UM/CWU

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PortlandCat90
BobcatNation Team Captain

UM/CWU

Post by PortlandCat90 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:27 am

UM just published their depth chart for the spring game against Central Washington. A few things caught my eye from this and their roster:

+ No Marcus Knight on the depth chart - must be holding him out for Fall Ball? That would be the prudent thing with as much as he is used and needed

+ Does the DL/DE group look thin? Really only 2 guys on the entire D roster (DL) over 260.

+ Looks as if they are still running the 3-3-5, which I'm sure Vigen was already aware. Our OL and RB room has to be salivating seeing this again.

https://ewscripps.brightspotcdn.com/67/ ... o-deep.pdf

As much as I crave MSU football right now, I am glad we passed on the Spring Season. I just have a feeling in my gut we would see some injuries that we wouldn't want to see in a meaningless partial season.

MTCowpoke22
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: UM/CWU

Post by MTCowpoke22 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:36 am

Word over on E-griz is that Knight is somewhere between a little banged up and sitting out the spring games, to he tore his ACL and will be out next fall as well.

There's the truth, and then there's what's reported in the papers.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:43 am

PortlandCat90 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:27 am
UM just published their depth chart for the spring game against Central Washington. A few things caught my eye from this and their roster:

+ No Marcus Knight on the depth chart - must be holding him out for Fall Ball? That would be the prudent thing with as much as he is used and needed

+ Does the DL/DE group look thin? Really only 2 guys on the entire D roster (DL) over 260.

+ Looks as if they are still running the 3-3-5, which I'm sure Vigen was already aware. Our OL and RB room has to be salivating seeing this again.

As much as I crave MSU football right now, I am glad we passed on the Spring Season. I just have a feeling in my gut we would see some injuries that we wouldn't want to see in a meaningless partial season.
It's UM. It's Bobby Hauck. What did you expect? A coach that can't control his players and had the worst off-field issues of any university in the country over his coaching career at UM is going to do stuff like this. It's just in his nature. I feel sorry for his players. I really do.

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:51 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:43 am
PortlandCat90 wrote:

It's UM. It's Bobby Hauck. What did you expect? A coach that can't control his players and had the worst off-field issues of any university in the country over his coaching career at UM is going to do stuff like this. It's just in his nature. I feel sorry for his players. I really do.
Feel sorry for the his players for having to play football? I’m may be just spit ballin here but my guess is every single one of those players is excited as hell to play. I’m actually more concerned we aren’t playing at all and that the players are frustrated with that too.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:20 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:51 am
iaafan wrote:
PortlandCat90 wrote:

Feel sorry for the his players for having to play football? I’m may be just spit ballin here but my guess is every single one of those players is excited as hell to play. I’m actually more concerned we aren’t playing at all and that the players are frustrated with that too.
I was talking about Bobby Hauck.

But, yes, I do sometimes feel sorry for people even when they're doing what they want to do, because I know that even though they like doing it, it's not in their best interests.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:31 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:51 am
iaafan wrote:
PortlandCat90 wrote:

I'm pretty certain that the team leaders at MSU voted that they didn't want to play this spring.

GO CATS GO!!!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:44 pm

PortlandCat90 wrote:

Just a few comments on this. Yes, I have heard from a Griz fan buddy that Knight is out for the rest of the year. We were talking about backup RBs and I honestly wasn't sure if I'd see this day..... but literally I think the Griz faithful that understand football would take our 5th or 6th string RB over whatever RBs they currently have on that roster. I'm not saying they don't have some talented backups there because they do, but MSU is incredibly loaded at that position. Couple that with our dominant O Line and our running attack is going to be formidable once again. Agree that we'll push the Griz defense around again come Fall. However, that Griz O Line will be improved and I don't know if they'll be at the quality level of MSU but they are going to be huge if nothing else. Last, there was a podcast with Bobby on there and it was actually quite entertaining and fun to listen to, but at one point when asked about whether these BS teams playing right now were playing for a legit Big Sky title he said something to the effect of, "Any Big Sky contest without Montana playing, isn't a real contest" or something like that. :roll: I honestly think he can't help himself.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:50 pm

As a coach you always have to sell sell sell. Some do that by putting others down. Some don’t. I don’t care, whatever works.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:36 am

Is anyone else watching this game? Dumbass Grady Bennett keeps referring to the transfer portal, as the transfer protocol. The first time he did it, I figured it was probably just a slip of the tongue....could happen to anybody. But then he said it again, just a short time later. I hope no players had to sit out the game, because they had to enter the Covid portal....haha. It's the usual Griz broadcast, i.e. homer lovefest. With only 5,000 fans, the stadium is almost as quiet as it was at the end of the 2018 Cat-Griz game...and the 2016 game, and the 2012 game, and the 2010 game, and the 2002 game. Not only were we 4-1 there during the 2010's, but we've got a winning record there (5-4) since the streak ended.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:00 pm

John K wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:36 am
Is anyone else watching this game? Dumbass Grady Bennett keeps referring to the transfer portal, as the transfer protocol. The first time he did it, I figured it was probably just a slip of the tongue....could happen to anybody. But then he said it again, just a short time later. I hope no players had to sit out the game, because they had to enter the Covid portal....haha. It's the usual Griz broadcast, i.e. homer lovefest. With only 5,000 fans, the stadium is almost as quiet as it was at the end of the 2018 Cat-Griz game...and the 2016 game, and the 2012 game, and the 2010 game, and the 2002 game. Not only were we 4-1 there during the 2010's, but we've got a winning record there (5-4) since the streak ended.
Haha!! And Ron Davis is just as bad on his Griz homer bias. Hard to stomach.

CWU looks really overmatched but they are hanging in. Griz have some weapons but can’t tell if they are effective because CWU is D2 or if the Griz are decent. The CWU quarterback has to quit throwing the ball up for grabs though. That is going to be disastrous in the end.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:05 pm

Glad I'm not desperate enough to watch.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:07 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:05 pm
Glad I'm not desperate enough to watch.
I am hoping for the upset. CWU 3 - UM 10. 11:00 minutes left in the 2nd.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:10 pm

Curious, but there seems to be no social distancing in parts of the stadium. Aren’t they limiting attendance so people can spread out?

griz5700

Post by griz5700 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:37 pm

Kris Brown and Ryan Simpson are going to be fun to watch the next 4 years.

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ
http://goo.gl/A6rsSA

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:51 pm

Idaho State and Weber State on now, Idaho and EWU starting in a few
https://bigskyconf.com/sports/2015/11/1 ... igSky.aspx

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:28 pm

Totally forgot about this game. Truthfully I keep forgetting anyone is playing this pretend season. What was the final score?

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:45 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:28 pm
Totally forgot about this game. Truthfully I keep forgetting anyone is playing this pretend season. What was the final score?
59-3 Griz. They did some good, some bad. I figured it would be a little closer than that but CWU just couldn’t get anything going.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:03 pm

Wow!!! The Griz are good. I know it’s just spring season, but they look good.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:05 pm

griz5700 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:37 pm
Really? That’s cool. A couple Bozeman kids doing well again in Missoula

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

griz5700

Post by griz5700 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:46 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:05 pm
griz5700 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:37 pm
Really? That’s cool. A couple Bozeman kids doing well again in Missoula
Kris Brown is going to be really, really good.

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ
http://goo.gl/A6rsSA