UM arrogance

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Sohedges
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: UM arrogance

Post by Sohedges » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:50 am

John K wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:34 am
I read this article, and was almost in disbelief at the level of delusional arrogance by everyone associated with the UM football program. I was particularly struck by the paragraph in which Speltz lumped together MSU, NAU, Northern Colorado and Southern Utah as wins that wouldn't be particularly noteworthy. I guess he can't be blamed too much for "misremembering" what it's like to beat the Cats, since it's now been almost 6 full years since that last happened in November 2015. Maybe they should focus on beating MSU, EWU and Weber, which they haven't done very often in recent years, before worrying about getting a "dazzling" win over U-Dub. Griz fans used to ridicule us for living in the past, when we'd remind them of our 3 national championships, during the dark days of MSU football in the late 80's and most of the 90's. They seem to be guilty of the same thing these days, as it's now been 12 years since they've even won a BSC championship, or 10 years if you count the 2011 title which was subsequently vacated.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 3.amp.html
I just read his article. It has aged well, your post not so much. My take was he wrote it for his home town paper tongue in cheek. Relax you are bitching about stuff in their paper written by their writer for their faithful written in a mocking kind of way. The Griz board irrationally hates the guy also—it’s funny how both sides were insulted for not getting enough respect by the same article. Lol

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:38 pm

Haucks comment when they need to shuffle the mic around is pure BS. “I thought this place was big time”. What an ass

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

Griznationalist
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Griznationalist » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:44 pm

John K wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:34 am
I read this article, and was almost in disbelief at the level of delusional arrogance by everyone associated with the UM football program. I was particularly struck by the paragraph in which Speltz lumped together MSU, NAU, Northern Colorado and Southern Utah as wins that wouldn't be particularly noteworthy. I guess he can't be blamed too much for "misremembering" what it's like to beat the Cats, since it's now been almost 6 full years since that last happened in November 2015. Maybe they should focus on beating MSU, EWU and Weber, which they haven't done very often in recent years, before worrying about getting a "dazzling" win over U-Dub. Griz fans used to ridicule us for living in the past, when we'd remind them of our 3 national championships, during the dark days of MSU football in the late 80's and most of the 90's. They seem to be guilty of the same thing these days, as it's now been 12 years since they've even won a BSC championship, or 10 years if you count the 2011 title which was subsequently vacated.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 3.amp.html
Don’t let a homer article by a Missoulian sportswriter ruin your year. Chin up. The Cats are respectable. It’s going to be a good season.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:26 pm

A few thoughts after the Griz win, and reading everyone's comments before and after the game. in response to my OP. First off, hats off to UM for a great win. That was obviously a very impressive performance, and while I certainly wasn't rooting for them, a win like that is good for the entire BSC, and for the FCS in general. I don't take back what I said about UM arrogance though, and in fact that arrogance was on full display by Bobby during that post-game press conference. News flash for you Bobby....not everyone in Montana "lives and breathes" for the UM Grizzlies. Is there anyone on the planet who's more cocky and unlikable than that guy? Some people can be cocky in sort of a charming way, but Bobby is cocky in the least charming way imaginable.

A friendly reminder for Griz fans though...they were equally cocky after they upset NDSU in the 2015 opener (and Stitt's debut), but that season didn't turn out to be all that "dazzling". as UM got thumped by NDSU in the rematch in the 2nd round of the playoffs, . Although, that season (and that win over NDSU) ended up being the high water mark for the Griz during the Stitt era. Congrats to them though...they played great, especially on defense, and they deserved to win the game. I just don't think that one win necessarily anoints them as the best team in the country, or even the best team in the BSC, although it looks like they're certainly worthy of their predicted 2nd place finish in the Big Sky. They're going to be a formidable opponent for everyone in the conference, and it's going to be a big challenge to extend our winning streak in November in Missoula.

Griznationalist
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Griznationalist » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:25 pm

John K wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:26 pm
A few thoughts after the Griz win, and reading everyone's comments before and after the game. in response to my OP. First off, hats off to UM for a great win. That was obviously a very impressive performance, and while I certainly wasn't rooting for them, a win like that is good for the entire BSC, and for the FCS in general. I don't take back what I said about UM arrogance though, and in fact that arrogance was on full display by Bobby during that post-game press conference. News flash for you Bobby....not everyone in Montana "lives and breathes" for the UM Grizzlies. Is there anyone on the planet who's more cocky and unlikable than that guy? Some people can be cocky in sort of a charming way, but Bobby is cocky in the least charming way imaginable.

A friendly reminder for Griz fans though...they were equally cocky after they upset NDSU in the 2015 opener (and Stitt's debut), but that season didn't turn out to be all that "dazzling". as UM got thumped by NDSU in the rematch in the 2nd round of the playoffs, . Although, that season (and that win over NDSU) ended up being the high water mark for the Griz during the Stitt era. Congrats to them though...they played great, especially on defense, and they deserved to win the game. I just don't think that one win necessarily anoints them as the best team in the country, or even the best team in the BSC, although it looks like they're certainly worthy of their predicted 2nd place finish in the Big Sky. They're going to be a formidable opponent for everyone in the conference, and it's going to be a big challenge to extend our winning streak in November in Missoula.
Agree. And I’m at a point in life where I would like the rivalry to be fun, not arrogant or bitter, however the chips may fall. There is no Big Sky Conference without both of our great universities. It’s a grand rivalry.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:45 pm

