Page 1 of 1

Dixie State rebrand

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:25 am
by BelgradeBobcat
I'm guessing it'll be Utah Tech or Utah Poly

Re: Dixie State rebrand

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:41 am
by The Butcher
That is some real institutional pride when you don't even like your college's name. :wink:

In all seriousness; it makes sense to change the name based on the history behind it. I also always thought the name was kind of lame. "I am a proud Dixie alum" just seems tough to say in a job interview. :lol:

Re: Dixie State rebrand

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:37 am
by Montanabob
Let the name calling begin:
(St. George, Utah was named in honor of Mormon apostle George A. Smith, also known as the “Potato Saint” because he urged early settlers to eat raw, unpeeled potatoes to cure scurvy. Smith did not participate in the town's settlement, but personally selected many of the pioneers that originally settled the area.)

Southern Southern Utah University (catchy for a song title, take me to Southern Southern Utah U!)
St George University (not likely, will offend the anti-Mormon folks)
South Potato U (not likely, this will offend Idaho residents)

And my personal recommendation
Nuclear U
(In the early 1950s, St. George received the brunt of the fallout of above-ground nuclear testing at the Yucca Flats/Nevada Test Site northwest of Las Vegas. Winds routinely carried the fallout of these tests directly through the St. George and southern Utah area. Marked increases in the frequency of cancer in the population, not limited to leukemia, lymphoma, thyroid cancer, breast cancer, melanoma, bone cancer, brain tumors, and gastrointestinal tract cancers, were reported from the mid-1950s until the early 1980s)

Re: Dixie State rebrand

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:02 pm
by coloradocat
I feel like U of T&A, one of the options mentioned in the article, would not go over well in a Utah.

Re: Dixie State rebrand

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:22 pm
by grizzh8r
coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:02 pm
I feel like U of T&A, one of the options mentioned in the article, would not go over well in a Utah.
Bahaha, that's awesome.

That said, I'm so tired of cancel culture.

Re: Dixie State rebrand

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:32 pm
by Bobcat4Ever
This is just ridiculous. In the early settlement years, because of the hot climate cotton was grown in the St. George and Virgin River Valley areas. Thus this low-elevation part of Utah became known as “Utah’s Dixie.” Not in need of cancelling at all.

Re: Dixie State rebrand

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:04 am
by CelticCat
I mean, you are ignoring some of the history of the school:

In the 50s and 60s, they adopted "Rebel" as their nickname, they made a Rebel their school mascot (Confederate soldier), and they adopted the Confederate flag as a school symbol. The flag was in use until 1993, the mascot was dropped in 2005, and they dropped the Rebels nickname in 2007. They tied themselves with Old South imagery for decades.

I mean, one of their dorms is named Shiloh, a site of a Civil War battle.

Re: Dixie State rebrand

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:23 pm
by grizzh8r
CelticCat wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:04 am
I mean, you are ignoring some of the history of the school:

In the 50s and 60s, they adopted "Rebel" as their nickname, they made a Rebel their school mascot (Confederate soldier), and they adopted the Confederate flag as a school symbol. The flag was in use until 1993, the mascot was dropped in 2005, and they dropped the Rebels nickname in 2007. They tied themselves with Old South imagery for decades.

I mean, one of their dorms is named Shiloh, a site of a Civil War battle.
So we can't acknowledge Confederate history any more? It is a part of the history of this nation, from a different time with different views. Confederate soldiers were just as much Americans as their Union counterparts. Removing all references to the Confederacy from our culture and - if the woke libtards have their way - from our history is no different than the Nazis burning books.

And for the record, the name Shiloh predates Civil War history by a couple millennia...

https://ohbabynames.com/all-baby-names/shiloh/

Re: Dixie State rebrand

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:44 pm
by RickRund
grizzh8r wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:23 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:04 am
I mean, you are ignoring some of the history of the school:

In the 50s and 60s, they adopted "Rebel" as their nickname, they made a Rebel their school mascot (Confederate soldier), and they adopted the Confederate flag as a school symbol. The flag was in use until 1993, the mascot was dropped in 2005, and they dropped the Rebels nickname in 2007. They tied themselves with Old South imagery for decades.

I mean, one of their dorms is named Shiloh, a site of a Civil War battle.
So we can't acknowledge Confederate history any more? It is a part of the history of this nation, from a different time with different views. Confederate soldiers were just as much Americans as their Union counterparts. Removing all references to the Confederacy from our culture and - if the woke libtards have their way - from our history is no different than the Nazis burning books.

And for the record, the name Shiloh predates Civil War history by a couple millennia...

https://ohbabynames.com/all-baby-names/shiloh/
Couldn't agree more...

Re: Dixie State rebrand

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:11 pm
by coloradocat
grizzh8r wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:23 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:04 am
I mean, you are ignoring some of the history of the school:

In the 50s and 60s, they adopted "Rebel" as their nickname, they made a Rebel their school mascot (Confederate soldier), and they adopted the Confederate flag as a school symbol. The flag was in use until 1993, the mascot was dropped in 2005, and they dropped the Rebels nickname in 2007. They tied themselves with Old South imagery for decades.

I mean, one of their dorms is named Shiloh, a site of a Civil War battle.
So we can't acknowledge Confederate history any more? It is a part of the history of this nation, from a different time with different views. Confederate soldiers were just as much Americans as their Union counterparts. Removing all references to the Confederacy from our culture and - if the woke libtards have their way - from our history is no different than the Nazis burning books.

And for the record, the name Shiloh predates Civil War history by a couple millennia...

https://ohbabynames.com/all-baby-names/shiloh/
It's one thing to decry cancel culture. It's a whole different thing to argue that a university in Utah shouldn't change it's name because we would lose a connection to US history. There's an argument to be made for the historical value of Civil War/Confederacy references in the states that were involved but I don't think you can stretch that all the way to a state that wasn't admitted into the union until over 30 years after the war ended. This seems like one of those "pick your battles" situations.

Re: Dixie State rebrand

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:57 pm
by wbtfg
[quote=grizzh8r post_id=732125 time=1623349436 user_id=508]
[quote=CelticCat post_id=732102 time=1623337476 user_id=109]
I mean, you are ignoring some of the history of the school:

In the 50s and 60s, they adopted "Rebel" as their nickname, they made a Rebel their school mascot (Confederate soldier), and they adopted the Confederate flag as a school symbol. The flag was in use until 1993, the mascot was dropped in 2005, and they dropped the Rebels nickname in 2007. They tied themselves with Old South imagery for decades.

I mean, one of their dorms is named Shiloh, a site of a Civil War battle.
[/quote]

So we can't acknowledge Confederate history any more? It is a part of the history of this nation, from a different time with different views. Confederate soldiers were just as much Americans as their Union counterparts. Removing all references to the Confederacy from our culture and - if the woke libtards have their way - from our history is no different than the Nazis burning books.

And for the record, the name Shiloh predates Civil War history by a couple millennia...

https://ohbabynames.com/all-baby-names/shiloh/
[/quote]

I think you missed the point of his post. That’s not what he’s saying at all.

Re: Dixie State rebrand

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:52 am
by MSU01
Montanabob wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:37 am
Let the name calling begin:
(St. George, Utah was named in honor of Mormon apostle George A. Smith, also known as the “Potato Saint” because he urged early settlers to eat raw, unpeeled potatoes to cure scurvy. Smith did not participate in the town's settlement, but personally selected many of the pioneers that originally settled the area.)

Southern Southern Utah University (catchy for a song title, take me to Southern Southern Utah U!)
St George University (not likely, will offend the anti-Mormon folks)
South Potato U (not likely, this will offend Idaho residents)

And my personal recommendation
Nuclear U
(In the early 1950s, St. George received the brunt of the fallout of above-ground nuclear testing at the Yucca Flats/Nevada Test Site northwest of Las Vegas. Winds routinely carried the fallout of these tests directly through the St. George and southern Utah area. Marked increases in the frequency of cancer in the population, not limited to leukemia, lymphoma, thyroid cancer, breast cancer, melanoma, bone cancer, brain tumors, and gastrointestinal tract cancers, were reported from the mid-1950s until the early 1980s)
Having driven this stretch of I-15 a fair number of times over the years heading to and from Vegas and Southern California, I think we have a winner here with Southern Southern Utah University, or SSUU!

