EWU dumps UNLV

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

EWU dumps UNLV

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:08 am

Just in, Eastern Washington on a defensive goal line stop in 2 OT beats UNLV 35 -33!

I like it. A great win for the Big Sky over an FBS team. Could it be the beginning of a weekend role for the Big Sky and the Cats toping Wyoming?

Why not? =D^

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: EWU dumps UNLV

Post by PHAT CAT » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:29 am

That win for EWU is like puppies breath. UC Davis beat Tulsa.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:41 am

PHAT CAT wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:29 am
Yeah, that UC win is an eye-opener. Unlv didn’t come within 13 points of winning a game last year. Tulsa was undefeated in its conference and beat a top ten team.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:01 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:08 am
Just in, Eastern Washington on a defensive goal line stop in 2 OT beats UNLV 35 -33!

I like it. A great win for the Big Sky over an FBS team. Could it be the beginning of a weekend role for the Big Sky and the Cats toping Wyoming?

Why not? =D^

Too bad it went to OT. EWU had it on the UNLV 14 and missed a field goal as the 4th quarter expires. Should have NEVER went to OT.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:32 am

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:01 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:08 am

Why not? =D^

Too bad it went to OT. EWU had it on the UNLV 14 and missed a field goal as the 4th quarter expires. Should have NEVER went to OT.
I watched much of the game and EWU gave up 14 points in a span of about 1 minute on basically lapses and mistakes in the second half. EWU looked like the better team. They actually missed 3 field goals, including a last second FG at the end of regulation. Barrierre looks even better than in past years. He made a 50 yard pass on a line to get EWU in scoring range. It was not a rainbow but a dart - for 50 yards.

In future EWU matching up against MSU, our offense should have a big day running the ball. UNLV’s QB was also mobile and created some major issues for EWU. On defense, containing Barrierre and putting pressure on him will be key. He has great mobility, good accuracy with a huge arm.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:06 am

I'm glad this thread is here. I just watched the second half but it was a fun game to watch and it's awesome to have BSC football back.
Even though I'm not an EWU fan I found myself pulling for them in this game. I would say I hope every Big Sky team wins when they play up or out of conference except for the griz. For some reason I always want them to lose.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:15 am

UNLV WR's must've dropped at least 5 wide open passes, including one that was tipped for an INT when they were driving down to win. EWU's defense looked improved but if UNLV gets into a rhythm earlier in the game with the drops the game isn't close.

Tulsa was a good win but I think they were on their 2nd or 3rd string QB and he was not good. But Davis looked pretty good, Hunter Rodriguez is going to be a capable replacement to Meier.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:08 am

The most impressive showing was a loss. Weber has nothing to be ashamed of the way they played top 25 Utah.

The Big Sky seems to have a wide gap in team talent. The have vs the have nots. Weber, EWU, UC Davis, the Montana’s, and Sac could all be very good. SUU, ISU, UNC could be very bad. I predict more than one blowout a week once conference play starts.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:38 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:41 am
PHAT CAT wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:29 am
Yeah, that UC win is an eye-opener. Unlv didn’t come within 13 points of winning a game last year. Tulsa was undefeated in its conference and beat a top ten team.
“It's FCS football! It's the Big Sky! It ain't intramurals! Go play intramurals, brother, go play intramurals.”

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:50 am

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:15 am
UNLV WR's must've dropped at least 5 wide open passes, including one that was tipped for an INT when they were driving down to win. EWU's defense looked improved but if UNLV gets into a rhythm earlier in the game with the drops the game isn't close.

Tulsa was a good win but I think they were on their 2nd or 3rd string QB and he was not good. But Davis looked pretty good, Hunter Rodriguez is going to be a capable replacement to Meier.
I did not know that about the Tulsa QBs. Dampens it a bit, but I still say this an incredible win for Davis. And did you hear about the $1 million+ payout Davis got? Damn!!