I certainly don’t get as triggered as many here with Hauck. I saw earlier someone was upset about his interaction with the reporter during the press conference about how he (the reporter) would rank the Griz. I thought that whole interaction was funny as hell (as did the reporters as you can hear them all laughing). Most could tell he was having a fun moment with the guy, but it obviously triggered some here. When I think of Choate and Hauck, I actually don’t think there’s a big difference in the confident attitude and swagger they both give off. Both have a confidence about them (I wouldn’t call it a cockiness) and both get their players to play real hard and to carry that confidence as well. Both seem to get a ton of love from their players. You could certainly tell Cats players would run through a wall for Choate and it looks the same for Hauck. I’m perhaps biased as I’ve been around Hauck outside of football stuff a couple times and he was always friendly and funny and good to me.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:45 pm

Here's a list of past FCS teams to beat ranked FBS teams and how the season played out for both:

2007 - Appalachian St. beats No. 5 Michigan. ASU wins NC; Michigan beats Florida in Capital One Bowl and finishes ranked No. 18 at 9-4.
2010 - James Madison beats No. 13 Virg. Tech. JMU doesn't make the playoffs; VT advances to Orange Bowl and loses to Stanford 40-12 finishes season No. 10
2013 - EWU beats No. 25 Oregon St. EWU advances to FCS semis; OSU finishes 7-6 and unranked.
2016 - NDSU beats No. 11 Iowa. NDSU advances to FCS semis; Iowa finishes 8-5 and unranked.

So the one year when a ranked FBS team (VT) lost to a FCS team and had a decent year getting to a BCS Bowl, the team that beat them didn't even make the playoffs. Who would've predicted that? Twice the FBS team didn't finish in the top 25. The ASU-Mich game went by the script as ASU won it all and Michigan fell down, but not completely off the radar.

Washington has Michigan and Ark. State, then it's PAC 12 games. It'll be interesting to follow the Huskies the rest of the year.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:52 pm

It's interesting how everyone seems to have forgotten how the game played out and are only focused on the final result, which I have to say really takes center stage as it should. I didn't watch the game, but I can't imagine either team looked very good offensively aside from UW's opening drive and the two fourth quarter drives by UM. The defenses must've played very well. I heard all 3 of UW's starting WRs were out and that UM's top 2 RBs were out, so that probably had a lot to do with the offense looking bad or the defense looking good.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:22 am

John K wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:26 pm

Yabbit, that NDSU win and then collapse was due to Stitt. Different deal here as Bobby's Back! They won't lose another game this year, or next, or the year after that. If you don't believe that, just ask the average Griz fan. :-^

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:36 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:22 am
Different deal here as Bobby's Back! They won't lose another game this year, or next, or the year after that. If you don't believe that, just ask the average Griz fan. :-^
Well, they do have a fairly easy schedule, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do rattle off a couple big wins. W. Illinois is picked to finish last in the MVFC. Hard to say what Cal Poly will be like now with Baldwin at the helm, but it's supposedly hard to recruit there.

toM StUber

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:23 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:36 pm
catatac wrote:
Different deal here as Bobby's Back! They won't lose another game this year, or next, or the year after that. If you don't believe that, just ask the average Griz fan. :-^
Well, they do have a fairly easy schedule, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do rattle off a couple big wins. W. Illinois is picked to finish last in the MVFC. Hard to say what Cal Poly will be like now with Baldwin at the helm, but it's supposedly hard to recruit there.
Oh they'll absolutely rattle off some more big wins. That is way different than not losing one more game in the next three years.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:26 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:23 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:36 pm
catatac wrote:
Oh they'll absolutely rattle off some more big wins. That is way different than not losing one more game in the next three years.
Okay, I’m just assuming that was tongue in cheek hyperbole, so let me try again.

The next two games should be relatively easy wins. People are talking about WI giving UM a game or possibly beating them. I’d say maybe if this were a few years ago, but being ranked last, albeit in the best conference, and playing on the road doesn’t bode well for that.

Cal Poly is much the same. I think the game at EWU will be the game UM is ripe to lose. Win that and they can start dreaming big things understandably. And by then maybe UW has beaten Michigan and has a couple blowouts under its belt to reinforce it.

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:01 am

As for UM's arrogance: you can't really blame them. PSU's coach Barnum was laying it on thick after the spring season, but the WIU coach really laid it on thick this week.

"We are playing a better football team this week in Montana than we just did," WIU coach Jared Elliott said when comparing UM to Ball State, which is the pre-season favorite to win the MAC. "Our players understand that. We're playing, in my opinion, one of the best football teams in the country."

I assume he means the country when he says "the country." Pretty sure that's just coach speak to keep his players' attention, but I'm confident that they're smart enough to realize UM isn't in the same class as Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, and OSU. :-s

toM StUber

Pecos24
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Pecos24 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:20 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:01 am

I assume he means the country when he says "the country." Pretty sure that's just coach speak to keep his players' attention, but I'm confident that they're smart enough to realize UM isn't in the same class as Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, and OSU. :-s
Are you sure?? :D

Bill Zander
CS '93
AKA - "F'n sorry ass"

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:35 am

Pecos24 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:20 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:01 am

Are you sure?? :D
I meant to do that. :wink:

toM StUber