UM/PSU

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

UM/PSU

Post by Cataholic » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:47 am

PSU throws long pass at end of 1st quarter for big gain. Flag thrown for ineligible downfield brings the ball back. I rewound it and the closest lineman is at least 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Nice homer play in exhibition.

RationalGriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: UM/PSU

Post by RationalGriz » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:34 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:47 am
PSU throws long pass at end of 1st quarter for big gain. Flag thrown for ineligible downfield brings the ball back. I rewound it and the closest lineman is at least 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Nice homer play in exhibition.
Didn't see the play, but could one of the receivers have been covered up?

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:40 pm

RationalGriz wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:34 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Negative. Was not a factor.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:44 pm

Hate to say it, but Griz look good. They are up 27-0 at the half. Sulser looks good along with Humphrey, receivers and their two backs. PSU offense looks pretty bad.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:06 pm

QB Cam Humphrey just went down with a neck injury. This spring exhibition game could prove to be very costly.

griz5700

Post by griz5700 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:07 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:06 pm
QB Cam Humphrey just went down with a neck injury. This spring exhibition game could prove to be very costly.
Nah.

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ
http://goo.gl/A6rsSA

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:08 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:40 pm
RationalGriz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Looked to me like both TEs were covered up and both went out for passes.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:06 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:08 pm
Cataholic wrote:
RationalGriz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
I thought the announcer said that he thought it was the center. Maybe I misunderstood. But if you had both TE covered up, that would mean you had two tight end set, with 9 guys on the line of scrimmage (both wr covering each tight end) and a single running back. I didn’t record the game but almost positive that was not the set.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:36 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:06 pm
94VegasCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
RationalGriz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
I thought the announcer said that he thought it was the center. Maybe I misunderstood. But if you had both TE covered up, that would mean you had two tight end set, with 9 guys on the line of scrimmage (both wr covering each tight end) and a single running back. I didn’t record the game but almost positive that was not the set.
Or they called the wrong penaly, too many on the line, and then that would be the call and another screw up by BSC officials which is highly probability.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:32 pm

The Griz are going to be a tough, physical team this Fall. I think the Cats will be too. I think they will be duking it out for the title.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:18 pm

They beat up on 2 patsies. Big deal. They don’t have a QB and they’re still soft. And slow. We’ll kick their ass all over again.

GO CATS GO!!!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:38 am

Wait, they only gave Bobby houck five tackles? Did he even play in the game?
Last edited by Montanabob on Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:55 am

I would’ve treated these games as NFL preseason/exhibition games. No locked in starters play for more than one quarter. See what the backups can do when the score is close. Both of the games were over by mid third quarter, so everyone was relaxed and playing loose with the only objective (pressure) impressing the coaches. Opponents, meanwhile, are checking out.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

dupuyer griz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by dupuyer griz » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:33 am

94VegasCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
RationalGriz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
I was at the game and the referee stated that the tight end was covered. You’d think they could share the audio of what they say.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:16 am

BozoneCat wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:18 pm
They beat up on 2 patsies. Big deal. They don’t have a QB and they’re still soft. And slow. We’ll kick their ass all over again.
Humphrey looked a lot better vs PSU than he did vs. Central Wash (I only watched the first half). Was more consistent this time. But he's a step back from Sneed, for sure.
And the griz O line created some push in the run game this time as well. Either they improved alot in 1 week, or CWU has a better run D than PSU... not sure. :-k

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:22 pm

dupuyer griz wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:33 am
94VegasCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
RationalGriz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
I was at the game and the referee stated that the tight end was covered. You’d think they could share the audio of what they say.
So what they are saying is they called the wrong penalty. I should have been 8 men on the line of scrimmage.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:48 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:16 am
BozoneCat wrote:
Humphrey looked a lot better vs PSU than he did vs. Central Wash (I only watched the first half). Was more consistent this time. But he's a step back from Sneed, for sure.
And the griz O line created some push in the run game this time as well. Either they improved alot in 1 week, or CWU has a better run D than PSU... not sure. :-k
Hard to say. Hauck said something about 'sending a statement' or 'putting everyone on notice,' about the Griz being back. So I'm assuming he put a lot into winning these games. I'm not so sure either CWU or PSU went in with that kind of mindset. You also have to acknowledge that this was PSU's only game while UM had one under its belt.

As for Hauck's comment, I'm wondering if he was just joking. I don't think anyone has been underestimating UM these past 12 years, so I don't think anyone needed to be put on notice. UM hasn't completely sucked and has been a playoff-caliber team every year. If he was serious, this just adds to the reservations I have about him this time through at UM. That just seems kind of delusional to me, along with how he game-planned for MSU in 2019 thinking Troy would play QB. And, how he ran the same play after MSU called TO in 2018 to, obviously, look at the formation UM was going to run. He "explained" at the press conference by saying something to the effect that, we had run that same play all game and it was working, so why not stick with it. However, Eastwood had 9 carries for 23 yards coming into that play, in 5 for 12 yards in the second half.

He took a cut in pay to return to UM, but he got some good perks and he got to bring his son with him and give him every opportunity to play. That's not to say Robbie couldn't have started at NAU, he probably could and as much flack as I, and others here give him, he's a good player. But how nice to have your old man as the head coach. Sure it has some pitfalls, but when Robbie is pissed at the HC he'll always have mom, siblings, grandparents backing him up. You know it's true. :lol: Can you put a price tag on coaching your own kid? That's got to be worth a good chunk of the pay cut.

He was also just the special teams coordinator and associate HC at a MWC school, so there wasn't much holding him back. Griz fans made a big deal about Hauck blowing off a potential HC position to come back to UM. I'd have to say he was no more of a candidate there than Vigen would've been at Wyoming. A solid candidate, but certainly not a lock and Vigen left a more prestigious (offensive coordinator) coaching position.

Sorry, I got a little carried away, but I'm having a tough time giving UM too much credit for these games. Did they look good? Yes. Am I surprised? No. UM is in there with WSU, MSU, EWU as a top BSC team. Weber rarely blows anyone away. EWU had a couple lop-sided wins, but that happens. Play a full schedule and you're gonna get some blowouts and some scares.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:03 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:48 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:16 am
BozoneCat wrote:
Hard to say. Hauck said something about 'sending a statement' or 'putting everyone on notice,' about the Griz being back. So I'm assuming he put a lot into winning these games. I'm not so sure either CWU or PSU went in with that kind of mindset. You also have to acknowledge that this was PSU's only game while UM had one under its belt.

As for Hauck's comment, I'm wondering if he was just joking. I don't think anyone has been underestimating UM these past 12 years, so I don't think anyone needed to be put on notice. UM hasn't completely sucked and has been a playoff-caliber team every year. If he was serious, this just adds to the reservations I have about him this time through at UM. That just seems kind of delusional to me, along with how he game-planned for MSU in 2019 thinking Troy would play QB. And, how he ran the same play after MSU called TO in 2018 to, obviously, look at the formation UM was going to run. He "explained" at the press conference by saying something to the effect that, we had run that same play all game and it was working, so why not stick with it. However, Eastwood had 9 carries for 23 yards coming into that play, in 5 for 12 yards in the second half.

He took a cut in pay to return to UM, but he got some good perks and he got to bring his son with him and give him every opportunity to play. That's not to say Robbie couldn't have started at NAU, he probably could and as much flack as I, and others here give him, he's a good player. But how nice to have your old man as the head coach. Sure it has some pitfalls, but when Robbie is pissed at the HC he'll always have mom, siblings, grandparents backing him up. You know it's true. :lol: Can you put a price tag on coaching your own kid? That's got to be worth a good chunk of the pay cut.

He was also just the special teams coordinator and associate HC at a MWC school, so there wasn't much holding him back. Griz fans made a big deal about Hauck blowing off a potential HC position to come back to UM. I'd have to say he was no more of a candidate there than Vigen would've been at Wyoming. A solid candidate, but certainly not a lock and Vigen left a more prestigious (offensive coordinator) coaching position.

Sorry, I got a little carried away, but I'm having a tough time giving UM too much credit for these games. Did they look good? Yes. Am I surprised? No. UM is in there with WSU, MSU, EWU as a top BSC team. Weber rarely blows anyone away. EWU had a couple lop-sided wins, but that happens. Play a full schedule and you're gonna get some blowouts and some scares.
I totally agree with you on Hauck being delusional. I have to shake my head anytime this "game planned for Troy" quote gets brought up. First of all I think its just a bulls**t excuse for getting their asses handed to them and not wanting to give the MSU coaches any credit for badly, badly outcoaching the um staff. Second, MSU's offense still ran many direct snaps to the RB, except that the RB was Isaiah instead of Troy, and Isaiah had about 180 yards and 3 touchdowns. If they truly spent the week preparing for Troy at QB (a tough runner who isn't much threat to throw) then MSU wouldn't have rushed for almost 400 yards, and Isaiah wouldn't have had so much success on those direct RB snaps. Makes me wonder if Hauck even believes the crap that comes out of his own mouth.

John K
Golden Bobcat

RWe: UM/PSU

Post by John K » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:38 pm

I can hardly stomach listening to that Griz homer Grady Bennett anymore. At one point, he said something to the effect that the UM program has always been built upon having a core of homegrown talent and getting the best in-state players, and how "kids from Montana would give anything to play for the Griz". A comment like that just comes off as being so arrogant and condescending towards MSU. I guess he's forgotten how many of his own Glacier HS players have played for the Cats recently. We've had a bunch of kids from Glacier over the last several years...more than UM has had. We've also had more in-state kids overall, for a number of years now.

As far as their prospects for the upcoming fall season, I watched most of both their games, and I thought they looked pretty good, but I don't know how much you can take away from those games. I certainly expect them to be a contender for the BSC title, but I wouldn't necessarily place them above the other usual suspects, MSU, EWU and WSU, just based upon those two blowouts over clearly inferior opponents. I haven't paid much attention to the BSC/FCS spring season so far, but I am interested to see how EWU and WSU fare in the playoffs. I think EWU has a legitimate shot at taking down NDSU, as the Bison are obviously not invincible this year. I'm also more convinced than ever that MSU made the right decision in opting out of the spring season.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:56 pm

Pre-Bobby hire. MSU 0-16. Post-Bobby hire. MSU 8-8. Vs Bobby 4-5, including two of the best Cat-Griz wins by MSU in history. You could make a case that Bobby has helped MSU.

The one thing I never would've predicted is how good everyone would think UM is. I just read the story from the Missoulian and the both the CWU and PSU coach are saying UM would've won the the BSC or FCS title if they'd played the spring season. :shock:
“I don’t know if he took my comment the right way, but I did say it’d be really interesting to have seen the Griz play the Big Sky season this year because I think they would be sitting at the top of that,” Fisk said after the Griz trounced his team, 59-3.

“That’s not just because they put it on us pretty good. I think that’s a talented football team. I think this is my eighth Big Sky game that I’ve been a part of, we’ve played a number of schools, and this was by far the fastest, most physical, they had very few execution errors, a really well coached team, and you could tell they’ve got some veteran players out there.”

Portland State coach Bruce Barnum, who has a growing friendship with Hauck, had even higher praise after UM shellacked his team, 48-7, on April 17. He declared “the Griz are back” and that he expects them to be competing for the FCS national championship in the fall.

UM may have been competing for a national title this spring if it played the Big Sky’s spring season. But the Griz chose to opt out, a combination of a player safety issue while preparing in Montana’s winter and keeping an eye on the future so they're in position to compete for a title in the fall.

Hauck sounded satisfied with that decision three months later after the win over PSU. When asked if he would’ve liked to be playing for a national title this spring after seeing his team’s success, he said, “No. Just don’t want to. Don’t see the value in it.”

Don’t see the value, so how much legitimacy does he think the FCS champ this spring has? “None, we’re not in it,” he opined.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber