College Football Playoffs

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

College Football Playoffs

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:05 pm

About time!!

College Football Playoff to consider expanding to 12-team format
11:47 AM MT
Heather Dinich
ESPN Senior Writer
The College Football Playoff management committee will consider expanding to a 12-team format when it meets in Chicago next week, marking the first step in what could be another historic change for the sport's postseason.

The three-page proposal, a copy of which was obtained by ESPN, calls for the bracket to include the six highest-ranked conference champions and the six remaining highest-ranked teams as determined by the CFP selection committee.

"No conference would qualify automatically and there would be no limit on the number of participants from a conference," the proposal states.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Re: College Football Playoffs

Post by John K » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:56 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:05 pm
About time!!

Heather Dinich
ESPN Senior Writer
The College Football Playoff management committee will consider expanding to a 12-team format when it meets in Chicago next week, marking the first step in what could be another historic change for the sport's postseason.

The three-page proposal, a copy of which was obtained by ESPN, calls for the bracket to include the six highest-ranked conference champions and the six remaining highest-ranked teams as determined by the CFP selection committee.

"No conference would qualify automatically and there would be no limit on the number of participants from a conference," the proposal states.
I'm glad they're expanding the playoff, but I'm surprised they didn't just go to 8 teams, rather than 12. I've heard several ESPN talking heads bemoaning the fact that a team could theoretically play as many as 17 games now...that it's just too many games for college kids. Of course, it's no different than FCS (and also D-II I suppose...I don't know if D-II teams are allowed to play 12-game schedules in certain years?) and I don't ever recall hearing anyone complain about teams at those lower levels playing that many games.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:08 pm

John K wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:56 pm
Cataholic wrote:
About time!!

Heather Dinich
ESPN Senior Writer

I'm glad they're expanding the playoff, but I'm surprised they didn't just go to 8 teams, rather than 12. I've heard several ESPN talking heads bemoaning the fact that a team could theoretically play as many as 17 games now...that it's just too many games for college kids. Of course, it's no different than FCS (and also D-II I suppose...I don't know if D-II teams are allowed to play 12-game schedules in certain years?) and I don't ever recall hearing anyone complain about teams at those lower levels playing that many games.
All the talking heads care about is FBS schools, they have almost zero regard for any lower division schools.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:13 pm

John K wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
About time!!

Heather Dinich
ESPN Senior Writer

One option to lower the number of games is to get rid of the conference championships. That won’t happen though because there is too much money in those P5 conference championships.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:50 pm

John K wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
About time!!

Heather Dinich
ESPN Senior Writer

I’ll add that the FCS and D-2 players actually have to go to class and most of any don’t have made-up majors for athletes. I know that plenty of FBS players take academics seriously but at Oregon I know they have tutors available for all players if needed.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride