having said that, I have to admit I was wrong about Hauck...or at least partially. I thought by now we'd have seen lots more players leaving for mental health reasons and the like. I just don't see Hauck being real sensitive to the kid who needs a day to work some stuff out, but maybe I'm wrong. I saw one of the players after the UW win say something like "if you have any dog in you, Hauck is going to bring that out". I think the "dogs" on the team absolutely love the guy and would go through a wall for him. I just think it's harder and harder to get a team full of those guys. And I could be dead wrong, but it seems to me that those guys who need a little more encouragement will feel more and more alienated as time goes by.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:51 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:09 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
griz5700 wrote:

I've wondered before if his approach would work these days. I know it wasn't that long ago that he was in Missoula the first time around, but kids have changed a lot since then. He's old school, and the guys who like old school love him. But kids these days need to feel a connection, be part of something, feel like they're listened to and cared about. Sounds cheesy, but that's what Choate was great at, all the while being a fiery competitor and feeding his fan base that red meat too. Having said that, I have to admit I was wrong about Hauck...or at least partially. I thought by now we'd have seen lots more players leaving for mental health reasons and the like. I just don't see Hauck being real sensitive to the kid who needs a day to work some stuff out, but maybe I'm wrong. I saw one of the players after the UW win say something like "if you have any dog in you, Hauck is going to bring that out". I think the "dogs" on the team absolutely love the guy and would go through a wall for him. I just think it's harder and harder to get a team full of those guys. And I could be dead wrong, but it seems to me that those guys who need a little more encouragement will feel more and more alienated as time goes by.
Wondering about that as I read about the junior lineman from UM who hung up his cleats a week ago. Started 16 games over the last few seasons including 2 this spring. Hung it up for mental health issues.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:59 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
griz5700 wrote:

I personally think it’s just the opposite. He doesn’t give a ****** about the media. He doesn’t care about what other programs thinks of him. He certainly doesn’t care about other fanbases. But he cares about his guys. Everything i have seen, read and heard shows me a coach whose players would run through a wall for him. I don’t think that’s changed.

Bobby has a lot of qualities easy to dislike. Some weaknesses. I don’t think this is one of those.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:05 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:59 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
griz5700 wrote:

I personally think it’s just the opposite. He doesn’t give a ****** about the media. He doesn’t care about what other programs thinks of him. He certainly doesn’t care about other fanbases. But he cares about his guys. Everything i have seen, read and heard shows me a coach whose players would run through a wall for him. I don’t think that’s changed.

Bobby has a lot of qualities easy to dislike. Some weaknesses. I don’t think this is one of those.
I agree--actually said that to my wife during the game on Saturday. He definitely cares about his guys and it shows.

oedipuss
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by oedipuss » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:56 pm

The EWU/Griz game had 263,000 viewers on ESPN2... which is a really good number for a 10:00 pm (EST) start. It basically did the same number as the ACC game on at noon on ESPN2 and did significantly better than Kansas/Iowa St. on FS1 and Nevada/Boise St. which had 197,000 viewers

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:58 pm

oedipuss wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:56 pm
The EWU/Griz game had 263,000 viewers on ESPN2... which is a really good number for a 10:00 pm (EST) start. It basically did the same number as the ACC game on at noon on ESPN2 and did significantly better than Kansas/Iowa St. on FS1 and Nevada/Boise St. which had 197,000 viewers
Cool. Where do you get that info?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

oedipuss
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by oedipuss » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:01 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:58 pm
oedipuss wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:56 pm
Cool. Where do you get that info?
https://showbuzzdaily.com

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:27 pm

Watching Dixie State push around the Montana D on their 1st drive.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:38 pm

A few posters above mentioned that once there is tape OCs will find weaknesses. Starting with Cal Poly I’d say that has happened to some extent. Still a very good defense but not what they were for the first few weeks.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:48 pm

Definitely not a dominating griz showing. A fumble for the griz. Dixie has thrown an INT at the goalline. Dixie so far making the griz look average at best...

The griz are moving it a bit at the start of 2nd...

0-0...

The announcers are BAD!!!

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

MTnative

Post by MTnative » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:21 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:48 pm
Definitely not a dominating griz showing. A fumble for the griz. Dixie has thrown an INT at the goalline. Dixie so far making the griz look average at best...

0-0...

Grady Bennett is as a huge homer. Watch that game on mute.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:21 pm

griz settle for fg... 3-0

msubobcats@outlook.com

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:22 pm

MTnative wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:21 pm
RickRund wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:48 pm

0-0...

Grady Bennett is as a huge homer. Watch that game on mute.
You got that right...

msubobcats@outlook.com

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:38 pm

griz fail to score in the red zone. Looks like they lost it at the 4 yard line...

At the half 3-0 griz...

msubobcats@outlook.com