Re: Dixie State rebrand

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:54 am
by wbtfg
MSU01 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:52 am
Montanabob wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:37 am
Let the name calling begin:
(St. George, Utah was named in honor of Mormon apostle George A. Smith, also known as the “Potato Saint” because he urged early settlers to eat raw, unpeeled potatoes to cure scurvy. Smith did not participate in the town's settlement, but personally selected many of the pioneers that originally settled the area.)

Southern Southern Utah University (catchy for a song title, take me to Southern Southern Utah U!)
St George University (not likely, will offend the anti-Mormon folks)
South Potato U (not likely, this will offend Idaho residents)

And my personal recommendation
Nuclear U
(In the early 1950s, St. George received the brunt of the fallout of above-ground nuclear testing at the Yucca Flats/Nevada Test Site northwest of Las Vegas. Winds routinely carried the fallout of these tests directly through the St. George and southern Utah area. Marked increases in the frequency of cancer in the population, not limited to leukemia, lymphoma, thyroid cancer, breast cancer, melanoma, bone cancer, brain tumors, and gastrointestinal tract cancers, were reported from the mid-1950s until the early 1980s)
Having driven this stretch of I-15 a fair number of times over the years heading to and from Vegas and Southern California, I think we have a winner here with Southern Southern Utah University, or SSUU!
:lol:

Re: Dixie State rebrand

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:00 am
by CelticCat
I've had several responses typed up, but I think I'll just leave it at this. Dixie State is an aspiring, growing university and for the last several decades they've been slowly getting rid of their ties to the Old South. They stopped calling their yearbook the Confederate sometime in the 90s, probably around the same time they dropped the Confederate flag from school use, and they dropped their mascot and changed their nickname in the early 2000s. They realize they have a public perception problem and are smartly taking steps to correct it.

Re: Dixie State rebrand

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:10 pm
by The Butcher
CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:00 am
I've had several responses typed up, but I think I'll just leave it at this. Dixie State is an aspiring, growing university and for the last several decades they've been slowly getting rid of their ties to the Old South. They stopped calling their yearbook the Confederate sometime in the 90s, probably around the same time they dropped the Confederate flag from school use, and they dropped their mascot and changed their nickname in the early 2000s. They realize they have a public perception problem and are smartly taking steps to correct it.
This is obviously a business move more or less. Surprised that someone compared this to Nazism before capitalism. :?

Re: Dixie State rebrand

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:56 pm
by RickRund
I know Butch. Really sorry to hear Celtic Cat bring naziism into the conversation????? Huh.

Re: Dixie State rebrand

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:25 pm
by CelticCat
RickRund wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:56 pm
I know Butch. Really sorry to hear Celtic Cat bring naziism into the conversation????? Huh.
I did?

Re: Dixie State rebrand

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:56 am
by RickRund
CelticCat wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:25 pm
RickRund wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:56 pm
I know Butch. Really sorry to hear Celtic Cat bring naziism into the conversation????? Huh.
I did?
Read your post again. I am sure it is there somewhere. At least implied :lol: :lol:

Re: Dixie State rebrand

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:45 pm
by oedipuss
The Butcher wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:10 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:00 am
I've had several responses typed up, but I think I'll just leave it at this. Dixie State is an aspiring, growing university and for the last several decades they've been slowly getting rid of their ties to the Old South. They stopped calling their yearbook the Confederate sometime in the 90s, probably around the same time they dropped the Confederate flag from school use, and they dropped their mascot and changed their nickname in the early 2000s. They realize they have a public perception problem and are smartly taking steps to correct it.
This is obviously a business move more or less. Surprised that someone compared this to Nazism before capitalism. :?
U-Tech sounds like a great re-brand. I really think Portland State missed the boat years ago when they could have renamed themselves Oregon Polytechnic and gone by "The OP". Weber State should also really look into a rebrand as they are now the only state school in D1 without Utah in their name. City-state university names are pretty bad for the most part - but county state names are just stupid.