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

ECBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ECBobcat » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:09 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:50 am
CelticCat wrote:

I did not know that about the Tulsa QBs. Dampens it a bit, but I still say this an incredible win for Davis. And did you hear about the $1 million+ payout Davis got? Damn!!
Tulsa had something like 10 guys suspended and unable to play as a consequence of the brawl with Mississippi State in last year’s bowl game. Still a good win for Davis and the Big Sky.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:22 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:08 am
The most impressive showing was a loss. Weber has nothing to be ashamed of the way they played top 25 Utah.

The Big Sky seems to have a wide gap in team talent. The have vs the have nots. Weber, EWU, UC Davis, the Montana’s, and Sac could all be very good. SUU, ISU, UNC could be very bad. I predict more than one blowout a week once conference play starts.
What impressed you about Weber's showing against Utah?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:26 am

ECBobcat wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:09 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:50 am
CelticCat wrote:

Tulsa had something like 10 guys suspended and unable to play as a consequence of the brawl with Mississippi State in last year’s bowl game. Still a good win for Davis and the Big Sky.
I did know that, but completely forgot about it. :oops:

toM StUber

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:46 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:22 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:

Weber’s defense looked big, tough and physical. I also liked what I saw of the Barron kid, he was running for his life much of the game but was able to make some plays with his feet. Weber’s OL was pretty much manhandled the whole game though and only managed 57 rushing yards on 30 carries, 1.9 YPC.

Weber also committed 11 penalties.

Utah dropped 2 easy TD passes in the first quarter, it should have been 21-7 and could have easily been 21-0 if not for a breakdown on special teams that let Shaheed go 100 yards untouched in a kickoff return. The game wasn’t really as close as the score indicated and the score indicated it wasn’t close at all.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:44 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:46 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:22 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:

Weber’s defense looked big, tough and physical. I also liked what I saw of the Barron kid, he was running for his life much of the game but was able to make some plays with his feet. Weber’s OL was pretty much manhandled the whole game though and only managed 57 rushing yards on 30 carries, 1.9 YPC.

Weber also committed 11 penalties.

Utah dropped 2 easy TD passes in the first quarter, it should have been 21-7 and could have easily been 21-0 if not for a breakdown on special teams that let Shaheed go 100 yards untouched in a kickoff return. The game wasn’t really as close as the score indicated and the score indicated it wasn’t close at all.
I thought Weber's D looked pretty good at times, and that's their calling card so they should. But like you said the game should/could have been out of hand way earlier. They didn't look nearly as good against the run as I thought they would though. 6 YPC, even against a solid FBS team is bad.

As far as Barron is concerned he is a decent QB. If Weber had an above average QB they'd be a national title contender. He isn't a good passer and panics too quickly in the pocket.

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:32 pm

Some random thoughts:

I hope Weber State comes out swinging against James Madison on September 18. Since 2019, I've believed that there is no longer 3 power conferences in the FCS. I really believe it is two power conferences (MVFC and the Big Sky) plus JMU. If Weber wins the game against JMU (a big if, in my opinion), it will look really good for the top half of the Big Sky, especially as Weber has to play Davis, EWU, and MSU this year.

I'd really like to see the playoff selection committee begin to recognize that they can pick a fifth (or even sixth!) Big Sky team over a third CAA team if they are a better option. In 2019, Albany was outclassed by MSU and Villanova lost at home to a team that gave up 73 points to the Grizzlies the next week.

If there are really six teams at the top of the Big Sky this year that all deliver 7 Division I wins, I hope the committee puts them all in the playoffs. The Davis and EWU wins help our case.
Prodigal Cat wrote:

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:28 pm

Tulsa may have had some issues, and UNLV may not be very good, but any time the BSC gets two wins over FBS teams on the same day/night, that's a pretty good showing for the conference. Has the BSC ever had two FBS wins on the same weekend before, let alone the same night?

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:21 pm

Granted I was only watching Weber on the side and not the entire game. However it seemed like they were constantly making plays on D to keep it close. They were playing a top 25 team btw. They are the team to beat until proven otherwise in the BSC.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing