Krysko out at Utah

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

John K
Golden Bobcat

Krysko out at Utah

Post by John K » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:36 am

I don't really follow college hoops very closely, except for MSU and the BSC, and during March Madness, but I was sorta surprised to see that Utah fired Larry K. I thought he'd generally had pretty good teams there, but I guess they fell off a little bit the last few years? Even though he's a Griz, I've always sorta rooted for Krysko, as a fellow Toole County guy. I'm originally from Sunburst, and he lived in Shelby through his sophomore year of HS, before moving to Missoula. He's always seemed like a pretty good guy, from everything I've heard. He was the last BSC coach to win a game in the NCAA tourney, when UM upset Nevada in 2006. He hasn't really had all that much success though, since leaving Missoula for the Milwaukee Bucks job. It seems like Utah did pretty well his first few years, but apparently he couldn't sustain it, for whatever reason. It will be interesting to see where he'll land.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Re: Krysko out at Utah

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:03 pm

John K wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:36 am
I don't really follow college hoops very closely, except for MSU and the BSC, and during March Madness, but I was sorta surprised to see that Utah fired Larry K. I thought he'd generally had pretty good teams there, but I guess they fell off a little bit the last few years? Even though he's a Griz, I've always sorta rooted for Krysko, as a fellow Toole County guy. I'm originally from Sunburst, and he lived in Shelby through his sophomore year of HS, before moving to Missoula. He's always seemed like a pretty good guy, from everything I've heard. He was the last BSC coach to win a game in the NCAA tourney, when UM upset Nevada in 2006. He hasn't really had all that much success though, since leaving Missoula for the Milwaukee Bucks job. It seems like Utah did pretty well his first few years, but apparently he couldn't sustain it, for whatever reason. It will be interesting to see where he'll land.
Inconsistency was his main issue. There were games this year where they looked fantastic and then games where they didn't even show up. That was a problem his whole tenure. In 2015 or 2016 he had 3 future NBA players on the team in Delon Wright, Kyle Kuzma and Jacob Poertl, and even that team had issues. The only reason they made the tourney that year was because of the talent on the roster. As a Utah fan I'm glad he's finally gone.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Re: Krysko out at Utah

Post by JDoub » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:37 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:03 pm
John K wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:36 am
Inconsistency was his main issue. There were games this year where they looked fantastic and then games where they didn't even show up. That was a problem his whole tenure. In 2015 or 2016 he had 3 future NBA players on the team in Delon Wright, Kyle Kuzma and Jacob Poertl, and even that team had issues. The only reason they made the tourney that year was because of the talent on the roster. As a Utah fan I'm glad he's finally gone.

agree with this

while his old teammate Tinkle has OSU in the Elite Eight